Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Ever had carpal tunnel? - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

zoom

Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:55 pm   Reply with quote         

I have had carpal tunnel in both of my wrists. I had terrible pain that would wake me up in the middle of the night leaving me in tears. I had the nerve testing done where they shock your forearms and also the intense testing to be sure that's what it was.I wore wrist supports for about a month.While the supports seemed to help to keep my wrists supported nothing would make the pain go away.

I ended up having the surgery on both wrists at the same time. What a mistake that was! While my husband was away driving a truck,how was I to even feed myself and going to the bathroom proved even a harder task.. Laughing

Hoping the wrist support helps you and maybe you won't need the surgery,adjust your seating position like the others have said and that may also help you.Best of luck.

gravyboat

Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:23 pm   Reply with quote         

Years ago I had a diagnosis of CTS, both wrists, (my Dad said I'd just gotten into a bad beer or something, dork), anyway, with the braces on, quitting smoking cigarettes and cutting back on caffiene really took care of it. It worked so well that after about 6 years I started smoking again. Embarassed (Still down to about 1 pot of coffee.) Apparently, the bad thing is that left unchecked it can lead to something called Reynaud's Phenomena, which isn't good at all. google it. Glad to be able to cheer you up Tofu. Prolly just wanker's cramp. Razz Laughing

The Closer you get to Canada the more things there are that wanna eat your horse.
cafn8d

Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:33 pm   Reply with quote         

gravyboat wrote:
...cutting back on caffiene really took care of it. (Still down to about 1 pot of coffee.)

Wait... WHY cut back on the caffeine?? Although... I am trying to keep myself from going back to pre-pregnancy caffeine consumption! Embarassed
gravyboat wrote:
Apparently, the bad thing is that left unchecked it can lead to something called Reynaud's Phenomena, which isn't good at all. google it. Glad to be able to cheer you up Tofu. Prolly just wanker's cramp. Razz Laughing

Wait (again)... I thought ReyRey's Phenomenon involved a heckuva lot of bad luck and an errant squirrel. Shocked

(Reynaud's Phenomenon)

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:38 pm   Reply with quote         

cafn8d wrote:
Wait (again)... I thought ReyRey's Phenomenon involved a heckuva lot of bad luck and an errant squirrel. Shocked

(Reynaud's Phenomenon)

That's "Rey Michaud's syndrome". Laughing

Either way I don't want either! Shocked

Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:43 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
cafn8d wrote:

(Reynaud's Phenomenon)

So THAT'S what it is...I always wondered why certain fingers of mine would all of a sudden turn numb and white.

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:22 pm   Reply with quote         

digitalpharaoh wrote:
TofuTheGreat wrote:
cafn8d wrote:

(Reynaud's Phenomenon)

So THAT'S what it is...I always wondered why certain fingers of mine would all of a sudden turn numb and white.

That's cuz' you eat yer vanilla ice cream without a spoon ya doof! Laughing

gravyboat

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:09 am   Reply with quote         

That's cuz' you eat yer vanilla ice cream without a spoon ya doof! Laughing Laughing

The Closer you get to Canada the more things there are that wanna eat your horse.
Cartoon Contractor

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:23 am   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:

Nope only my thumb went numb. Doc says theres a nerve branch that goes off to the thumb and that's the one he thinks I'm impinging on. The brace seems to help as my thumb isn't numb anymore. Very Happy

Tofu, Carpal tunnel doesn't affect the thumb, just the fingers (and usually just the first 3 fingers and not the little finger). I had it in my right hand last year. My index finger and middle finger were the worst. So I don't know what it is that you have but it doesn't sound like carpal tunnel syndrome. Anyway, my Dr. gave me a shot of cartazone (spelling is probably wrong) in my wrist and it took a couple of weeks but it went away! Sounds like Caf might be right. Sounds like a nerve problem. Check it out on www.webmd.com/ . I got a lot of information there.

TofuTheGreat

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:05 am   Reply with quote         

Cartoon Contractor wrote:
TofuTheGreat wrote:

Nope only my thumb went numb. Doc says theres a nerve branch that goes off to the thumb and that's the one he thinks I'm impinging on. The brace seems to help as my thumb isn't numb anymore. Very Happy

Tofu, Carpal tunnel doesn't affect the thumb, just the fingers (and usually just the first 3 fingers and not the little finger). I had it in my right hand last year. My index finger and middle finger were the worst. So I don't know what it is that you have but it doesn't sound like carpal tunnel syndrome. Anyway, my Dr. gave me a shot of cartazone (spelling is probably wrong) in my wrist and it took a couple of weeks but it went away! Sounds like Caf might be right. Sounds like a nerve problem. Check it out on www.webmd.com/ . I got a lot of information there.

Thanks for the info CC! I had to have corticosteroid injections in my neck a few years ago to relieve inflammation on a nerve. That was a fun experience.

All this is good info. I wasn't too sure about his diagnosis and that's why I wanted to know from others who've had CT. While it may be a placebo effect the brace does seem to be helping. Guess I'll give it the two weeks and see where I'm at after that. Will also have to read up on my ergonomics setups at home and work I guess.

cafn8d

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:15 am   Reply with quote         

Even if it's not CT, the brace may well be helping. It changes how you lean on or twist or bend your wrist, which may be part of what caused your symptoms whether it's CT or a pinched nerve or a circulatory issue. The question will be after you remove the brace, whether you slide back into the same unconscious habits that caused the symptoms and if the symptoms do return, and how quickly that happens.

janetdog

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:20 am   Reply with quote         

Mr. Obvious knows that internet carpal tunnel is caused by 'one handed typing'. hehe

I've been getting the 'claw' for years now. Usually from holding a gun all day. (paint gun) My father retired early as he could no longer hold on to his motorcycle because of carpal tunnel. I wonder if genetics aren't a factor? I know dehydration is part of the problem. That of course comes down to diet. Beer, Caffeine, and lack of salt all contribute to dehydration.

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:14 am   Reply with quote         

janetdog wrote:
Mr. Obvious knows that internet carpal tunnel is caused by 'one handed typing'. hehe

I've been getting the 'claw' for years now. Usually from holding a gun all day. (paint gun) My father retired early as he could no longer hold on to his motorcycle because of carpal tunnel. I wonder if genetics aren't a factor? I know dehydration is part of the problem. That of course comes down to diet. Beer, Caffeine, and lack of salt all contribute to dehydration.

Surely you're not suggesting that I give up me sodas!? Shocked Wink

glennhanna

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:39 am   Reply with quote         

spam bump

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Ever had carpal tunnel? - Reply to topic