Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - BLADE CLIMBING ENTRY THANKS - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

annajon

Post Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:15 pm   Reply with quote         

Thanks everybody for making the image of the Dragon Fly such fun. I would like to tell you the true sad story of that insect, so that, for some, there may be a little clarety on why the bug was sold short on the contest image.

In all fairness, except for the wings, the bug part on the photo is all there was. My children and I went to our local zoo and when we walked on the footbridge in the lily pond, we discovered a huge yellow dragonfly sitting on the wooden deck in front of us. My daughter took our camera to take a picture. To our sad surprise, we noticed that the poor creature had lost a huge part of its tail. Weather somebody carelessly stepped on him on the footbridge or he had freed himself of a bird attack we will never know. What we did know was that he was very much alive.

We placed him on the green plants, safely away from careless feet. And we took some more pictures. On the Internet we discovered that he should not even have been where he was. Because this type of huge dragonfly is a Mediterrainian creature. Probably one of the many signs that the climate is realy changing in Europe, that this dragonfly ended up all the way in the North of The Netherlands.

And, because of the beautifull colours, I thought I would chance it, sending the image in for the voting queue. Not the whole photo, that would be a little sad. No, just enough to make you all get inspired to work a little magic. To keep the dragonfly alive a little longer.

Here is the whole image we took.

yello_piggy

Post Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:24 pm   Reply with quote         

Confused I tried to rescue a dragonfly in August, when I sat it into a scale filled with water and sugar - surprise: it did not help...

TheShaman

Post Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:44 pm   Reply with quote         

Shocked thanks for sharing that story aj.
because you left off that bottom part of the picture, it actually helped me in my creation.

BTW I love dragonflies, they're my favorite insect.
plus the fact that their favorite food happens to be mosquitoes. Laughing

Site Moderator

Post Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:50 pm   Reply with quote         

I love dragonflies & have had this site bookmarked for several years...

http://stephenville.tamu.edu/~fmitchel/dragonfly/

Thanks for your story, Anna.
Some time ago, I think Caf started a thread about the stories behind source pics.

Post Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:22 pm   Reply with quote         

TheShaman wrote:
Shocked thanks for sharing that story aj.
because you left off that bottom part of the picture, it actually helped me in my creation.

BTW I love dragonflies, they're my favorite insect.
plus the fact that their favorite food happens to be mosquitoes. Laughing

Nice to know it helped, Sean. I like dragonflies because they are in such huge variaty. And in so many different colours.

annajon

Post Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:22 pm   Reply with quote         

Eve wrote:
I love dragonflies & have had this site bookmarked for several years...

http://stephenville.tamu.edu/~fmitchel/dragonfly/

Thanks for your story, Anna.
Some time ago, I think Caf started a thread about the stories behind source pics.

Great link Eve.

Post Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:34 pm   Reply with quote         

you told me that story long ago but I still think it is a sweet story. And I am glad I chopped that image. It was fun.Thanks for sharing you dragon fly and your story! Very Happy

annajon

Post Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:04 am   Reply with quote         

Cool * bump *

welan

Post Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:01 am   Reply with quote         

Great story....makes chopping much mor intresting.

Post Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:28 am   Reply with quote         

Its nice to know the story behind the source.. Very Happy

If you're not on a Mac, you're wasting your time..
mikey

Post Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:51 am   Reply with quote         

Sweet link Eve! Very Happy thank you. Cool

Post Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:01 pm   Reply with quote         

Wink

acemanoj

Post Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:09 am   Reply with quote         

annajon wrote:
Thanks everybody for making the image of the Dragon Fly such fun. I would like to tell you the true sad story of that insect, so that, for some, there may be a little clarety on why the bug was sold short on the contest image.

In all fairness, except for the wings, the bug part on the photo is all there was. My children and I went to our local zoo and when we walked on the footbridge in the lily pond, we discovered a huge yellow dragonfly sitting on the wooden deck in front of us. My daughter took our camera to take a picture. To our sad surprise, we noticed that the poor creature had lost a huge part of its tail. Weather somebody carelessly stepped on him on the footbridge or he had freed himself of a bird attack we will never know. What we did know was that he was very much alive.

We placed him on the green plants, safely away from careless feet. And we took some more pictures. On the Internet we discovered that he should not even have been where he was. Because this type of huge dragonfly is a Mediterrainian creature. Probably one of the many signs that the climate is realy changing in Europe, that this dragonfly ended up all the way in the North of The Netherlands.

And, because of the beautifull colours, I thought I would chance it, sending the image in for the voting queue. Not the whole photo, that would be a little sad. No, just enough to make you all get inspired to work a little magic. To keep the dragonfly alive a little longer.

Here is the whole image we took.

Well anna...thats a sad story. But a member (gsenthil) has made the tail come back in graphical world...atleast....Smile
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/129051/display.html

annajon

Post Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:14 am   Reply with quote         

Yes, Ace, I was very happy to see that entry.

gsenthil

Post Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:00 pm   Reply with quote         

Thanks Anna & Manoj Very Happy

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - BLADE CLIMBING ENTRY THANKS - Reply to topic