Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - How to change black to light color without looking flat? - Reply to topic

Post Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:06 pm   Reply with quote         

I tried to change black color into a bright light yellow, but so far the result is unbearable. All I got is flat color without any depth and texture. Can anyone tell me how to achieve the goal? (with details pls)

mikey

Post Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:14 pm   Reply with quote         

You could try a layer of bright light yellow on top of the black layer? Wink Laughing

Post Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:15 pm   Reply with quote         

did that, got a horribe flat yellow screen

TofuTheGreat

Post Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:21 pm   Reply with quote         

It would probably easier for the local gurus if there was more detail and example of what you're actually doing. Unless this is for a contest? If not then I suggest posting the work-in-progress. You'll get much better feedback.

(Also if you get smart aleck responses it's just 'cuz you joined today and immediately posted a "help me" w/o an example of what you can already do. We don't know you yet.)

ReyRey

Post Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:25 pm   Reply with quote         

Can you be more specific. Maybe post the pic you want to change. You can use channel mixer. Go to the black channel and move the black channel to zero. Then go to the yellow channel and move the black channel up. It is probably not a true black, so you may have to adjust the other channels. Post the image, (or PM it to me). I'll fix it, and then I will tell you how I did it. Wink It's too hard to tell someone how to fix an image without knowing exactly what we are talking about. Wink

Post Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:42 pm   Reply with quote         

I can't post pictures yet because I am new.

GIFted

Post Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:48 pm   Reply with quote         

Hi, if you guys are in a helping mood i would love it if you could help me out, i have a picture of an ex girlfriend that needs restoring, i know you guys are the only ones who could help me out, i watch your show every week and i've seen you do it,i think the work you do is amazing, CSI rock, thank you in advance.

PS, if it helps you work you could pretend i killed her by rubbing poison in here under ware, pushed her down the stairs, hung her then beat here to death with a blunt object before i put her in a barrol of acid and drove her 8.9 miles to our favorite spot in the woods where i burried her and the barrol in a pre-dug grave, but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, i didn't,

HERE IS THE PICTURE

CSI Rock

ReyRey

Post Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:09 pm   Reply with quote         

I was able to get this effect pretty quick using the gradient map adjustment layer. Make a selection of the dress. Desaturate it. Then add a gradient map layer over it. Choose nice colors and move the sliders around. See the above image to see what colors and settings I used. The image was really beat up to begin with. Sloppy paintbrush work all over it. (sorry if that was you Confused ) Good Luck. Wink

Post Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:51 pm   Reply with quote         

Thanks so much. I am trying it by using your way. Will let you know how it goes.

TofuTheGreat

Post Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:24 pm   Reply with quote         

jenny1109 wrote:
I can't post pictures yet because I am new.

Try posting to a photo host (ImageShack, Photobucket, OhShot, etc.). Then spell out the URL with spaces between the letters like so:

w w w . d o m a i n . c o m / m y f i l e n a m e . j p g

We can go from there. Wink

ReyRey

Post Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:01 am   Reply with quote         

let us know how you did Wink

Granulated

Post Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:40 am   Reply with quote         

jenny1109 wrote:
I tried to change black color into a bright light yellow, but so far the result is unbearable. All I got is flat color without any depth and texture. Can anyone tell me how to achieve the goal? (with details pls)

easiest way is to "replace colour"

Careful use of the slider and the eyedroppers can often yield very satisfying results.

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - How to change black to light color without looking flat? - Reply to topic