Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Willing to critique site? - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

janetdog

Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:05 am   Reply with quote         

The website looks like a series of after thoughts. Here's what I would do...

First page should be a big log cabin with a big entrance. The front door should open(flash) and let you in to the magical world of GOLDEN EAGLE LOG SHACKS

Once inside, Make a 360 sweep of bitchin shack interior. Use mouse overs to describe design features along the way. Then, stop on a wall loaded with flash type links. Make them big and general. Five or six max.

Start new. Do not under any circumstances attempt to reuse any of it as that would just be another after thought.

Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:32 am   Reply with quote         

Afterthoughts...

Do you advertise on late night tv or in conjunction with hunting/fishing shows?

Golden Eagle sounds like cheap bourbon.

You guys ever consider changing the company name? Honestly, I think of eagles and I think of pesticides, extinction, and talons ripping through flesh. I'm buying a house. I want it to last.

Monumental Homes
Integrity Log Systems
Straight-Log Estates

Another thing that might keep you current would be to reinforce 'green' qualities. Renewable resources grown on reclaimed land , carbon foot print, insulation, blah blah blah

Maybe show a few powerbills from happy customers.

Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:45 am   Reply with quote         

Just googled a bit for "log home" and "log homes". Wondering that at "log homes" you're placed at place #2 and under "log home" at side #XYZ (will be different by googeling with an American access) Maybe SEO should be a point at the relaunch.

Searched for a side that's more adequate for first contact customers and found this: wisconsinloghomes.com

Still not perfect in my eyes but it comes near to what I would expect.

I like the "FOCUS ON DESIGN E-NEWSLETTER" which delivers monthly information to actual projects. As the decision to buy and where to buy a log home will be a longer time process it can be the reason why. The Format SUCKS (not really printable, like wise recommended by ScionShade) and it don't even displays right in my preview (most older persons won't have installed acrobat reader) But the idea behind could work.

maybe others have better sides to get a target... but that's what i found in a short while.

Cheers BL

Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:52 am   Reply with quote         

janetdog wrote:
You guys ever consider changing the company name?
Laughing boyhood Rolling Eyes

Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:10 am   Reply with quote         

You guys ROCK! Fantastic feedback (even janetdog's Laughing)!

Interesting notes from Bug on SEO and how other country's see us in search terms. Here in the states, on Google at least, we're #1 for "log homes" and #2 for "log home" (#1 has the URL loghome.com so we'll probably never beat them). Note this does change if you've got a personalized Google account. Results get way skewed then depending on your own search history with the big G.

The name change won't happen. Sorry JD. Wink There's a history with the name and here in the northwoods eagles are popular and appear everywhere.

I totally agree with the color issues brought up. Fun tidbit? There's 6 color blind people associated with this company. Two of them are completely color blind and only see shades of gray apparently. The background colors for the site are, to me, all washed out and muddy looking. I was told they were specifically picked to be non-threatening to old visitors. Raising Brow
ScionShade wrote:
buckie74 wrote:

Code Compliance should be on the front page.
Very Happy

I looked allover for it, and couldn't find it. I didn't mention it cause
I felt I'd harassed TofuButt too much already.
I agree w/ code should be one of the main links.

Don't hold back Joe! One of the things I look to you for is your blunt honest opinion. As I said, I didn't have anything to do with the design of the site so criticism won't phase me. Similarly praise won't either as it's not praise for me. Laughing

annajon

Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:52 am   Reply with quote         

Colours wrong - makes it look cheap.

Homes are so lovely, they should be on a photo in the middle of a white page, looking glam. And then you should have a few tabs either above or below, that lead you to more information.

You can have a welcome word on the first page, but you could also give your company history on a second page etc.

White page, great photo, simple links (one word says all - kind)

And the all important, welcome to NAME OF COMPANY, that would be good.

You can uses what is the frontpage in cut up parts on the second pages behind the links.

Wiz

Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:16 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
Had a meeting with the company presidents today. They're starting to warm to the idea of giving our website a face-lift.

I'm testing the waters to see if anyone here would be willing to give their impression of our website and what they think could be done better. I'm NOT looking for someone to create designs or suggest layouts or anything like that. One of the president's kids is going through design school and will probably be coming up with his own design. I've seen some of his stuff and he's very talented.

Simply looking for people who would be willing to go to the site and evaluate it in it's current format and function. Specifically looking at it with the knowledge that probably 90% of our customers are in their late 50's to early 60's. Our demographic isn't the hip/modern crowd.

We've got questions like
- What do you like about the site?
- What don't you like about the site?
- What were you looking to find? Could you find it easily?
- Were you looking for anything that you couldn't find?

(Note I didn't come up with the design so you won't hurt my feelings in the least).

"Initial look at the website gives me a the impression of 'Superb CLUTTER'! and very old fashioned website designing".

That First Page is all important, and should be used as a invite to 'ENTER' it!... KISS Principal here (Keep It Simple Stupid)!
Just the logo, some nice Glamour shots with soft edges dissolving into each other... and the all-important Radio Buttons to navigate with.

Remember to treat the site as PS layers which the viewer can move around in, the same way as they would look around a House, room by room, level by level.

Use a scroll bar for image captures with + Mag clicking to enlarge chosen imagery, you know the sort I mean.

Check out Best Web Site Awards for '08-'09 and choose one or more of the slicker sites that could work in your case... taking a bit of one, and mixing it with another if need be. (It's the Formats you are looking for, not content!)

The last bit of advise above is probably the best, so try it first

Wiz

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Willing to critique site? - Reply to topic