Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Ship sailing through water? - Reply to topic

Pearcinator

Post Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:54 am   Reply with quote         

Hello, im in Year 12 and for my Multimedia project im going to be creating a 'website' based around desktop backgrounds/computer wallpapers made using photoshop CS3. I have already made 2 of my wallpapers (aiming to do around 10). I am kinda new to photoshop and i want to ask some questions on how to do some things i want.

For the wallpaper im doing atm i want to have a ship sailing through calm (or choppy) water. I want to get the ship to look like its moving through the water, so i want to water to be kind of rippling from the bough.

You dont have to fully tell me a tutorial of how to do it. Just mention ways i could do it (or do it yourself and show me if you have time).

I would appreciate any help you can give me, and also any ideas for my next wallpaper too!

dumbat

Post Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:15 am   Reply with quote         

in this chop i did a subtle bow wave. i cheated by just creating a layer with long thin black and white triangles with their apexes (apices?) at the bow of the boat. i then blurred this layer and blended it onto the water layer with a fairly low opacity

if you want to do proper ripples i suggest you check out aliased's tute (http://photoshopcontest.com/tutorials/26/displacement-water.html and figure out how to apply the channels and displacement method to your needs

bigbuck

Post Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:23 am   Reply with quote         

dewdew

Post Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:26 pm   Reply with quote         

PM...Marty.....he is a gif freak.....and i remember him doing a pretty good one of a ship moving in the water.

but each step or frame in the gif needs to be liquified slightly different than the others.....that way, when played... they look like moving waves..... Confused

TofuTheGreat

Post Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:38 pm   Reply with quote         

Somewhere around the PSC archives there's a Ripple chop done by ReyRey and he shared the PSD. Another member, Krank, did a "Heavy Penny" chop that had ripples and splash. He also shared his PSD file. If I'm understanding your question correctly then the techniques in these two chops are similar and should be a help to you. Very Happy

I'll see if I can find them. Cool brb

TofuTheGreat

Post Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:50 pm   Reply with quote         

Rey's "Under the Layers" chop. I Found the forum thread where he created a tut for the effect. I have the PSD on my drive still in case the link in the post isn't active anymore. Cool

Krank's "Heavy" chop. Here's the PSD for the chop.

While searching I saw/remembered other chops that have this type of effect. Screwloose did a water chop as well as several others.

Pearcinator

Post Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:34 pm   Reply with quote         

Wow! Thanks everybody for your help. These forums are great for asking for help.

TofuTheGreat

Post Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:41 pm   Reply with quote         

Be sure and show us what you made! Cool

Pearcinator

Post Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:22 am   Reply with quote         

Gross! I cant post the image until ive posted in 5 legitimate posts. Ill post my image in a sec, if i can.

Pearcinator

Post Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:26 am   Reply with quote         

Ive decided that im not going to be doing bow ripples...Its not that its hard its just that i have no pictures of ships with sails down (this is for a project and i cannot use pictures that would be copywrited, google images is out of the question). I dont even think its necessary anyway.

Heres what i have so far... (BIG UPDATED IMAGE- still unfinished...need help)

Shot with U-CA 3 Digital Camera at 2008-03-04

I would appreciate any ideas and suggestion to what i should do. I am having some big problems with whitewash. I need to put some whitewash at the base of the cliffs, i also need help with getting rid of the vehicles/roads on the clifftop. Please help!

Pictues are taken from my parents digital camera
cliffs/Sky: Ireland
lighthouse: Western Australia

TofuTheGreat

Post Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:28 am   Reply with quote         

Pearcinator wrote:
Ive decided that im not going to be doing bow ripples...Its not that its hard its just that i have no pictures of ships with sails down (this is for a project and i cannot use pictures that would be copywrited, google images is out of the question). I dont even think its necessary anyway.

In case you change your mind check out the links for source images at this post. Image*After has a bunch of ship photos. Cool

(btw, that thread is the one linked in my sig)

Pearcinator

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:11 am   Reply with quote         

I need help with my wallpaper, but ive decided i might start on the next one soon. I would appreciate any suggestions for pictures you would like to see as a wallpaper yourself, if it sounds good (and i got photos i could use) i might just do it!

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Ship sailing through water? - Reply to topic