Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

 


Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - My website: Ultraviolet Designs! Please Look!!! - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

MonkeeDrummer

Location: Somewhere between Logic and La-La Land

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:10 am   Reply with quote         


Hello there my long lost friends of PSC. I haven't been able to chop for quite a while due to school and what not, and it's very sad. I miss all of you and the amazing work that gets done here. I'm trying to open up my time so I can get back on here soon.

The real reason for this post is to ask a favor of anyone who reads this thread. I have a website up for my "company" Ultraviolet Designs. I want to get as many people to check it out on their different sized screens and different browsers as possible and get some feedback, critique, critisism, whatever is fitting. I appreciate any views and feedback!
The website is: http://www.ultraviolet-designs.com

-Thanks in advance PSC family!!! Very Happy




SCWIDVICIOUS

Location: pfft..

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:12 am   Reply with quote         


personally I would break the colors up more. the logo is a different color than the buttons and main text, but just enough to be annoying, and the text is hard to read, boxy looking. especially with the white lettering on a black background. many people will complain about that, and i know that from experience.

i am all about making a site look unique, but you also need to keep it so its not hard on some peoples eyes. the black background with violet color is ok, but it is not grabbing my attention as it should especially for the type of site your building. it needs to boom.. also google isnt going to like it very much the way it is.


i would make it busier, but busy in the right places..


hope i dont make you mad, but being a web business owner for over 2 years.. i know to some extent where im coming from.




_________________
..
Oscar

Location: Northern California

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:15 am   Reply with quote         


Hideous




MonkeeDrummer

Location: Somewhere between Logic and La-La Land

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:37 am   Reply with quote         


SV: Thanks, constructive critisism is exactly what I'm looking for! I'm glad to find someone who is actually in the business! Now are you saying the violet in the logo is different from the violet throughout the site? Because it shouldn't be, the violet is exactly "80,25,135" everywhere.
And I do agree that it needs to be busier, I'm just not sure what to add. And the font throughout the site is impact, I hate it, it's boring, and I want to change it, but then there's the problem with the cool fonts not displaying right on certain computers. What do you suggest? And the color of the words is a really light grey, should I just darken it?
Oh, and I don't know much about SEO...

-Thanks, Mikey




ReinMan

Location: Kingston, ONTARIO, CAN

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:41 am   Reply with quote         


Oscar wrote:
Hideous


Laughing
Tell us what you REALLY think, Oscar.




_________________

_________________________________
THIS SITE REALLY DOESN'T EXIST
the way our EGO THINKS IT MIGHT!
_________________________________
SCWIDVICIOUS

Location: pfft..

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:57 am   Reply with quote         


MonkeeDrummer wrote:
SV: Thanks, constructive critisism is exactly what I'm looking for! I'm glad to find someone who is actually in the business! Now are you saying the violet in the logo is different from the violet throughout the site? Because it shouldn't be, the violet is exactly "80,25,135" everywhere.
And I do agree that it needs to be busier, I'm just not sure what to add. And the font throughout the site is impact, I hate it, it's boring, and I want to change it, but then there's the problem with the cool fonts not displaying right on certain computers. What do you suggest? And the color of the words is a really light grey, should I just darken it?
Oh, and I don't know much about SEO...

-Thanks, Mikey


seo is tricky sometimes.. but you just gotta know how to talk to make google like you.. on my site.. i can change 2 words and within 2 min google is on me.

the logo is brighter than the rest. when i used colorpic to look at the logo versus the text, it shows the following colors..
logo: (websnap) 8918101 Hex: 551488
all else: (websnap) 8852565 Hex: 551487
C Logo: 38% writing 37%
M Logo 85% writing 85%
Y logo 0% writing 0%
B logo 47% Writing 47%

that one digit shows to me like a sore thumb, and my monitor is calibrated

I will pm my url to ya..




_________________
..

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:02 am   Reply with quote         


SCWIDVICIOUS wrote:
personally I would break the colors up more. the logo is a different color than the buttons and main text, but just enough to be annoying, and the text is hard to read, boxy looking. especially with the white lettering on a black background. many people will complain about that, and i know that from experience.

i am all about making a site look unique, but you also need to keep it so its not hard on some peoples eyes. the black background with violet color is ok, but it is not grabbing my attention as it should especially for the type of site your building. it needs to boom.. also google isnt going to like it very much the way it is.


i would make it busier, but busy in the right places..


hope i dont make you mad, but being a web business owner for over 2 years.. i know to some extent where im coming from.


