Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Mother F#@!%$#@! - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

TofuTheGreat

Post Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:49 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
TofuTheGreat wrote:
ScionShade wrote:
... BTW-- belkin and netgear wireless routers do not work with vista.
I tried the downloaded patches and installers...dont work.
I am totally tired of dealing with this. I am not putting out two hundred for linksys 'N"... I read that box closely-- it's not really 'n' at all...it's like 'g'plus.

Uhhhh.... I have a customer who bought a Vista laptop and a Vista desktop and I networked them together with a netgear wireless router. Didn't have any problem other than they were both originally configured with the same machine name by the idiot at the Geek Squad.

Confused

Oddness is afoot. That customer I mentioned called me last night. Seems her wireless network is no longer working. The laptop can get out onto the internet but can no longer print to the printer or share files with the desktop.

I'm wondering if one of Vista's hotfixes has screwed up the home networking subsystems. Now I get to go over there this afternoon to troubleshoot the problem. Mad

So it might not just be you having problems after all Joe. Laughing

Well just got back from her house. I'm really thinking that it was a Windows Update that fouled things up. Turns out that all I had to do was add a password to the accounts on the laptop and the desktop. After that everything worked. Husband wasn't thrilled that he now had to enter a password whenever he turns on his laptop but at least I can blame Microsoft.

ReyRey

Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:59 am   Reply with quote         

Paul Von Stetina wrote:
I know what it's like Rey, I've been without my PC for so long, I've gone back to reading books when I'm home... Crying or Very sad whenever I visit my mom, I get online to see what's up, I'm glad I put CS2 on her PC but it's just not the same as working at home, even worse, my tech took my PC and he won't take my calls or even call me, problem was that I had a lightning strike close to my house, stupid me had unhooked my APC because the battery died, and I paid dearly, so maybe 1 day I'll be back, Crying or Very sad

Come back soon. Wink

cafn8d

Post Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:05 am   Reply with quote         

Anyone with a Mac: I highly recommend OS 10.5 Leopard (so far)! First off, Apple seems pretty relaxed about sharing the software. Husband got one copy for Christmas, and we had no problems installing in on two machines. We had looked for other user experiences online first, and many people have done the same thing. I think Apple figures that the upgrade won't work on any machine they didn't sell in the first place.... unlike MicroSoft where all their profits come from software licensing.

Secondly, and more relevant to the sad, dead, computer thread, the new Time Machine feature of OS 10.5 is awesome! This automatically backs up your entire hard drive onto an external drive, and will periodically do so, even every hour--with (for me) no slow-down of current operations. Before you poopoo yet another automated back-up utility, the ease with which Time Machine helps you search for, retrieve, and restore data really sets it apart, in my opinion. You'd need to see it to see for yourself. It's part of the guided tour I linked to below. All computer hardware, no matter the manufacturer, are at risk of burning out and dying. I've never seen a more user-friendly way to maintain back-up data and search through it at will.

For anyone interested, you can watch Apple's guided tour on the new OS (pick which size you want to view): http://www.apple.com/macosx/guidedtour/

I really hope you get your working computer back, good as new (or even better) ASAP, ReyRey!

Martrex

Post Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:24 pm   Reply with quote         

cafn8d wrote:
Anyone with a Mac: I highly recommend OS 10.5 Leopard (so far)! First off, Apple seems pretty relaxed about sharing the software. Husband got one copy for Christmas, and we had no problems installing in on two machines. We had looked for other user experiences online first, and many people have done the same thing. I think Apple figures that the upgrade won't work on any machine they didn't sell in the first place.... unlike MicroSoft where all their profits come from software licensing.

Secondly, and more relevant to the sad, dead, computer thread, the new Time Machine feature of OS 10.5 is awesome! This automatically backs up your entire hard drive onto an external drive, and will periodically do so, even every hour--with (for me) no slow-down of current operations. Before you poopoo yet another automated back-up utility, the ease with which Time Machine helps you search for, retrieve, and restore data really sets it apart, in my opinion. You'd need to see it to see for yourself. It's part of the guided tour I linked to below. All computer hardware, no matter the manufacturer, are at risk of burning out and dying. I've never seen a more user-friendly way to maintain back-up data and search through it at will.

For anyone interested, you can watch Apple's guided tour on the new OS (pick which size you want to view): http://www.apple.com/macosx/guidedtour/

I really hope you get your working computer back, good as new (or even better) ASAP, ReyRey!

A catch to that I found out myself. Is when i upgraded to 10.5 with CS3 installed no problem. But later when reformatted and fresh install 10.5 alone it did not want to take my CS3 install.
So I messed with it and Adobe and Apple and finally just reformatted and went back and installed 10.4 and CS3 then up graded again to 10.5.

