Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Need help - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Mir

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:34 am   Reply with quote         

Hi, wonder if anyone could help me please. I have been given this image by my aunt who would like me to enhance it for her.
i will give a brief history of this image first to show it's historical and sentimental value to my aunt.

This was taken around 1947 just after world war 2 when the kids in Malta were returning to full time schooling. malta was still under British rule and had seen terrible action during the war. This was taken during a school play. My aunt was the dressed up figure at the back, she is representing Malta. She said that the headteacher had taken the alter cloth and dyed it red for the clock and a local smith had made the helmet, bust and lance for them. The dress was an old bridal gown donated to the school. The first Labour Prime Minister of Malta attended the play and after the performance he had commended my aunt saying " You did not even bat an eyelash throughout the whole play. A few years later my aunt emigrated to australia and has been living there ever since. She is at the moment here in Malta for a holiday after all these years. This image was given to her by the family of an old school mate. my aunt was in tears as this is the only image she has of when she was a child.

she has asked me to try to do somthing with the image so that she can be seen better. She wants to take the image back to her family in Australia.

My problem is that I have not really done much on old photos and do not really know where to start. I would be very grateful indeed for any suggestions, advise and maybe a link to some good tutorials that could help me achieve this. Thank you and I hope this was not too long to make people too bored to read. She is only here for two more weeks so I need to do something fast.

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:51 am   Reply with quote         

pm Claudio as this is his thing, he can point you the way or do it for you one. If you don't know him look him up user search. Or ask Arc as he's Arc's brother.
(claudio doesn't visit often so if you can find an external email would probably be better)

splodge

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:07 am   Reply with quote         

one for Malta,

Hallcross Toots
Mir

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:11 am   Reply with quote         

manic_d wrote:
pm Claudio as this is his thing, he can point you the way or do it for you one. If you don't know him look him up user search. Or ask Arc as he's Arc's brother.
(claudio doesn't visit often so if you can find an external email would probably be better)

Thanks Manic, but I don't really know Claudio and writing to him directly I feel I would be imposing. Could do with the help though.

Mir

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:12 am   Reply with quote         

[quote="splodge"]one for Malta,
Thanks Splodge that is looking better already.

Mir

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:44 am   Reply with quote         

here you go, lil update

bigbuck

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:34 am   Reply with quote         

Mir

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:46 am   Reply with quote         

Thank you so much ledirlo and Bigbuck for your help.They look good. Much appreciated.

MindGraph

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:44 am   Reply with quote         

Thanks for the post Mir. I don't know of any specific tutorials that you find out there for this kind of thing because theres so many ways to approach it based off what the image needs to get it restored. I will see if I can help with the image you posted because I would love your mom to have a nice picture of this but don't know if I'll be successful or not. I'll give it a shot though. Tell your mom that she'll definitely have something better than what she has now with all the talent everyone here has here. Wink

pakimo

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:45 am   Reply with quote         

Hade some time to spend so played a bit with the photo. Didn't add colors tho, just cleaned it up.

(Haven't tried posting images here in the forum before so hope this works)

Mir

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:00 am   Reply with quote         

MindGraph wrote:
Thanks for the post Mir. I don't know of any specific tutorials that you find out there for this kind of thing because theres so many ways to approach it based off what the image needs to get it restored. I will see if I can help with the image you posted because I would love your mom to have a nice picture of this but don't know if I'll be successful or not. I'll give it a shot though. Tell your mom that she'll definitely have something better than what she has now with all the talent everyone here has here. Wink

Thank you MG and you are right about the talent. What I mostly need is to have the face of the girl representing Malta to be as clear as possible to that it will be more defined. Thank you Pakimo for your contribution as well.

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:38 am   Reply with quote         

manic_d wrote:

pssst... Chopper is Arc's brother.
Claudio is Arc's second cousin twice removed..... Laughing

Nice job on the restore everyone! The look great!

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:31 am   Reply with quote         

Okay somehow arc and claudio are related... I think I got that. But he was the user I was referring to Claudiolky...... anyways.. what you guys have done looks wonderful.

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:37 am   Reply with quote         

manic_d wrote:
Okay somehow arc and claudio are related... I think I got that. But he was the user I was referring to Claudiolky...... anyways.. what you guys have done looks wonderful.

Yes, I also meant to say that you are correct Manic. Claudio has done some terrific restoration work on some old photos that have come up before. I'm not sure if he does stuff like that for a living or just for PSC, but he's quite good at it!

Cheers!

Granulated

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:42 am   Reply with quote         

Azionite wrote:
manic_d wrote:

pssst... Chopper is Arc's brother.
Claudio is Arc's second cousin twice removed..... Laughing

Nice job on the restore everyone! The look great!

Hellraiser isn't it ?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Need help - Reply to topic