Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - image quality - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:35 pm   Reply with quote         

I'm fairly new to photoshop. I'm self taught (probably most of the problem!) Unfortunately, I have to work with photoshop elements 3. I work hard to create detail, shadow etc. and I'm almost always disappointed how my images look after it is uploaded to the sight. Before I tried advantage, I saved my images "for the web" at the highest setting. I try to use high res. images when I can find them. I need help on how to select images, size them, and save them. So many images submitted by contestants look so detailed, crisp, bright and professional ( they probably are professionals)! I figured that the images downloaded as source from the sight have a resolution of 72 that I could work with that resolution. I always edit using " view actual Pix". I would appreciate any help I can get. Thank you!

splodge

Post Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:21 pm   Reply with quote         

you're doing good, i started with ellements and progressed to CS4 Masters,. now i'm a moderator Shocked that'll teach me Laughing

Hallcross Toots
bigbuck

Post Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:02 pm   Reply with quote         

I see you have advantage, so you should be getting high quality sources. You can now also upload entries that are up to 1280 x 960 and 512Kb. I'm still seeing 800 x 600, 100kb-ish entries from you though. So you have a lot of leeway left in terms of entry size. Work big where possible, and use big high-res externals. Optimise under 512Kb before posting.
Cheers,
Brad.

Post Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:46 pm   Reply with quote         

bigbuck wrote:
I see you have advantage, so you should be getting high quality sources. You can now also upload entries that are up to 1280 x 960 and 512Kb. I'm still seeing 800 x 600, 100kb-ish entries from you though. So you have a lot of leeway left in terms of entry size. Work big where possible, and use big high-res externals. Optimise under 512Kb before posting.
Cheers,
Brad.

Thanks, I just got advantage last night. I'll keep trying.

Post Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:50 pm   Reply with quote         

splodge wrote:
you're doing good, i started with ellements and progressed to CS4 Masters,. now i'm a moderator Shocked that'll teach me Laughing

Thanks, any encouragement helps.

couldb5150

Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:53 am   Reply with quote         

Not really well versed on Elements ....but so as BB says....he knows his shiate......if ya had a newer version of PS i have all kinds of suggestions for ya!!!!!!

Remember we are all here to have fun and learn (well at least I am).......it will all come in time!!!!!........

Fellow choppers does elements have the ol' "Save for Web" option?????

~5150

splodge

Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:21 am   Reply with quote         

i was looking for a web host for a new client and came across this one, great price, great size, (dont know about speed) and some great free software including PS elliments, ideal for smaller laptops,
http://www.strato-hosting.co.uk/webhosting/index.html

Hallcross Toots
rockyjob

Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:33 am   Reply with quote         

hokums wrote:
I'm fairly new to photoshop. I'm self taught (probably most of the problem!)

NOT at all!!! Being self taught is a good thing, shows you can easily handle something artistic without any help! After all I'm self-taught! Mr. Green

rockyjob

Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:39 am   Reply with quote         

Have you considered buying a Wacom tablet? ( If you don't already have one) They are really useful and usually come with Photoshop Elements, and you can get them for an affordable price.

Martrex

Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:33 pm   Reply with quote         

Try playing with levels under image adjust to give more color and life to some images. Also the larger orig. helps to start with better res and of course more time.

Enjoy
Marty Very Happy

Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:36 pm   Reply with quote         

rockyjob wrote:
Have you considered buying a Wacom tablet? ( If you don't already have one) They are really useful and usually come with Photoshop Elements, and you can get them for an affordable price.

I do not have a tablet. I keep eyeing them. Thanks for the help

hellsg8

Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:36 pm   Reply with quote         

splodge knows right

Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:43 pm   Reply with quote         

Martrex wrote:
Try playing with levels under image adjust to give more color and life to some images. Also the larger orig. helps to start with better res and of course more time.

Enjoy
Marty Very Happy

Your work is certainly one of the ones that I look at and wonder how you maintain such detail and quality. What resolution would you aim for with externals ?

Martrex

Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:46 pm   Reply with quote         

hokums wrote:
Martrex wrote:

Enjoy
Marty Very Happy

Your work is certainly one of the ones that I look at and wonder how you maintain such detail and quality. What resolution would you aim for with externals ?

I always use the biggest orig I can find, usually found under google image my first search area. Shocked

ReinMan

Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:16 pm   Reply with quote         

Setting your search like this will help you find better resolution bits n' pieces on Google...

Most other Image Search Engines have similar choices too! reindeer

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - image quality - Reply to topic