Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Do people really want feedback? - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

annajon

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:31 am   Reply with quote         

acemanoj wrote:
Well I like to read comments on my chops. I think many of them have helped me a lot on improving my work.

Know comments sometimes hurt a bit...but everyone doesn't have the same potential to handle the criticism...I think we all agree to that. On the other hand some people don't want to hurt someone...by pointing out there mistakes(here comes the identity part) If I am pointing out someones mistake in 'writing'(tone matters), I don't know what he will feel when he will read the comment. Its difficult to write something in the same way we feel in our mind.( all those punctuation stuff).

So here is a suggestion: Make a suggestion part (like votes and comments), but there would not be any identity disclose of the giver. This will solve one part of the problem I discussed above.
What do you all think???

Manoj.

But how can people reach you then, when they can't understand what you meant, and want to ask more questions? It would mean that you will have to go back to (all the) comment entries you make, to find out if somebody wants to know more from you. Why be afraid to say something, everybody knows you mean well, if you write a pm that uses more then two words.

MindGraph

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:03 am   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:
I tend to pick the things I like in the image, I use to give advice but like you buck Im no expert. But an easy way to get round this point would be a button to click on the image up load.
Opinions wanted
and a little tick or icon of some sort could but shown on the author's comments...or just type..opinions wanted on this image.

Ok 2cents over with

Move along nothing to see here Very Happy

I'm definitely into getting "constructive" feedback on my posts. I sometimes don't see something when I work on one of those "forever" chops and it's good to get pointed out to me or just get some advice on a better way to do something. I totally agree with you Buck and Blue that I don't say much because I don't want to upset someone that doesn't want feedback. In another site I used to frequent they had two buttons to click on when you uploaded your image that put a green flag or a red flag in the bottom corner under the image as to whether the person wanted feedback or not on their image. If you click the green flag expect all kinds of feedback. Sometimes people are nice and sometimes not. I found that out in the other site but either way I learned things. That being said we now have 4 cents between us blue. Let's go get some cheap... Shocked

acemanoj

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:15 am   Reply with quote         

annajon wrote:
acemanoj wrote:
Well I like to read comments on my chops. I think many of them have helped me a lot on improving my work.

Know comments sometimes hurt a bit...but everyone doesn't have the same potential to handle the criticism...I think we all agree to that. On the other hand some people don't want to hurt someone...by pointing out there mistakes(here comes the identity part) If I am pointing out someones mistake in 'writing'(tone matters), I don't know what he will feel when he will read the comment. Its difficult to write something in the same way we feel in our mind.( all those punctuation stuff).

So here is a suggestion: Make a suggestion part (like votes and comments), but there would not be any identity disclose of the giver. This will solve one part of the problem I discussed above.
What do you all think???

Manoj.

But how can people reach you then, when they can't understand what you meant, and want to ask more questions? It would mean that you will have to go back to (all the) comment entries you make, to find out if somebody wants to know more from you. Why be afraid to say something, everybody knows you mean well, if you write a pm that uses more then two words.

I am just saying to hide the avatar and name(ID of the member)...suggestion will be visible to everyone. Know if the one, have any question....he/she can start a forum topic...anyone can help them. But its the suggestion which matters. I think this will increase the feedback.

Manoj. Smile

MindGraph

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:17 am   Reply with quote         

I got feedback from someone one time that they didn't feel I should have placed where I did in a contest and told me why and I totally agreed AND learned alot. Problem was I'm always trying to keep as much source in the image as possible and sometimes that isn't the way to go. By doing so I shrunk and cloned the background and got alot of stepping in it. Plus they pointed out how the shadows didn't match up for two of the objects in the image among a few other littler things. It was done very nicely and in a pm and the reason they did it is because they mentioned that I encourage criticism. I'd take it over votes because I want to learn stuff here. We have a ton of very talented people in this site that do this for a living or whatever and the ones I've met were more than happy to share their advice to me. That to me is priceless. Theres been too many times that I've posted something that I thought came out pretty good but didn't get as many votes as I expected but I really didn't know why and it could have been the quality or maybe just the topic I picked but either way it would have been helpful to know. Wink
ok blue...we're up to 6 cents

MindGraph

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:20 am   Reply with quote         

acemanoj wrote:
annajon wrote:
acemanoj wrote:

What do you all think???

Manoj.

I am just saying to hide the avatar and name(ID of the member)...suggestion will be visible to everyone. Know if the one, have any question....he/she can start a forum topic...anyone can help them. But its the suggestion which matters. I think this will increase the feedback.

