Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Do people really want feedback? - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Heinlein

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:38 pm   Reply with quote         

Yes, I want feedback. How else will I continue to learn?

Constructive feedback is the most valuable training tool to improve my Photoshop skills.

When I first joined this site almost two years ago, my entries IMHO sucked! I really didn't receive many comments back then on how I can improve, so I would PM the top choppers and ask them for advice. They were very eager to help me and tell me ways on how to better use Photoshop's tools, what to avoid, and what people on this site look for.

I took their advice applied it to my images, and hopefully my recent entries show improvement.

I have a long way to go before I get into the hall of fame, but thanks to the ones who took the time to provide me feedback, that time will be shorter.

Jim Very Happy

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:44 pm   Reply with quote         

Ok, let's get this straight first

the so called grefix-idea isn't my idea, just a small adjustment to an idea of Blue lurker Smile, So I shouldn't get credit for it.

personally I'm a bit against of hiding the ID (username). As this would open doors for harassing entries/users without revealing who you are ( I kinda like to think of worst case scenarios if it comes to suggesting something, not saying the people are bad here Smile )

But agreed with manoj, privatizing a comment could take a learning experience for other users

IMHO, i think the current system is still well enough anyway. We only need to encourage people to give more comments.

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:46 pm   Reply with quote         

I rarely leave a vote without a comment good, bad, or otherwise. I don't critisize, instead, I make suggestions of what I would have done differently. I think it kinda sucks to get votes with '...' next to them. Not that I don't appreciate the votes but, I'd rather have five votes with a critical comment than 15 with dots.

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:02 pm   Reply with quote         

I am all for constructive criticism, I have received many comments that I have acted upon and was pleased with the result, that is a great way to learn, sometimes I would write back saying why I made that choice and it may or may not work but the comments are always welcome, in fact I once started a whole thread because of one comment left on one of my images, and although some may have thought it was because I could not take the critic, it was totally the opposite I wanted many more comments. http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=7248&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=14b443f71a6c0fe701277f7ee0c8ab8e

In that thread I learnt a lot about how people see and interpret images, everyone has something to offer, one does not have to be an expert, if something is noticed it would help to comment so as to improve the image.
The only thing I could not stand is when someone puts in a comment just to undermine an image. That is not constructive criticism.

blue_lurker

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:04 pm   Reply with quote         

Grefix wrote:

IMHO, i think the current system is still well enough anyway. We only need to encourage people to give more comments.

You know fixit go tit right...we dont need to change this place and add little icons or flags or midget wrestlin in jello...we need to have the balls to constructively comment and to take that comment with the intent it was posted...to improve our skills, or to fix the problem.

We should change, not the site. Learn to look and see and learn from our mistakes and other's.

2cents done with
Carry on nothing to see here

acemanoj

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:44 pm   Reply with quote         

Grefix wrote:

personally I'm a bit against of hiding the ID (username). As this would open doors for harassing entries/users without revealing who you are ( I kinda like to think of worst case scenarios if it comes to suggesting something, not saying the people are bad here Smile )

Hmm...that can be a possibility. Could go out of hands. But I had given the reason, why we should hide ID in suggestions....but you are right grefix...Smile

What so ever...there should be a suggestion part to get more out of PSC site for the learners.

Manoj Smile

ReinMan

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:48 pm   Reply with quote         

bigbuck wrote:
Do people really want feedback on their chops?

Hell, NO!

Keep your damned opinions to YOURSELVES!

Twisted Evil

MindGraph

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:01 pm   Reply with quote         

Grefix wrote:
Ok, let's get this straight first

the so called grefix-idea isn't my idea, just a small adjustment to an idea of Blue lurker Smile, So I shouldn't get credit for it.

But agreed with manoj, privatizing a comment could take a learning experience for other users

if your speaking of my post you may have misread it. I'm against hiding the usernames also. I mentioned about having a spot which I think was your suggestion that would be private to only the person who posted the submit to see of comments to help your chop BUT it would have the persons username who posted the comment so you could pm them if you don't understand what they are saying. I've had a few that I looked at it from the wrong angle of what they wrote but when I pm'd them they described it better and I was able to see what they were saying. Definitely no anonymous comments for both what I just said and you with the harassing part. We gotta be realistic here...hahahaa Wink Laughing

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:02 pm   Reply with quote         

I hope people like to have feedback.

I prefer having or giving feedback in the votes/comments section just because it can be useful
not only for that chopper but for the others who can read it.
I never had any technical advices ( maybe because my chops are always so amazingly well executed Laughing ) but few times about some mistakes. I always appreciate & always make the changes for a better image.

But I'm really not giving enough often feedbacks. I'm naturally a generous person but I just don't have time & feel sorry about that. I even rarely find time for chopping... & no time for tutorials.
Mmm... mmmaybe I can do an effort and give my opinion on every ReinMan's chops... Wink
I'm rarely but mostly bringing some comments on leading chops especially on images that can be close to something perfect if they add those adjustments. I think it my best way to give my extra small contribution.

Smile

ReinMan

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:08 pm   Reply with quote         

Claf wrote:

Mmm... mmmaybe I can do an effort and give my opinion on every ReinMan's chops... Wink
Smile

hah HAH!!!!

You'll have to get me to chop something FIRST!!!!!

(YOU'LL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE!!!)

Twisted Evil

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:43 pm   Reply with quote         

ReinMan wrote:
Claf wrote:

Smile

hah HAH!!!!

You'll have to get me to chop something FIRST!!!!!

(YOU'LL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE!!!)

Twisted Evil

Hhhummmm... Rolling Eyes
I can start by adding comments on all your old chops... bom

NOGOODSK8RPUNK

Location: hum let me think, oh i know, if you look real hard i sometimes appear in your forum's text box

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:54 pm   Reply with quote         

bigbuck wrote:
On their chops?

I'm always reluctant to be critical of anyone's work...particularly in the votes/comments section. I tend to just hit the vote button.

But my question is this.....do people really want constructive feedback about their work? Do they want it on the post or by PM? How many people are upset when when someone finds fault in their work?

There are quite a few posts in recent times that I would dearly like to offer some feedback on. Little things that I think could be improved and such. Edges, shadows, mismatches in res and lighting. It seems that there is very little feedback happening of late. I remember my early days here when I would get 'chipped' by Rey or BTVS or others about little things they had noticed in a chop. Shadows, perspective, lighting etc. Shadows were always my problem!

I've had PMs from various members offering constructive criticism and advice. I've always appreciated this sort of stuff, and feel that I've improved over time as a result of it.

I'm not sure if it's just me or not, but I don't see much of this happening any more. Is it?
hell i like it. and its fine w/ me if some one does it under the comments/vote section or by pm but this is how i learn so bring it on Wink

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:17 pm   Reply with quote         

NOGOODSK8RPUNK wrote:
hell i like it. and its fine w/ me if some one does it under the comments/vote section or by pm but this is how i learn so bring it on Wink

Yea for NGSP!

the burning couch

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:55 pm   Reply with quote         

Give me the good the bad and the ugly*!*

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:20 pm   Reply with quote         

no no give me your good and your bad but you keep the ugly

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Do people really want feedback? - Reply to topic