Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - CS3 and Vista - Reply to topic

podgorski

Post Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:49 pm   Reply with quote         

I reinstalled Vista today and Photoshop CS3 is soooo damn slow, i had it before and it worked normal (same PC, same vista version, same CS3).
Google says i should disable network printers and it will be ok but i dont have any printers installed...
Has anybody had the same problem and even better - know the solution?
Im becoming desperate.. Im fighting with this for around 2 hours now and the result is 1:0 for vista and cs3 Confused

hzgvbzl v ,.,.gfdh.hdl,msdfh.,spš66s,.r6,žw6šsl
vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:02 pm   Reply with quote         

podgorski wrote:
I reinstalled Vista today and Photoshop CS3 is soooo damn slow, i had it before and it worked normal (same PC, same vista version, same CS3).
Google says i should disable network printers and it will be ok but i dont have any printers installed...
Has anybody had the same problem and even better - know the solution?
Im becoming desperate.. Im fighting with this for around 2 hours now and the result is 1:0 for vista and cs3 Confused
What about installing a dummy local printer (a generic postscript or the MS XPS printer) and set it as default

podgorski

Post Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:28 pm   Reply with quote         

no, didnt help
i also found something about disabling bonjour service but it didnt help either Sad

TofuTheGreat

Post Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:33 pm   Reply with quote         

swap disk (or whatever it's called)?

Also did you previously disable any services on Vista that are turned on by default after a fresh install?

podgorski

Post Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:47 pm   Reply with quote         

No, i havent disabled any of them. After i started to look for the solution for this cs3 problem i only disabled version cue cs3 and bonjour service.
As for scratch disks, i have 17GB free on my primary scratch disk so it isnt the problem (everyting is slow even on a 640x480 document with a single layer)
And just to mention that photoshop uses only 2% of CPU and 60MB of RAM Confused

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:31 pm   Reply with quote         

podgorski wrote:
No, i havent disabled any of them. After i started to look for the solution for this cs3 problem i only disabled version cue cs3 and bonjour service.
As for scratch disks, i have 17GB free on my primary scratch disk so it isnt the problem (everyting is slow even on a 640x480 document with a single layer)
And just to mention that photoshop uses only 2% of CPU and 60MB of RAM Confused
can you disable the print spooler service altogether to see if it's printer related (as most suggestions found on the web)

podgorski

Post Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:00 pm   Reply with quote         

It didnt help Sad
I give up.... ill reinstall everything tomorrow if i dont shoot myself before couse i wasted whole day on this Wink
Anyways, thanks vokaris for trying to help so much, i owe you a beer when you come to croatia Laughing

Post Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:40 pm   Reply with quote         

note: windows vista runs slower than windows xp. Took microsoft 5 years
to develop vista.Im sticking with XP. Get a Mac laptop!!!!

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:55 pm   Reply with quote         

Some find the culprit to be the a conflict AntiVirus software, I read one post about Avast and one about TrendMicro, disabling the AV software would make CS3 work normal

Another post suggested starting Bridge and allowing it to create it's database

Also clean the MRU (most recent used files) list

And.. the best solution of them all (and I quote)
The strange thing is.... I went to sleep and left my computer on for the night, when I woke up, the lag issue was simply gone....

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:12 pm   Reply with quote         

Other posts observe this to be happening only on systems with 2GB RAM, problem to be resolved by Bridge update to 2.1.0.100 and/or increasing RAM to 4GB.

iTunes is also thrown in the ring, with version 7.3.1 causing major problems, resolved in 7.3.2

Yet another problem seems to be using a shared plugin folder (if you have CS2 installed) or pointing CS3 to read additional plugins from the CS2 folders

blue_lurker

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:19 am   Reply with quote         

ate had some trouble the other week with S2 running real slow.
I posted a hi-jack this test with these guys
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/
They had a answer for me in about 2 hours and it did solve my problem, ended up being some malware that was effecting my P, I just use CS so much only noticed it when running CS.

Hope that may help you mate. Smile

podgorski

Post Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:04 am   Reply with quote         

Thank you all for the advices.. None of them worked so i thought about reinstalling everything again, and vokaris, you said:
vokaris wrote:
And.. the best solution of them all (and I quote)
The strange thing is.... I went to sleep and left my computer on for the night, when I woke up, the lag issue was simply gone....

i saw that too in more than one place on the net and the weirdest thing is it worked for me too, except it needed two nights Laughing Laughing
so after 2 nights of sleep ps cs3 is back to normal, like nothing happened Laughing

Post Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:40 am   Reply with quote         

dunno what to tell you... I have Vista and CS3, and it is as quick as ever. Only have 2GB of RAM, so nothing special in the hardware department.

Post Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:11 pm   Reply with quote         

I hate to bash vista but it is the ME of the new century.
Stick with xp it will be like 2x faster when sp3 is released. XP is bulletproof and fast. No real need to change untill hardware advances enough to make vista's larger footprint not matter.

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - CS3 and Vista - Reply to topic