Manoj. Smile

I like the idea but I think what annajon is saying is that sometimes people don't quite word it well as to what they mean and I need to contact them personally asking them to explain in a little more detail so I can see what their seeing and if it's anonymous you don't know who to contact. Correct me if I'm wrong annajon. Just some of my personal experience. I do like the idea though acemanoj.
Dang! 8 cents! Kick my soap box out already..hahaha

bigbuck

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:28 am   Reply with quote         

Gee, some good points here. Agree totally with you MG.
I think it's more about education. I've learned a lot from reading comments on OTHER PEOPLE's chops too. So there is definitely a benefit to all not just the one who did the chop.
I think we're suffering a little bit here from that lack of experience at present. I mean, we've always had those ordinary chops at the bottom of contest pages, but of late, I'm seeing some very ordinary chops get lots and lots of votes. Are we really looking carefully at what we're voting for? I suppose I'm as guilty as the next guy of voting in a bit of a hurry on occasion. It's time to look, listen and learn I think.

blue_lurker

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:32 am   Reply with quote         

from chat just now
blue_lurker said: how about a button where you can request pms on your work, would settle a few peoples nurves about commenting and stuff

Grefix said:like that would private comment be good too? (so check a box so only the one who made the work can read

MindGraph

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:24 am   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:
from chat just now
blue_lurker said: how about a button where you can request pms on your work, would settle a few peoples nurves about commenting and stuff

Grefix said:like that would private comment be good too? (so check a box so only the one who made the work can read

Excellent suggestion by Grefix! I think ppl also don't critique someones work out of concern that their comment may sway ppl's votes. Invisible except to the eye of the chopper would be excellent. Then you can see the comment/commentor and not affect your votes.
Gref must have had extra caffeine today Wink

PheDra

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:30 am   Reply with quote         

I'm new here at the site, and a total newbie at PhotoShop.
Most of the time I don't really get any further then some cutting and pasting. And then not knowing what i could do next.

Maybe this is also because i'm not one of the most patient people around, so i give up fast.
But i wouldn't mind some feedback on my work, if it is something i could learn from. Ofcourse a 'you suck' isn't really motivating...

So far i've put 'newbie @work' under my work, but maybe you could add that you don't mind feedback. I think i'm gonna try that on my next entry, and see if it makes a change. Cool

(oh, and Yay on my first post on the forum Razz )

Micose

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:01 am   Reply with quote         

annajon wrote:

Well, I still have to thank that person for mentioning that one word (liquefy) in the comment on my entry that day.

who? Laughing Wink
Micose

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:05 am   Reply with quote         

(Bigbuck, i DIDN4T KNOW U WERE AN AVEREAG CHOPPER??! Shocked wow...the level is really high on this site! Laughing ur aint average.....ur all sources often reach the top of creativity and sharpness...i think u are the best to find THE clever idea .The best appropriated use of source....impressive...end of the parenthesis)

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:07 am   Reply with quote         

well, I definitely prefer feedback and criticism (so long as it isn't just mindless bashing with no grounds)

So long as it's valid and helpful, and not just drivel from idiots that don't have a clue what they're talking about, then yes, I totally support it. I prefer that over a blank vote any day.

I don't care whether it's PM or comment, either. It should start as a comment, then they can elaborate in a PM if they need to.

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:40 am   Reply with quote         

"You have a point there BB, and it could be taken a bit further. Sometimes I feel like hitting the 'Comment' button on some entry that has one or two votes maybe even a fat zero, just to gives some pointers. Usually it's errant colour balance, shadows and atrocious intergration. We've all been there in Newbie territory thinking to ourselves 'WTF! How Dem Clever Bastards Do Dat!!!!!!!' And it's those poor sods who we should be helping and spending a little more time with before they just give up and walk away. Sure beats us all slapping each other on the back about that 'Magic' image we're all crazy about. You're right, it IS too easy just to hit 'Vote' without comment, maybe the answer is to make it:- 'No Comment, no Vote! How about that Grefix?

Shocked "OMG! Now I'll have to start practicing what I preach... What a complicated web we weave, when we first begin open our mouths Wink Arrow Wiz

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:02 pm   Reply with quote         

a vote like this "..." speaks volumes to me.

acemanoj

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:31 pm   Reply with quote         

Quote:
I like the idea but I think what annajon is saying is that sometimes people don't quite word it well as to what they mean and I need to contact them personally asking them to explain in a little more detail so I can see what their seeing and if it's anonymous you don't know who to contact. Correct me if I'm wrong annajon. Just some of my personal experience. I do like the idea though acemanoj.
Dang! 8 cents! Kick my soap box out already..hahaha

Glad you like the idea MG...and annajon is also right...but there is a difference between comments and suggestions. As I said we can start a topic in forum and can give a link to the respected chop. Know if the suggestionss are visible, then members with PS experience can suggest the solution for the problem in the chop.

Quote:
blue_lurker wrote:
from chat just now

Excellent suggestion by Grefix! I think ppl also don't critique someones work out of concern that their comment may sway ppl's votes. Invisible except to the eye of the chopper would be excellent. Then you can see the comment/commentor and not affect your votes.
Gref must have had extra caffeine today

Know here are two possibilities:
1) As per grefix: hide the comment/suggestion or they will affect the votes. Know I think if members goes through others mistakes...they can improve their mistakes.
2) As per me: Show the comment/suggestion and hide the ID. Know this may affect the votes...but members can learn from others mistakes.

Both have its pros and cons....

Manoj.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Do people really want feedback? - Reply to topic