Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Help, I'm new - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Lovely

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:58 am   Reply with quote         

I'm new!!!!! So, I've done 2 entry's with only using MS paint. I have moved onto GIMP, but now have no idea what to do...?!? I would like to use a circular pic and adapt it to a round object (much smaller). Any suggestions? Sk8r has photoshop tips but not for GIMP (which is my only step up from paint). He got me addicted to this site 3 months ago and I have finally joined. Now, I want to learn tips and tricks... HELP!!!! Please.... lots of sugar on top and maybe a few cherries..... Please Very Happy Bow

NOGOODSK8RPUNK

Location: hum let me think, oh i know, if you look real hard i sometimes appear in your forum's text box

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:05 am   Reply with quote         

she works for beer lol j'k don't beat me Laughing

Lovely

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:13 am   Reply with quote         

Lovely wrote:
I'm new!!!!! So, I've done 2 entry's with only using MS paint. I have moved onto GIMP, but now have no idea what to do...?!? I would like to use a circular pic and adapt it to a round object (much smaller). Any suggestions? Sk8r has photoshop tips but not for GIMP (which is my only step up from paint). He got me addicted to this site 3 months ago and I have finally joined. Now, I want to learn tips and tricks... HELP!!!! Please.... lots of sugar on top and maybe a few cherries..... Please Very Happy Bow

any gimp tutorials....? and only GOOD beer... Thank you very much! Laughing

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:16 am   Reply with quote         

Welcome Lovely!

Although GIMP is not as popular as PS but it is powerful too. I am not use to GIMP but you can try to search some good online tutorials, for example: the GIMPShop.

Hope these give you some inspiration Wink

NOGOODSK8RPUNK

Location: hum let me think, oh i know, if you look real hard i sometimes appear in your forum's text box

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:37 am   Reply with quote         

it sounds to me more like she wants to have a warp tool option (in ps) and wrap an object around another objet but doing it so in gimp. i have no experience using gimp other than the basic functions but i did tell her to look it up as it was free and better than ms paint. but hell i can't find a tut on it as i'm not sure where to look.

TofuTheGreat

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:28 am   Reply with quote         

There is a function in GIMP to wrap a pic to a sphere. I used it on my Space Junk chop. Don't know if that's the type of effect she's looking for. And unfortunately I've forgotten much of what I knew of GIMP and I don't have it installed anymore. Confused

I'll check my bookmarks for any GIMP specific tuts but I think I already deleted them. Sad

Edit: I did delete them. BUT I do still have one link that you might find useful.

http://gimpology.com/

marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:20 am   Reply with quote         

download photoshop 7 for free from several *ahem* legal P2P servers, and feel the power of the chop Very Happy

bneises

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:38 am   Reply with quote         

Yah I started with gimp, then to corel, and was always thinking that PS was too advanced. But once you get the hang of it... Its the only way to go.

splodge

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:51 am   Reply with quote         

get a free (with some hardware) or cheap version of photoshop elliments, that's how i started, i got elliments 2 with my printer and the rest is history, finaly worked my way up to PSCS2, that will do me for a long time now

Hallcross Toots
Tawiskaro

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:17 am   Reply with quote         

I bought Paint Shop Pro X online four or five months ago for $29.00. I love it.

Designed2522

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:21 am   Reply with quote         

splodge wrote:
get a free (with some hardware) or cheap version of photoshop elliments, that's how i started, i got elliments 2 with my printer and the rest is history, finaly worked my way up to PSCS2, that will do me for a long time now

I agree with slodge, although I have never used GIMP, I too started with some free photo program that came with my computer... then I ended up going to BestBuy one day and asking a couple of questions in regards to photo munipulation and they pointed me to Photoshop Elements... and now I am working with both CS3 at my office and CS2 at home.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND GETTING ELEMENTS TO START YOU OUT INTO THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF PHOTOSHOP!!!! ITS THE ONLY WAY TO CHOP PROPERLY! Angel

Elements should only cost you about $40 to $50.

Oscar

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:22 am   Reply with quote         

Welcome

kinetic_be

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:27 am   Reply with quote         

I suggest that you keep working in MS Paint Razz
Well, that is if you can do things like this:

http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=9270

Smile

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:50 am   Reply with quote         

If you happen to be a student high school or college you can get a discount on software thru a site called
www.journey.com

You have to be an active student and able to produce some form of student ID that you scanned. But they offer Adobe software that includes Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, and Flash all seperate on different platforms OR in a big fat bundle. I got the bundle for less than what I would have paid for Photoshop CS2 by itself.

Lovely

Post Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:23 am   Reply with quote         

I appreciate the suggestions. Hectic week...need to pack...then move to matt's. Once settled i hope to get hooked up with PS. . ... until then maybe a little paint ....GIMP has me really confuzzed!

Not sure i can live up to :

kinetic_be
Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:27 am

I suggest that you keep working in MS Paint
Well, that is if you can do things like this:

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Help, I'm new - Reply to topic