Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - H2H 2009 - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

DaVinci

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:35 am   Reply with quote         

Pearcinator wrote:
If it happens like last year then it will be the least likely thing that has ever happened.

*last year flashback*

Me and my mate Jorzza were up against both the finalists from H2H 2008 (Vunt and Hellraiser) in the FIRST ROUND! Being the only personal friend who enjoys PSC the odds of that happening were incredibly small i would assume.

Stupid Hellraiser and his 'minister of silly walks' from Monty Python! Curse him for thinking of something so unbelievably amazing as that...i hope we (especially me) dont get another crappy source image for the 1st round (the wasp sucked people...i dont care what u think...it sucked!)

*return to the modern day*

Yeah....that was fun lets do it again! Im in and so is Jorzza...this is gonna be awesome!

STFUAC

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:48 am   Reply with quote         

Eve wrote:
yes...and if you're lucky, you won't be up against last year's winner in Round 2.
Raising Brow

Wow, thts lucky, I was up against the winner in round ONE. haha. Crying or Very sad Laughing
Pearcinator was in it with me too, his opponent came 2nd. lol.

cafn8d

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:47 am   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
dbbowling wrote:
According to splodge as of March 22nd...

We have 146 people registered for H2H 2009.

Another 50 aliase.... I mean entrants and we'd be at 196 and able to run with first-round byes for the top seeds. Very Happy

Okay, I understand why in regular playoffs the number of teams / players has to be to the power of two so that EVERY round is divisible by 2 and we wind up with 2 finalists to face-off... but do we need a specific number to give first round byes to top seeds? I thought it was just whatever the difference was between 128 and how many signed up = number of byes could be given out...? scratch

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:03 am   Reply with quote         

Why give the "top seeds" a bye?
Seems kind of pointless.
Let em all compete on an even playing field.
Last man standing wins.

TofuTheGreat

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:09 am   Reply with quote         

cafn8d wrote:
TofuTheGreat wrote:
dbbowling wrote:

Another 50 aliase.... I mean entrants and we'd be at 196 and able to run with first-round byes for the top seeds. Very Happy

Okay, I understand why in regular playoffs the number of teams / players has to be to the power of two so that EVERY round is divisible by 2 and we wind up with 2 finalists to face-off... but do we need a specific number to give first round byes to top seeds? I thought it was just whatever the difference was between 128 and how many signed up = number of byes could be given out...? scratch

It's a personal preference of mine to have as few first round byes as possible.

You could probably have an odd number of byes but that would weight a bracket differently. Depends on what supa/tutor have in the code.

I'm not the math guru. However I believe that the number of entrants needs to be a power of two or evenly divisible by four. Since we're at 146 (and hopefully higher) that would be 36.5 byes. Doesn't work. Now 148 would allow for 37 byes. If I'm correct (and vokaris, supa, tutor, grefix, btvs, etc. feel free to correct me on this) then allowable entrant numbers for even bracketing and byes would be:
148, 152, 156, 160, 164, 168, 172, 176, 180, 184, 188, 192, 196, 200, 204, 208, 212, 216, 220, 224, 228, 232, 236, 240, 244, 248, 252, 256, etc....

cafn8d

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:10 am   Reply with quote         

digitalpharaoh wrote:
Why give the "top seeds" a bye?
Seems kind of pointless.
Let em all compete on an even playing field.
Last man standing wins.

It's mainly done so more people can play rather than tell whoever registered after #128 "sorry, you can't play." That's all. Otherwise, I certainly agree with you...

Except that it's still hardly a "level" playing field since tournaments always have the highest-ranked against the lowest-ranked for the first round... Thankfully, it's anonymous, and there have been many upsets and surprises in years past... Well, maybe that is a "level" playing field after all! Smile

cafn8d

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:12 am   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
cafn8d wrote:
TofuTheGreat wrote:
dbbowling wrote:

You could probably have an odd number of byes but that would weight a bracket differently. Depends on what supa/tutor have in the code.

I'm not the math guru. However I believe that the number of entrants needs to be a power of two and evenly divisible by four. Since we're at 146 (and hopefully higher) that would be 36.5 byes. Doesn't work. Now 148 would allow for 37 byes. If I'm correct (and vokaris, supa, tutor, grefix, btvs, etc. feel free to correct me on this) then allowable entrant numbers for even bracketing and byes would be:

Hmmm... This requires more coffee... Huh..

supak0ma

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:23 pm   Reply with quote         

cafn8d wrote:
TofuTheGreat wrote:
cafn8d wrote:
TofuTheGreat wrote:
dbbowling wrote:

I'm not the math guru. However I believe that the number of entrants needs to be a power of two and evenly divisible by four. Since we're at 146 (and hopefully higher) that would be 36.5 byes. Doesn't work. Now 148 would allow for 37 byes. If I'm correct (and vokaris, supa, tutor, grefix, btvs, etc. feel free to correct me on this) then allowable entrant numbers for even bracketing and byes would be:

Hmmm... This requires more coffee... Huh..

the power of 2....2-4-8-16-32-64-128-256-512 etc

with 146 participants there would be 55 byes (256-146=110/2=55)

way too many

i beg you proc set the round dates those broken brackets are making me crazy

annajon

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:30 pm   Reply with quote         

Why not have the first round one on one, without all the bracket stuff. If you start with 146, that would mean 73 go to round two.

Then there would only be 9 people who need to go to the next round without competing, if the number 64 still counts. Or am I missing something?

supak0ma

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:43 pm   Reply with quote         

it works the way i've explained...sorry annajon

mikey

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:45 pm   Reply with quote         

Is this getting started soon?

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:53 pm   Reply with quote         

i have no idea Rolling Eyes

cafn8d

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:53 pm   Reply with quote         

I thought byes were the "extra" ones over and above the last workable number ( 146 - 128 = 18 ) My mistake. The other way of figuring (the correct way) would be too many. Confused

marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:57 pm   Reply with quote         

there is gonna be quite a few unhappy campers again this year unfortunately Confused

photolicious

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:25 pm   Reply with quote         

So what's the word, the lowdown, the skinny?!?! When does this sucker start?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - H2H 2009 - Reply to topic