Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - How much is enough???? - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

couldb5150

Post Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:19 am   Reply with quote         

Hey People,
I was just curious as to your thoughts on how fast technology is going (in our lifetime).....100 years ago man could barely fly,drive,or talk (landline) cross country......in the 60's the Apollo 13 had less RAM in it than most wristwatches or cell phones have today!!!!....Now we have facial recognition home web cams that will pan zoom and tilt and follow your every movement...cameras the size of buttons ....wireless hardware that can be installed and monitored from ANYWHERE!!.....how much is enough ?....how fast is fast enough .....do we have to wait for retina controlled mice to have enough?????And thought processes to advance web pages???

Let me say this ...I am a gadget addict!!...I love techy stuff.....I'm a firm believer if ya bought it today its antiquated tomorrow....BUT How much is enough ?....how fast is too fast ????

Or will we all be dragging our knuckles on the ground and our women by the hair in the next 50 years or so .........back to making fire with sticks and hunting for our food? Living in caves cause we have self imploded????.....How much is enough????

Just Curious to your ideas and opinions on this !

Thanks !!!

~5150

splodge

Post Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:24 am   Reply with quote         

i've had a word with the big tech god, he says there will be no further tech development untill everyone learns to use what we have got so far Smile

Hallcross Toots
annajon

Post Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:27 am   Reply with quote         

I think the technology will progress so far that we will be able to finally use our brains directly to steer things on a computer screen. That would be progress, and that would be the ultimate independance for all those people who cannot control the best part of their body anymore. I think they would be best pleased with this kind of advantage of computer technology.

However, it would have to be a one way system. Because there is a difference in telling a computer to do something with a brainwave, or receiving a pulse from a computer that will activate a brainwave, making you see or think things....

But then again, if we cross that bridge and get used to it, who knows, maybe we will all be interconnected via a little button in the cranium, that allows for telephone, interweb and directory all at the same time. And with wave pattern recognision getting better and better, (think of the pacman game that is now being controlled by thinking of it only already), that day could be sooner then we dream of now.

annajon

Post Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:29 am   Reply with quote         

splodge wrote:
i've had a word with the big tech god, he says there will be no further tech development untill everyone learns to use what we have got so far Smile

hehe, how about those people who still can't drive a car without crashing into another car??? They too are alowed to fly airoplanes... and work on computers.... where do you start the stopping of progress then?

TheShaman

Post Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:38 am   Reply with quote         

only thing I worry about is our total reliance on said technology.

I'm just waiting for that day when it all gets shut off due to some sort of solar flare or disaster, and we're all in the dark for some time. Just think about it, most, if not all things in our life are technology driven.

Hope ya'll know how to hunt & build a fire Laughing
If not, find me, we'll start a nice little community.

Post Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:40 am   Reply with quote         

TheShaman wrote:
only thing I worry about is our total reliance on said technology.

I'm just waiting for that day when it all gets shut off due to some sort of solar flare or disaster, and we're all in the dark for some time. Just think about it, most, if not all things in our life are technology driven.

Hope ya'll know how to hunt & build a fire Laughing
If not, find me, we'll start a nice little community.

I don't mind the technology at all, not one bit. Its just the reliance on ELECTRICITY the way we are making that today - that has me worried.

annajon

Post Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:46 am   Reply with quote         

There is something we can learn however from the people in Cuba.

When the Sovjet government pulled back from Cuba, and not supported that country anymore with food, the way it had done half a century long, the people of Havanna started to grow their own food on all the vacant lots in the city. And they got real good at it too. High yeelding little patches of land, that grow all the food the people in that city need, and there are millions of people living there.

This re-revolution to old agriculture ways also had another effect. It made people go back to the rural areas, all the old farmers what lost their jobs in the past are back growing food, and they do so with the best possible technique. Manual labour, and natural resourses. No chemicals on the grounds to furtile the land, but putting the leftovers of the crops right back where they came from etc.

I had often wondered in the past how we would fair, if our economies would collapse in the "west" but after seeing this documentary about Cuba 2008, I think there is hope for us - no matter what the future throws at us.

dewdew

Post Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:26 am   Reply with quote         

If it keeps going the way it is....I have two words for ya......SKY-NET...... Shocked Laughing ...now i'm off....to insure the survival of JOHN CONNER

annajon

Post Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:29 am   Reply with quote         

dewdew wrote:
If it keeps going the way it is....I have two words for ya......SKY-NET...... Shocked Laughing ...now i'm off....to insure the survival of JOHN CONNER

*sigh* again with the doom machines..... Has anybody ever thought that those machines can only go as far at the electricity they are fed? So all you need to do is pull their plugs and they are history.....

splodge

Post Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:52 am   Reply with quote         

i hear they are working on solar powered killer robots now, sort of green but not so good for the environment, especially if you are in the local environment

Hallcross Toots
annajon

Post Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:36 pm   Reply with quote         

splodge wrote:
i hear they are working on solar powered killer robots now, sort of green but not so good for the environment, especially if you are in the local environment

good comeback splodge

Tarmac

Post Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:15 pm   Reply with quote         

If we want to project what our future might hold, look to the past for how they saw their future. What ever we imagine our future to be, will be, both right and wrong, spot on, and way off.

... a 1922 view of the future. Wink

Maliciously Delicious

Post Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:17 pm   Reply with quote         

Sorry for picking this out but this bugs me if people don't know. A "LAN" line, like your home telephone, stands for Local Area Network. No such thing as Landline Razz

- Alexander Graham Bell
blue_lurker

Post Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:24 pm   Reply with quote         

Maliciously Delicious wrote:
Sorry for picking this out but this bugs me if people don't know. A "LAN" line, like your home telephone, stands for Local Area Network. No such thing as Landline Razz

Um MAte I worked for Australia Telecom and we had Landlines, cause ya see we don't have switch boards or repeat stations on our island, phone services are national and there are no local networks...we re big brother when it comes to phones, but hey its just a word Smile

Maliciously Delicious

Post Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:28 pm   Reply with quote         

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landline

your correct blue excuse me, my mistake, LAN or local area network is related to networking cpu's and routers. Smile

- Alexander Graham Bell

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - How much is enough???? - Reply to topic