Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - UCAS portfolio - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

yello_piggy

Post Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:40 pm   Reply with quote         

yo armo, go for it!

armogeden

Post Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:10 pm   Reply with quote         

a quick update - I applied to Chelsea Uni of the Arts in London for an art foundation course (which is compulsory for their actual graphic communication course). Had the interview about 3 weeks ago now (silent, you just come and put down your work and bugger off for a few hours while they moderate it)

and I heard back today

and I didn't get in

damn Sad

Fairly angry after all of the preparation that went into the portfolio and such, but such is life. I guess I'm not really sure what to do now, seems I could either apply to a worse foundation course, do some work experience in the industry, go to a graphics course that doesn't need a foundation year, who knows I'll figure something out. Trouble is now I'm not exactly the most confident about my work, ah well.

So how are you guys? Smile

Post Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:34 pm   Reply with quote         

Poppycock.
Complete rubbish, I say.

Hmph.

The nerve of those twits.

Poor, poor Marco...I feel SO...huh?

AR-mo?

hmph.Neutral

Wink

splodge

Post Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:38 pm   Reply with quote         

leeds, hull and brighton uni's all have excelent graphix courses, my son did 3 years at hull and walked strait into a London job as a background artist for one of the big movie studios on Wardour Street

Hallcross Toots
cherylm329

Post Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:45 pm   Reply with quote         

armogeden wrote:
a quick update - I applied to Chelsea Uni of the Arts in London for an art foundation course (which is compulsory for their actual graphic communication course). Had the interview about 3 weeks ago now (silent, you just come and put down your work and bugger off for a few hours while they moderate it)

and I heard back today

and I didn't get in

damn Sad

Fairly angry after all of the preparation that went into the portfolio and such, but such is life. I guess I'm not really sure what to do now, seems I could either apply to a worse foundation course, do some work experience in the industry, go to a graphics course that doesn't need a foundation year, who knows I'll figure something out. Trouble is now I'm not exactly the most confident about my work, ah well.

So how are you guys? Smile

Don't let one blind dumbass make you feel less about your work. You win some you loose some, but what's important is that you love your work and what you do. I have people that love my work and others that want to change everything about it or say it's not good enough. You can't make everyone happy. I think you do excellent work and you are very original in your ideas. Keep it up!

Edit: to answer your question too, which I forgot to do, haha.

I am currently a Sophomore at the Art Institute and I have been told by numerous professors that I need to have a little bit of everything in my portfolio. Since Graphic Design does not only mean manipulated images (since I am not sure what your presenting them with), you might want to try and put together some advertisements. i.e. flyer's, postcards, brochure layouts, logos, etc. Give them a variety, not just one type of design. Hope that helps Smile

dewdew

Post Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:06 pm   Reply with quote         

AUG 12 2007- FEB 26 2008.....quick update???? Shocked hmmm...quick ain't what it use to be. Smile Cool just playing with ya....ARMO

Don't let that letter knock the wind out of your sail....you'll achieve your goal....you already have a portfolio.....Now just work on improving your skills and re-apply...maybe they could suggest a course or two that could be taken, in order to have a better chance....Show them you are willing to work on your skills and knowledge in order to get you there. What ever you do....don't let this stop you...GET up,..... brush off........and grab them reins.....SHOW THAT HORSE..WHO'S RIDING WHO. shit sooner or later...the horse will saddle itself.

marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:21 pm   Reply with quote         

gutted Armo, good to see you by the way.

Never fear though, one institutions opinion does not mean you are not worthy my friend, they in my opinion from your work and strength in learning and hightening your skills have missed out on a quailty student through their gates.

There are fantastic courses at Huddesfield, Leeds and Hull as Splodge says, Stockport, Liverpool, Manchester and Birmingham. As well as Coventry, Bristol and all around London.

Don't give up bud, and just because the small minded Chelsea have shunned you, does not mean all other institutions are of lesser quailty. It depends what is good for you and what you want.

Keep ya chin up bro, you have skills no doubt about that Very Happy

TofuTheGreat

Post Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:30 pm   Reply with quote         

Apply to one of the other schools and try to get into some work experience while you're at it. The experience will always pay off (even if it's an unpaid internship).

armogeden

Post Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:56 pm   Reply with quote         

I have to say guys, thanks very much for all your feedback, you've cheered me up Smile . You know it's strange, I could have spoken to family, friends, even art teachers, but at the end of the day it's much easier talking to you guys and you give me much better advice Smile . So, given that I'm not applying to UCAS this year (hang on let me explain the system for those of you that don't know. UCAS are a body that students use to apply to universities in the UK; foundation courses bypass UCAS and you have to apply directly to the course itself.) Because you have to apply at a later time than normal UCAS entries, I've already missed the deadline for this year, but I can apply next year, effectively meaning I'm on a gap year next (school) year and I can either do work experience, a foundation year, go traveling, etc.

I was wondering whether it was worth using next year for a work experience placement in the industry, and then apply to a good course, but one not needing a foundation year, or should i carry on doing the foundation year? Are there decent graphic design (and all variations) courses available that don't need a foundation year or would they be sub-standard? thx Very Happy

marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:50 pm   Reply with quote         

A foundation year is a fantastic direction to take to perfect and direct your style, and to try and find a path to take come uni time. Also you can build a more impressive and varied portfolio in this time, learn new skills and flip the bird at Chelsea by the end of it, screaming 'Look at what you turned away you prawn sandwich eating toffs' Very Happy

Post Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:58 pm   Reply with quote         

Shocked

armogeden

Post Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:33 pm   Reply with quote         

QUICK UPDATE!

I just had an interview with Bucks New University for an art foundation year, and they gave me a place on the spot Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

2nd best in the UK for graphics so they say, debatable Razz

Cheers for the help AS ALWAYS
Armo

annajon

Post Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:52 pm   Reply with quote         

congratulations Very Happy

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:22 pm   Reply with quote         

armogeden wrote:
QUICK UPDATE!

I just had an interview with Bucks New University for an art foundation year, and they gave me a place on the spot Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

2nd best in the UK for graphics so they say, debatable Razz

Cheers for the help AS ALWAYS
Armo
Congrats Armo! Maybe you could use PSC for homework? Laughing

ScionShade

Post Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:46 pm   Reply with quote         

Excellent news. Congratulations Armo. Very Happy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - UCAS portfolio - Reply to topic