Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Oh the insanity - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post Wed May 02, 2007 9:55 am   Reply with quote         

Mainly for Advantage Members:

Seriously.

I know that there's more things in this world to take photos of than cats...or birds...or dolphins...or old, dilapidated houses/factories.

Or maybe Proc has a fetish for those things and keeps loading up the voting pool with those images.

Either way.

It gets a little boring after a while when you chop essentially the same thing over and over and over and over.

So, how's about some variety people? Can we at least TRY to shoot and submit a few DIFFERENT sources???

(And thanks, Shaman for the cool limo pic today.)

Me so far: 19 submitted, 7 came up for voting and all 7 were accepted.

Soze

Post Wed May 02, 2007 9:57 am   Reply with quote         

Agree with DP there are so many subjects to chop in this world!!!!

TheShaman

Post Wed May 02, 2007 10:01 am   Reply with quote         

freakin agree. ohhh another cat! whoot! lets have 2 of them! ohh lets throw some birds in for good measure, saaaay we haven't had a close up of a leaf in a while.... old buildings?! sure have 5 of them for this month Rolling Eyes oh lets have another shot of a duck, but this time with out the muck around it..... lets also not forget military week not too long ago geez...

I've submitted 25 sources as of late and so far 7 have been accepted... they all are interesting... and NO CATS Laughing I'm sure nancers will be pleased

oh and you're welcome about the limo pict!
You should have seen the drivers face when I ran up my street with my camera as he was helping my neighbor in Laughing Very Happy

Post Wed May 02, 2007 10:06 am   Reply with quote         

Well, good.

At least I'm not alone in my BOREDOM of trying to chop the same image week after week.

TheShaman

Post Wed May 02, 2007 10:09 am   Reply with quote         

its not so much boredom, as I don't want to end up doing the same thing again. To come up with a new/fresh idea is the challenge when the sources start to blend together.

Post Wed May 02, 2007 10:12 am   Reply with quote         

i really wish to chop more subjects than objects. Human faces in their thousands different epressions....... hope i let me understand in english. Smile

Post Wed May 02, 2007 10:13 am   Reply with quote         

We need objects.

Plain, simple ordinary objects.

A bar of soap.

A corkscrew.

A tire iron.

We did a lot of those once upon a time...and they were pretty fun to do All Source Chops with. And no one really resorted to doing simple cut and paste jobs.

Sigh...the good old days...Can I let go of my Advantage 2 weeks earlier? At least then it'll be SOMEWHAT of a shock when the same things show up.

(Edit: I agree with Soze as well)

splodge

Post Wed May 02, 2007 10:14 am   Reply with quote         

take some photos of objects, but trust me, .ppl will soon start complaing about them too

Hallcross Toots
mightybeet
Site Moderator

Post Wed May 02, 2007 10:15 am   Reply with quote         

u = camera + submit + vote
x = birds, cats, dolphins, ruin buildings
source = u + x

what does this all mean? that i have no math skills.

now that the spring is here soon to be the summer go outside and take some pics! may should be "find some source pics while its nice out" month... of birds cats, dolphins and ruined buildings

L@rue: I'm eating a bag of bbq chips and drink a cocacola
HandToolUK

Post Wed May 02, 2007 10:20 am   Reply with quote         

splodge wrote:
take some photos of objects, but trust me, .ppl will soon start complaing about them too

lol - listen to the wise old sage Splodge. We've been here before, and yes, some people did start complaining about having too many plain objects a while back too when JMH used to post them.

Ok, so I agree too much of any one type of pic can seem repetitive, but that's part of the whole challenge. There's really only a small number of basic types of pic it's possible to start with - the art and challenge is to turn what might seem like just another building/car/plant/statue/animal/whatever picture into something original or creative or amusing or just eyecatching enough to impress your fellow PSCers! Wink

(And yes, I know this is coming from a long-inactive PSCer here... but hey, the point still stands. Just because I couldn't paint the Sistene Chapel myself, doesn't mean I can't recognise it when I see it... or something like that... Laughing )

Post Wed May 02, 2007 10:21 am   Reply with quote         

splodge wrote:

Well, only if it's an image of an object from 2 different angles.

"Oooh...let's take an overhead shot of this. And ok, let's take a frontal view and submit both..."

Post Wed May 02, 2007 10:24 am   Reply with quote         

HandToolUK wrote:

Ok, so I agree too much of any one type of pic can seem repetitive, but that's part of the whole challenge. There's really only a small number of basic types of pic it's possible to start with - the art and challenge is to turn what might seem like just another building/car/plant/statue/animal/whatever picture into something original or creative or amusing or just eyecatching enough to impress your fellow PSCers! Wink

And that goes to show how much the site has changed.

Back when I first joined it was more of a VARIETY!!!

And really? There's only a small number of basic types of pics? REALLY?

Shocked

I see at LEAST 20 different and unique sources just sitting at my desk right now...and that ranges from close ups of single objects to scenes to still lifes to my monitor to my printer to my pen cup...and so forth and so on.

There's PLENTY of things for people to take photos of.

PLEN-T.

Post Wed May 02, 2007 10:39 am   Reply with quote         

I MIGHT go take pics of people.

Post Wed May 02, 2007 10:41 am   Reply with quote         

ledirlo wrote:
I MIGHT go take pics of people.

Better than a no.
Smile

HandToolUK

Post Wed May 02, 2007 10:42 am   Reply with quote         

digitalpharaoh wrote:
And really? There's only a small number of basic types of pics? REALLY?

Shocked

I see at LEAST 20 different and unique sources just sitting at my desk right now...and that ranges from close ups of single objects to scenes to still lifes to my monitor to my printer to my pen cup...and so forth and so on.

I said there are only a small number of types of pics. Taking your (presumably random) list for example - a monitor and a printer are pretty much the same 'type'. If in a month of entries, several of them were of such PC/office equipment, that could get pretty boring too.

Where I would agree with you though is that maybe the challenge is to photograph otherwise familiar items in a more original or inspiring way. For example - on a basic level, the limo pic is of the type 'just another car' - we get loads of those entered (heck, my first accepted pic was this - hardly original either I suppose!) But what helps to make it more 'unique' is the angle of the shot, the zoom level, etc.

The other possible trick - which I try to think of - is to make sure there are a variety of potential objects or elements in an image for creating an entry from.

So for example, if I'm submitting a street scene I'd try and get some brickwork, some metallic surfaces (eg: a car), some greenery, a few people, some geometric shapes, etc so that there are various textures and components that could be triggers for an idea.

On the other hand, some people prefer just a plain single image. But too much of that too can be boring.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Oh the insanity - Reply to topic