Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Photoshop what is it? - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:31 pm   Reply with quote         

I would consider Micose "artsy" and he does pretty well ANYTIME he posts an entry around here.

Artsy is not snubbed here at all, but something that is thrown together and called "artsy" won't cut it with this group. We know the real thing when we see it.

Cool

ScionShade

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:43 pm   Reply with quote         

Azionite wrote:
I would consider Micose "artsy" and he does pretty well ANYTIME he posts an entry around here.

Artsy is not snubbed here at all, but something that is thrown together and called "artsy" won't cut it with this group. We know the real thing when we see it.

Cool

I have to disagree, and I don't mean to be argumentative but Micose always seems to do fairly well, BUT when
he does exceptional, the response is no better than his average. Sad

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:06 pm   Reply with quote         

muahahahaha! ha!
and he did a whole lot better when he used to vote regularly.

I'm not the only one who noticed that, eh?

bigbuck

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:46 pm   Reply with quote         

NOGOODSK8RPUNK wrote:
zorda did someone say something to you personally to have you start this thread... or are you wondering for your own curiosity?
Nah, it was nothing personal. I think Zorda might be responding to my post on the closed thread here.
http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=10272&start=165

Quote:
Arty stuff is great, and I have seen some wonderful work here that contradicts those realities. But I guess true mastery of PHOTOshop is the ability to combine images into a cohesive and PHOTOrealistic scene. And of course, PHOTOrealism requires attention to lighting/shading/colour matching/perspective/reflections etc. Mastery of these basics won't hurt an artist's ability to develop their own artistic style. Remember, even guys like Picasso had the ability to represent stuff realistically.

dewdew

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:17 am   Reply with quote         

The word Art is used wrong everyday, Artsy is just a way of saying it's neat and artistically done. In other words it was not slapped together on the fly.

If one gets more votes than the other.....then sombody better let Stk-a-lik-a-laka-firga-francking......ahhhhh hell, the new guy kicking everyones ASS in the daily.

Rabbit Revenge is HOW TO USE PHOTOSHOP or better yet HOW TO CHOP.
1. It's a BLEND of both real and surreal.
2. You can find the source. Out of the box is one thing...out of the park..is another.
3. See rule 1.

Then again he could be just one hell of a rabbit trainer.
First just getting the rabbit to stand still while the car is coming would be a bitch, then those stubby little paws make it real hard to get a good grip on that RAMBO KNIFE. PLUS, he would have to train one to be a O'possom....you don't even want to go into how hard that is. Rolling Eyes

Artsy won't get you a stigma, Starting threads like this will. Laughing
Now you Artsy-Fartsy play nice. I'll call the rabbit trainer.

zorda

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:01 am   Reply with quote         

yes buck it was partially in response to your post but more so the the entire post and how it came about or how i think it came about.

I agree with you, in that realism won't hurt anyone's ability and that we can all learn from it but you are also saying that a person must conform totally with realism in order to master photoshop?

I say that people who strictly do photorealism will not attain mastery of photoshop until they also can produce pics which are concieved using functions that are not or at least very seldomly used by photorealists . I'm not referring to quick fiters and cut and paste.

Maybe your idea of what mastery is and mine are different. My idea is that mastery means expert skill or knowledge of something in its entirety. In order for someone to be an expert at photoshop he would have to be an expert with all functions not just those need to create a realistic picture.

blue_lurker

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:38 am   Reply with quote         

What is photoshop?
Its a tool, nothing more.
I use it for photo realistic work, vectors, paint effect, animation, photo repair, graphic production like logos and banners, web pages, colour correction and some times abstract type stuff.

Its just a tool to be used as you want, we get caught up to much in the vote and the win and the comment here. (Man don't I know that one all to well)

Photo shop is what you want it to be, I don't beleive anyone could be called a true master of Photo shop because every day some one some where is using it in such a different way.

Just think what Davinci or Michelangelo could have done with photo shop even better Vincent van Gogh, (one of my fav artists) see they had there own Photo shop, they called em a brush and a palette. I wonder if they argued over the integrity of there work.

