Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Of aliases, zombies, self inflicted spam, & stranger thi - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

As a paying member/customer I'd like this done about aliases

Lock all alias accounts

51%

51%

[ 32 ]

Limit alias account access to only chat

6%

6%

[ 4 ]

Block alias accounts from voting

11%

11%

[ 7 ]

Block alias accounts from voting and posting

11%

11%

[ 7 ]

Allow alias accounts-do nothing

19%

19%

[ 12 ]

Total Votes: 62

ReinMan

Post Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:38 am   Reply with quote         

I had an alias at one time: Scooter. (still shows up once in while) He was TOTALLy about stoopid chops and stoopid behavior and he was fun to pull out in the old days. One reason Scooter very rarely appears these days is I really really really don't support ALIASES for use in 1) "paying" contests 2) "serous" thread discussions.

As stated elsewhere here: you are a gutless spineless twaddle if you got to speak your gut from behind a mask. AND if you are hurting others, stealing votes, etc. from behind that mask than you (and your prime account) should be banned for at least a month. Second offense, you're off the Island.

The Powers That Be CAN see where accounts are coming from. The fact that they let this continue is sad. I was not aware, but now am not surprised, that these aliases can actually purchase multiple ADVANTAGE accounts. SHAME on the site owners here is this is what is going on!

(in the past this topic has been gone over SO many times in threads, but I'm praying that with our new Canadian owner something GUTSY and BRAVE may be done about it. As much as I love Scooter, I'd be more than happy to sacrifice him to the cause if it would get rid of some of the cheaters around here...)

ReinMan

*edit* I might even be tempted to renew my Advantage account if this were to happen - then at least I might actually feel like I did have an advantage... Razz

Mir

Post Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:00 am   Reply with quote         

marcoballistic wrote:
anfa wrote:
If you haven't got the balls to say something under your own name then don't say it! Evil or Very Mad

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn straight

I cannot agree more, how stupid, getting an alias so you can say the things you would not have the guts to say otherwise?? Or to steal some few miserable votes?? Gees I don't believe it!! Raising Brow Argh

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:05 am   Reply with quote         

I am really anfa's alias. Shocked Hmmm
Please remove me from this site. drunken Doh! Argh

marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:10 am   Reply with quote         

for once lets keep this thread serious and on topic

GIFted

Post Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:36 am   Reply with quote         

Aliases are bad, mmmk?

Heinlein

Post Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:40 am   Reply with quote         

marcoballistic wrote:
for once lets keep this thread serious and on topic

I totally agree. Keep this thread serious and on topic. Eventually, alias's are going to ruin the integrity of this site.

Post Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:06 am   Reply with quote         

Give me one solid reason and advantage for the use of aliases, because i can't find one.

So disallow them, my 0,02 cents

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:11 am   Reply with quote         

5 people think they should stay.... this isn't just one person voting 5 times is it, now how could someone do that Hmmm Rolling Eyes

Tawiskaro

Post Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:12 am   Reply with quote         

Tracking aliases might be a problem. Resetting your router and/or modem will give you a new IP address, won't it? This kind of dynamic addressing my ISP employs would make things difficult, I'm guessing--especially for non-Advantage aliases.

Can PayPal payments be traced to a particular payee? That might pose a problem tracing Advantage aliases.

Fwiw, I can't think of a good reason to permit them, but is enforcement possible?

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:18 am   Reply with quote         

The Aliases I did like are gone now. They are no more. Ceased to be. Expired and gone to meet their maker. Bereft of life. Pushing up the daisies. Their metabolic processes are now history. Kicked the bucket. Run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible.

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:23 am   Reply with quote         

Clarification 1:

Clarification 2:

Procyon
Site Admin

Post Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:37 am   Reply with quote         

The current system let's me see aliases, but it's a little complicated, as it requires me to enter queries manually. Only if a person appears to be suspicious, I can check the account out. I'm planning on adding something soon that will compare different things (not just IPs) to find a match and will display them to me. IP Tracking is already enabled, so it will use that data.
Any IP address you use to post here can be used against you. You have the right to remain silent. Laughing

Post Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:39 am   Reply with quote         

I also fully agree about the alias problems, but I feel that it doesn't matter if you're paying for Advantage or not. It's not fair to any legitimate user (ONE user name per physical person for entries, voting, and forums) for a top-chopper to get a completely fresh start (and therefore a "falsely" high VPP and PSCore--or, for that matter, a "clean slate" after (permanently) ban-able offenses).

I would maybe --maybe-- agree with being allowed to change your user name on your main account, as long as the account history remained intact and the old name(s) would be listed as "aka" or "previously known as" in the profile. Don't jump on me for that idea; I *really* don't have any suggestions for how that would work beyond letting mikey change to Mikey or Caldera change to his business name DKCDesigns.

It's frustrating enough for most (real) newbies and non-Advantaged users going up against experienced choppers, especially those who do have Advantage... but when those choppers also "look" like newbies, according to their profiles, it must seem damn near impossible to ever get a foothold on PSC, let alone to to ever hold your own in a contest.

The divisive "Advantage" issue by itself is a whole other can of worms--beyond aliases buying the membership.

dewking

Post Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:39 am   Reply with quote         

marcoballistic wrote:
5 people think they should stay.... this isn't just one person voting 5 times is it, now how could someone do that Hmmm Rolling Eyes

Sorry! One of those was mine...

I read it wrong. I thought it said "Allow Alias' to do nothing." I thought it was weird that it was the same basic option as #1... (which would be my choice).

I have 2 alias, maybe 3...but have never used them to vote for myself, or anyone for that matter. I only made them as a joke in the old days of chat. There was a short time when we were just screwing around and added some joke names like ch1cken, d3wking, ED2O9. None were ever used for anything more.

I'll gladly dump whatever alias' I may have left over from years ago.

I dont know the login for them anyway. Wink

zebob 06/09 @ 11:14 am
im more of an alethic computer geek that doesnt play sports but is still strong.

Post Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:28 pm   Reply with quote         

I'm totally for getting rid of them, and it is completely possible to block multiple accounts from a single computer. Another site I frequent has a very good security in place that will automatically detect if you are logging into multiple accounts from one location. Something like that would get rid of the vast majority of aliases, and the ones that know how to get around that would be easier to track down.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Of aliases, zombies, self inflicted spam, & stranger thi - Reply to topic