Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Any Other Old Designers Out There? - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:18 pm   Reply with quote         

no mention of velox, waxer or a camera the size of a small room?
Very Happy

Post Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:29 pm   Reply with quote         

Or, sending type out to the type house and getting it back the next day. Then having to repeat for revisions. Laughing

Tarmac

Post Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:56 am   Reply with quote         

What an incredible sentimental journey you just gave me. I swear I still have 50 to 60% of what was shown, stuffed away in the garage somewhere. THANK YOU for posting that one Al!! Very Happy

YerPalAl

Post Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:38 am   Reply with quote         

My pleasure folks. Very Happy

I find it rather sad that type, as an art form, hit an absolute peak in the 80s to early 90s with the Mergenthaler equipment and then, with the advent of desktop publishing programs an entire industry, (typesetting) was supplanted and faded away. Yeah, I know, I'm sounding like a buggy whip manufacturer, but it is a fact. I remember when pages of type would be re-set because the rag was too ragged or there were too many hyphens in a row making a ladder or a page had a widow or an orphan all of which, in a good type house, was cause for manual intervention and a galley to be rejected by the proofreader.

And WE LIKED IT THAT WAY!! Laughing

Now get the hell off my lawn you kids!! Laughing Laughing

gravyboat

Post Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:01 am   Reply with quote         

I still use more than half of that stuff to this day! Rolling Eyes

Laughing @ Eve. The college where I work just moved our old AGFA out of the obsolete darkroom. Even after they had taken it apart it still wouldn't fit through the door. About 10 rolls of that old PMT material too.

The Closer you get to Canada the more things there are that wanna eat your horse.
pearlie

Post Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:07 pm   Reply with quote         

Wow, THAT's really a walk down memory lane! I remember using a lot of those items, still have some.

I've got a bulging 9x12 envelope full of french curves, triangles, various plastic templates - with the tape, of course - that I did pen illustrations with. I did probably a few dozen bow illustrations with those rapidographs and ink for Bear Archery, ship floorplans for several manufacturers in the boating industry, including Cigarette and Wellcraft. Didn't need glasses then, tho. Confused

Does anyone remember what a 'Lucy' was? Well, I had one for years - finally found a new home for it and donated it to the local middle school art dept.

Does anyone remember what a Scitex computer was? Before photoshop on your very own little computer, they did these 'magical' things, but it took an entire BANK of huge computers in a room by themselves.......

And somewhere, because believe me, I would never throw this out - I've got a
Captain Baseline mask, a souvenir from a trade show.

Laughing eh, dinosaurs.........

Post Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:01 pm   Reply with quote         

Anybody remember using that old 'Grant' Projector cabinet?

Maybe known by another name elsewheres, but it was a hooded camera obscura for tracing projected images (either larger or smaller). Two winding handles moved the lens and the platen plate up and down for focusing!

Then began the hard slog of doing all those different Production traces for all those shitty Newspaper and Magazines that the Media Dept threw at you.

I hated doing those SOB's, especially where it was impossible to crop without the art looking terribly squished to fit the publication shape...
That usually had me going for the idiot who booked the ad size to meet Ad $pend.

Twits! A bad looking ad is next to useless, may as well not run the bugger at all! Laughing

Appreciate someone furnishing a photo of a old Grant machine if they have one.
I have tried Googling, but without luck... They've just vanished out of sight somehow!

Let me know eh!

Wiz

anfa

Post Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:26 am   Reply with quote         

HAHAHA! Cool as fuuuuuuuu!!!! Wow, it makes me want to know where some of my stuff went!!!!!! Very Happy

pearlie

Post Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:00 am   Reply with quote         

Hey, Wiz, didn't know it had that name, but that Grant machine was the first kind of "Lucy" - or lucographer - that I used. Yeah, for tracing different sizes. Confused My first job in advertising was doing yellow page ads - with different size MARKERS!!! Yes, hand-lettered layouts for the client....

Then after that, still before computers, we traced individual letters off of Letraset pages to make a damn headline....... then we had to size that to fit!

Yeah, the kids these days have it so easy! Rolling Eyes

Post Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:45 am   Reply with quote         

So . . . . .

Anyone remember this? Can you still decipher it?

Tarmac

Post Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:33 pm   Reply with quote         

Wait, I be right back. salut ... (scrambles to try and find a copy of Pocket Pal)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Any Other Old Designers Out There? - Reply to topic