My 2 cents

yello_piggy

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:06 am   Reply with quote         

zorda wrote:
but what about the people who use the many other aspects of photoshop for different reasons

guess, you mean "filters"?

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:26 am   Reply with quote         

I agree with Zen.

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:51 am   Reply with quote         

rockyjob wrote:
People notice if the image you created was supposed to be unrealistic on purpose, so dont stress.

People of the more intelligent type, yes. All the others, no. I've made tons of chops were people complain about certain things in the image that make it unrealistic, when I never said or implied that I was trying to achieve a photo-realistic image. Don't overestimate the general intelligence of the population.

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:15 am   Reply with quote         

[quote="yello_piggy"][quote="zorda"]but what about the people who use the many other aspects of photoshop for different reasons[/quote]

guess, you mean "filters"?[/quote]

[b]
I'm not referring to quick fiters. [/b] I'm pretty sure I said that.

dewdew

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:19 am   Reply with quote         

Can you Master Photoshop? NO
You can become proficient in using it, but mastering it is another story. You may cut and object out of the BG using the pen tool, i may use a mask, and then Blue may use the Extract filter. We all achieved cutting the object out from the BG, but in different ways. Because of that alone, Mastering it would be impossible.
CS2 has Image Ready....some here love to make Gifs.....yet when they get CS3...they can't find the Image Ready part. So if they Mastered CS2..What's the problem? By the time you get the hang of CS3...they will be stocking the shelves with CS4. It's a never ending saga,because technology is never ending.

As far as the realistic stuff goes, it's not so much the fact that it looks real, or looks like a Painting. It's more along the lines of: If you look directly at a light, Your face will be lighter than the back of your head.
A car racing down the road will have motion blur, where the one at the carshow sitting still will not.
You have a picture of Pam Anderson in a bikini at the beach on a sunny day. You have a picture of you standing in the front yard on a cloudy overcast day. To combine the two, so you and Pammy look like you were actually together. You will have to change the lighting, shadows and what not to match each other. The closer you get to a match, the more REALISTIC it will look.

Quote:
Don't overestimate the general intelligence of the population.

Confused Don't UnderEstimate it either Cool

yello_piggy

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:26 am   Reply with quote         

to repeat one of you, posting this in a forum: this thread wants me to kick a puppy!

dewdew

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:15 am   Reply with quote         

yello_piggy wrote:
to repeat one of you, posting this in a forum: this thread wants me to kick a puppy!

PETA called.....they said either stop endorsing the kicking of puppys, or they are going to start ruffing up a few pigs. Shocked ....i would not take that if i were you.

Should i relay a return Message?? Smile

I say we HI-JACK IT....
Hold on.....who are those guys in the Black Car.......Damn, i knew better than say HI-jack....RUN...it's big brother. Laughing

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:06 am   Reply with quote         

We're avoiding the REAL question here

Quote:
Photoshop what is it

Photoshop has become the leading digital image editing application for the Internet, print, and other new media disciplines. It is embraced by millions of graphic artists, print designers, visual communicators, and regular people like you.

Traditionally, Photoshop has been and continues to be a print industry standard. It's likely that nearly every picture you've seen (such as posters, book covers, magazine pictures, and brochures) has either been created or edited by Photoshop. The powerful tools used to enhance and edit these pictures are also capable for use in the digital world including the infinite possibilities of the Internet.

In the past few versions, Photoshop has been accompanied with ImageReady. This sub-program is specifically made to deal with web applications including slicing Web images, producing rollovers, supporting enhanced image maps, and compressing graphics files efficiently for the Web.

It is almost impossible to use or even learn all of Photoshop's tools to their maximum benefit. Photoshop has been around since 1982! That's around 20 years of troubleshooting and advancing software. Simply, that's 20 years of learning ALL of Photoshop's wonderful characteristics. Again, it's almost impossible to learn everything, but this workshop will go over the main features and most everything else that you need to learn the countless other attributes on your own.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Photoshop what is it? - Reply to topic