Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - My personal world got shook up today. - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

TofuTheGreat

Post Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:34 pm   Reply with quote         

My 13-year old daughter told me about an event that happened at school today. Keep in mind that this is a very small community (total population of the main city and surrounding area is probably less than 40,000).

One of the students brought a gun to school.

Luckily, thank God (and if you don't believe I don't care right at the moment), another student with knowledge about the gun alerted the administration.

The school was put on lock-down and police dogs were brought in (I assume to look for other weapons possibly including explosives?). During the search several lockers were found to contain illegal narcotics. Shocked

Then she tells me that the boy who brought the gun had been kicked out of his previous school for bringing weapons into that school.

To top this off the school didn't let any of the parents know this had happened. Nothing.

Don't know why I'm telling all of you this. I guess I just had to say something to somebody. So many emotions have gone through me in the last hour. Confused

Post Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:45 pm   Reply with quote         

Yikes Tofu! Thank goodness for the kid who tipped off the admin. Count your blessings things didn't turn out ugly, as they very well could have.

On that note, what the heck is wrong with youth today!? Scary stuff. Shocked Confused

Post Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:51 pm   Reply with quote         

Whoa.

ScionShade

Post Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:00 pm   Reply with quote         

God bless ya for having a life that this seems extraordinary.
Just figure, most cases where a kid pulls something like that,
he's just trying to impress his peers. It's normal, just less common these days.

rashdog
Site Moderator

Post Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:08 pm   Reply with quote         

It is scary to think about that stuff, Tofu.
But I'll tell you, I have taught a wide variety of teenagers age 14-18 for 18 years in three different states and two different regions of the US, including the midwest.

Only one scared the hell out of me.

I see far more good teens than bad ones.

(I'll never forget the time I was called a motherf***er in class by one student, only to be like his best friend the very next year.)

Smile

TofuTheGreat

Post Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:35 pm   Reply with quote         

bsoholic wrote:
Yikes Tofu! Thank goodness for the kid who tipped off the admin. Count your blessings things didn't turn out ugly, as they very well could have.

On that note, what the heck is wrong with youth today!? Scary stuff. Shocked Confused

Counting and counting again. Smile And I had the same thought myself (about what's wrong with the kids).

ScionShade wrote:
God bless ya for having a life that this seems extraordinary.

That is a good thing to remember. Thanks for pointing that out Scion. Kind of a silver lining thing eh? Very Happy

rashdog wrote:
Only one scared the hell out of me.

I see far more good teens than bad ones.

(I'll never forget the time I was called a motherf***er in class by one student, only to be like his best friend the very next year.)

Smile

I know there's tons more good kids. The good kids probably outnumber the bad apples 50:1 at this school. Again that's one thing that I should keep reminding myself of.

But it's the thought of that one kid that scares the hell out of the teachers that worries me at night. Confused I worry that one my kids will be on the wrong side of that one kid's anger and frustration at the wrong time.

I think the reason this incident hit me so bad is that about a month or so ago my daughter and another student overheard a conversation about a drug deal. My daughter and the other kid did the "right thing" and tipped the admins off about what they heard.

A couple kids got suspensions over the incident and somehow my daughter's "anonymous" involvement became known. She got harassed pretty bad for a while. The harassment came from kids not even involved in the original incident.

So I hear about a gun and drugs and I think about retaliation. Probably doesn't help that I went to school in Southern California and remember what the gangs were like.

Anyway thanks for keeping me from freakin' guys! I appreciate the words. A lot.

Sassy

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:35 am   Reply with quote         

Tofu we all make choices and thankfully the good kids made the correct ones...those are pretty good odds if the 50:1 ratio is true and I can also understand raising your kids in a smaller community, but it can happen anywhere these days especially true after that Amish incident.

Count your blessings it turned out the way it did.

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:37 am   Reply with quote         

I'm prayin' for ya Tofu!

My oldest is 8 now and I can't imagine what we're going to have to face when he's in high school. Confused

Not to mention the other 27 kids from my harem. They're the ones I'm really worried about. Shocked

blue_lurker

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:49 am   Reply with quote         

Shit all I have to worry about was not letting the little lurkers take ipods and cellphones to school. Confused

marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:13 am   Reply with quote         

holy hell, scary stuff Tofu, glad it all turned out ok, gun + people = only bad things

HandToolUK

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:30 am   Reply with quote         

Potentially nasty situation there, Tofu! Relieved to hear everything was safely resolved though.

marcoballistic wrote:
holy hell, scary stuff Tofu, glad it all turned out ok, gun + people = only bad things

Personally I'd agree with you, mate - but you may just offend some of our fully paid up NRA member cousins over the water... Wink

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:04 am   Reply with quote         

Yes they would use sniffer dogs to search for the gunpodwder used in the firearm. aswell as the narcotics.

they didnt tel you probably because they didnt want to worry you.

The most likly reason the kid brought the gun to school is to show it off to his mates whicch got him in trouble becuase one of his friends is a grass. which is the safe choice

And the most likly reason he would use it is if he was started or sombody though they would play hero. or he was shooting cans..

dispite all that... what kind of retarrd takes a gun into school after columbine has increased security and the status quo of guns in school

Oscar

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:39 am   Reply with quote         

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4176/is_20060920/ai_n16752702

Quote:
FREMONT - Police were continuing their investigation this afternoon of a double stabbing at Kennedy High School this morning, a gang-related crime that forced the campus to shut down until 1:30 p.m.
Crying or Very sad

I wasn't there that day, but i knew both kids Confused

This are some images !! http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?o=3&f=/c/a/2006/09/20/BAG8BL96G75.DTL

creatrix

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:33 am   Reply with quote         

Tofu, I'm so glad the gun was discovered before anybody was hurt or worse! These kids are so young they don't even remember Columbine, so it's not as ingrained in them as it is in us.

Of course every day is a risk... our loved ones could be lost in so many ways, so as always we have to be grateful for every minute. Give your daughter an extra hug tonight!

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:34 am   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
My 13-year old daughter told me about an event that happened at school today. Keep in mind that this is a very small community (total population of the main city and surrounding area is probably less than 40,000).

One of the students brought a gun to school.

Luckily, thank God (and if you don't believe I don't care right at the moment), another student with knowledge about the gun alerted the administration.

The school was put on lock-down and police dogs were brought in (I assume to look for other weapons possibly including explosives?). During the search several lockers were found to contain illegal narcotics. Shocked

Then she tells me that the boy who brought the gun had been kicked out of his previous school for bringing weapons into that school.

To top this off the school didn't let any of the parents know this had happened. Nothing.

Don't know why I'm telling all of you this. I guess I just had to say something to somebody. So many emotions have gone through me in the last hour. Confused

Granted my daughter is only 6 years old right now, but as much as I read what goes on in schools (especially highschool) I am terrified for her welfare of going to school now and in the future. Even now in first grade she comes home repeating some of the things the kids say and I have been floored by some of it, I wish I could tutor her at home instead sometimes.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - My personal world got shook up today. - Reply to topic