Just a quirk maybe but it may effect others and here is how to get around it. Cool Marty

cafn8d

Post Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:33 pm   Reply with quote         

Martrex wrote:
A catch to that I found out myself. Is when i upgraded to 10.5 with CS3 installed no problem. But later when reformatted and fresh install 10.5 alone it did not want to take my CS3 install.
So I messed with it and Adobe and Apple and finally just reformatted and went back and installed 10.4 and CS3 then up graded again to 10.5.

Just a quirk maybe but it may effect others and here is how to get around it. Cool Marty

Huh! Good to know! I haven't needed to reformat, so hopefully it won't come up...

Some drivers are still not Leopard compatible out of the box, but they should be available on the manufacturer's websites (like for my new USB mouse).

Sleepyeyed

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:14 am   Reply with quote         

Quote:

Just a quirk maybe but it may effect others and here is how to get around it. Marty

So I've read this entire thread and I am glad that I decided to buy a mac. I'm getting it either tomorrow or friday. It comes with 10.5 leopard pre-installed. I'll be installing CS2 onto it and then eventually upgrade to CS3 (when I can afford it or my company decides to upgrade). Has anyone else besides Martrex had any problems with software installs or other wonky type things happening with leopard? Also, kinda unrelated, the video card it comes with is 128mb rather that 256mb. Can anyone tell me if there is a significant difference between the two when using photoshop? Oh yeah, is there a mac version of Microsoft Publisher? JK on the last one Wink

ReyRey

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:03 am   Reply with quote         

Got my computer back!! Hug Hug Hug It's all better. Very Happy

cafn8d

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:28 am   Reply with quote         

cheers compress cyclops shakng2 Mr. Green Hug

Hooray HooREY for the MACTASTIC news times 2!! Congrats and good luck to both of you!

Twisted Evil Now get chopping! Twisted Evil

supak0ma

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:15 am   Reply with quote         

Sleepyeyed wrote:
Quote:

Just a quirk maybe but it may effect others and here is how to get around it. Marty

So I've read this entire thread and I am glad that I decided to buy a mac. I'm getting it either tomorrow or friday. It comes with 10.5 leopard pre-installed. I'll be installing CS2 onto it and then eventually upgrade to CS3 (when I can afford it or my company decides to upgrade). Has anyone else besides Martrex had any problems with software installs or other wonky type things happening with leopard? Also, kinda unrelated, the video card it comes with is 128mb rather that 256mb. Can anyone tell me if there is a significant difference between the two when using photoshop? Oh yeah, is there a mac version of Microsoft Publisher? JK on the last one Wink

ps uses your main RAM, 128mb is more than enough for a video card, that is if you plan not to game on it.

TofuTheGreat

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:22 am   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:
Got my computer back!! Hug Hug Hug It's all better. Very Happy

Read between the lines and you'll see this really says:

Quote:
Got my computer back!! You are all SCREWED because I can start chopping again! Twisted Evil It's all better. Very Happy

Heinlein

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:29 am   Reply with quote         

Sleepyeyed wrote:
Quote:

I have been using an Intel Core Macbook for a year now, and have found that CS2 will run, but not as fast or efficient as CS3. CS3 is designed for Macs with the Intel Processor. CS2 will run under Rosetta.

Also, there is a huge thread on Apple's forum of people complaining and having issues with Wireless connections and battery problems with Macs running Leopard. Leopard still has a few bugs in it that needs to be addressed.

Have you checked out Apple's disscussion forums?

Sleepyeyed

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:44 am   Reply with quote         

Heinlein wrote:
Sleepyeyed wrote:
Quote:

I have been using an Intel Core Macbook for a year now, and have found that CS2 will run, but not as fast or efficient as CS3. CS3 is designed for Macs with the Intel Processor. CS2 will run under Rosetta.

Also, there is a huge thread on Apple's forum of people complaining and having issues with Wireless connections and battery problems with Macs running Leopard. Leopard still has a few bugs in it that needs to be addressed.

Have you checked out Apple's disscussion forums?

Nope, I'm off to Apple's forums now. Thanks for the info. As far as gaming is concerned, I'm not really a huge gamer. I enjoy some games, but this computer will be used mostly for photoshop and graphic design work. Besides the only games I'l probably be playing are really old ones.

MindGraph

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:12 pm   Reply with quote         

Sleepyeyed wrote:

read this...
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070912095619AA19HD5

Sleepyeyed

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:15 pm   Reply with quote         

Thanks, but I was only kidding about Microsoft Publisher. I'm a graphic designer for a printing business. I find it really funny that people still use MP for design work. Our shop wont even accept those files.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Mother F#@!%$#@! - Reply to topic