Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - CS3 contrast issue - Reply to topic

Marlies

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:58 am   Reply with quote         

A few weeks ago I installed photoshop CS3, and it all worked fine, until now.

There is something wrong with all the 'adjustments' in the 'image' menu. For example, I want to change the contrast of an image. I allways have the 'preview' box checked. I move the contrast slide until I am statisfied with the way the image looks. Then I press 'OK'. And right before my eyes the contrast gets less then the level to which I adjusted it. It happens with all the adjustments options. There is still a little change compared to the original image, but by far not as much change as I made. Does anyone have any idea what could cause this problem? (Yesterday the problem wasn't there yet...)

The filters work fine, by the way, it's just the adjustments.

dumbat

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:03 am   Reply with quote         

layer opacity?

Marlies

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:26 am   Reply with quote         

Thanks for your reply. Layer opacity is 100% though.

After I tried some more I found out that it only happens with jpg images that have a large filesize and that were initially created in PS6. Nevertheless, I can't find a way to fix it. Saving the file again with a different name doesn't help.

I placed a example of what I mean online, but I can't place a link...

dumbat

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:39 am   Reply with quote         

if it's that specific an error, sounds like you found a bug. you should notify adobe Cool

i assume you tried saving in cs3 but still has a problem. how about saving with maximize compatability?

i doubt that'll help but like i say, it sounds like a bug to me

maybe you should just do a screen dump of the jpeg (assuming it displays using windows picture viewer) and paste it into a new cs3 file?

blue_lurker

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:42 am   Reply with quote         

check your settings in the preference windows may be?

Marlies

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:46 am   Reply with quote         

Hi Dumbat,

I allready tried saving it with maximum compatibility. Doesn't work... But it's a good idea to notify adobe.

A screendump won't work I'm affraid. I need the image as a texture for a 3D model and it has a resolution of 3500 x 4500 pixels. If it would be much smaller the result on the 3D model will be compromised. But I think I can still work with it using lots and lots of filters...

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. Very Happy

dumbat

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:53 am   Reply with quote         

you need to get yourself a 3500 x 4500 res monitor Laughing

alternatively, try loading and saving it with different paint apps

maybe save it as a bitmap?

could be something changed in jpegs since ps6, i dunno

Marlies

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:37 pm   Reply with quote         

Blue lurker,

I checked all the preferences, they're all standerd, exept for the ammount of history levels. I tried giving photoshop a higher memory usage, but that doesn't work either. Also my 3D software is suffering from it, because it needs every spare MB to render the files.

Dumbat,

saving it as bmp or tiff doesn't solve the problem either.

Good thing it only happens to the files I created years ago in PS6. The only files I still use from back then are scans from textured papers I bought at a hobby shop. (which I use to create old looking/rusty/eroded textures) But I still have the original papers, so I think I will just scan them again Confused .

Thanks again for the tips!

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:42 pm   Reply with quote         

How about adjustment layers? Make your contrast changes with an adjustment layer instead of the Image-Adjust dialog, then flatten.

back on your issue - does it have the same behavior if you work with a selection only?

Martrex

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:53 pm   Reply with quote         

An optional way to try it is to do it in create new fill or adjustment layer? At bottom of layer screen dark and lite circle. Will make changes as overlay without affecting actual original image?

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:58 pm   Reply with quote         

Martrex wrote:
An optional way to try it is to do it in create new fill or adjustment layer? At bottom of layer screen dark and lite circle. Will make changes as overlay without affecting actual original image?
Smart thinking!!! Now where did I read something just like this? Hmmmmmmmm.... ooooh - it's right above your post. Very Happy

Martrex

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:00 pm   Reply with quote         

vokaris wrote:
Martrex wrote:
Smart thinking!!! Now where did I read something just like this? Hmmmmmmmm.... ooooh - it's right above your post. Very Happy

Well excuse me something was lost in the translation I suppose! Laughing

dewdew

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:09 pm   Reply with quote         

Are you sure it's in RGB.....8 bit mode???... Confused ..You said it had just started doing that. Have you tried a different image....i know what you want is on the image you are trying to adjust.....but i did not know if every jpeg was this way.

BLUE may know as well....The preferences/ diplay..or general tab...lets you select if Windows or Adobe handles your visually displayed colors.....Go with ADOBE...since it would prolly be what PS6 is using.

Bow DUMBAT......we going to have to see about getting you a raise in pay. Smile You have shared alot of knowledge since you have been here...and i have much respect for that...... Shocked what???.....can't a guy be serious for a minute.....i'll go back to NUTTYLAND now.....calm down.

Marlies....keep checking back....Grephix, Vok, and Splodge may actually see this and help......So far....between the 3...i have not seen one PS related problem get by them....Smart is an understatement when it comes to them and Graphics....But it's Sunday....and hangover's from Sat. NIght could ruin that till tommorrow..... Rolling Eyes .....DRUNKS Laughing Laughing Laughing .....Splodge may not drink anymore.....but he don't drink any less either Cool

FORGET all that shit i wrote above this.(all but Dumbat's).......VOK showed up....NEXT!!!.....we have becky on the line from Michigan.....she wants to know What a layer is...... Laughing

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - CS3 contrast issue - Reply to topic