I would agree with this, but I don't want to specify what you should do to make it better. I like to learn from example, so here is a link to a bunch of websites that pull off a black design quite well.

http://abduzeedo.com/web-design-black-layouts-part-2

Good luck!




SCWIDVICIOUS

Location: pfft..

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:10 am   Reply with quote         


i learned from mine for sure..

i was just giving a quick overview of my personal thoughts regarding it. we all start somewhere.. im here to learn, so if there is a time when i can help return the favor, i do.

great link rharrington




_________________
..
glennhanna

Location: Eugene, Oregon

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:20 am   Reply with quote         


Graphic design is a very competitive business. The above website needs a lot of work. The industry of web design is demands a cutting edge look, top of the line coding, and something that draws a customer in. The above website has a long loooooooong way to go.

I say forget the feedback on what colors to use, fonts, screen size, browser usage and start over. Right now this looks like something cooked up in Microsoft Power Point. If I'm looking for somebody to build me a website, I want to see that their own website is spectacular. The above website screams inexperience, the number one deterrent to new customers.

It may be harsh to hear, but I've tried to design my own websites and have only created similar let-downs, so I know a little about how hard it is to put something nice together.

I've ended up using templates. But you are advertising web design, so those are out of the question.

How many years of experience have you had at this? Have you had training? -two questions I'd ask a designer.

The website also suggests a business of one person. You want to make it sound like a company that employs several designers. It needs to feel bigger.

rharrington's link offers many outstanding examples. Learn from those, all of them look good.




Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:31 am   Reply with quote         


SCWIDVICIOUS wrote:
i learned from mine for sure..

i was just giving a quick overview of my personal thoughts regarding it. we all start somewhere.. im here to learn, so if there is a time when i can help return the favor, i do.

great link rharrington


I definitely can't take full credit for that link. Someone from PSC mentioned abduzeedo on a thread about a year ago and I've been going there ever since. Its a great learning tool with a lot of inspiration on it.

I've also been spending a lot of time going to [url]smashingmagazine.com[/url].

Check out those websites Monkee!




MonkeeDrummer

Location: Somewhere between Logic and La-La Land

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:38 am   Reply with quote         


glennhanna wrote:
I say forget the feedback on what colors to use, fonts, screen size, browser usage and start over. Right now this looks like something cooked up in Microsoft Power Point. If I'm looking for somebody to build me a website, I want to see that their own website is spectacular. The above website screams inexperience, the number one deterrent to new customers.

It may be harsh to hear, but I've tried to design my own websites and have only created similar let-downs, so I know a little about how hard it is to put something nice together.

I've ended up using templates. But you are advertising web design, so those are out of the question.

How many years of experience have you had at this? Have you had training?


I know the design isn't spectacular, there's still alot of stuff I don't know how to do yet. I'm a senior in high school and I will be starting on my Web Design degree from the Art Institute next Fall. I have about 1 1/2 years of self-taught experience. I don't take your comments as harsh at all, and I completely agree with what you said about how a web designer's page should make you want them to design your page. I was going with a minimalistic design, obviously that won't cut it, so once it's graded (because it is being used as a project for my web design class), I'll probably scrap it and start over... I could make a flash site that has a bunch of bells and whistles and makes people say wow, but at the same time, that deters anyone with a slow connection and/or lack of patience from staying so I'll keep working but either way, thanks for the comments.

and I agree with SV, great link rharrington
edit: btw, I love smashingmagazine! Great source, and plus they have links to tons of other cool places.




Oscar

Location: Northern California

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:39 am   Reply with quote         


Please don't make a flash site... flash sites suck.




MonkeeDrummer

Location: Somewhere between Logic and La-La Land

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:44 am   Reply with quote         


I said I "could make a flash site," I didn't say I would. I don't like full flash sites, they take too long to load, but using flash to spice up the site is good. imo.




SCWIDVICIOUS

Location: pfft..

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:49 am   Reply with quote         


flash sites are also not the most google friendly either.

i will always click back when i see.. page loading **%

one reason are the lack of real controls.. hot keys dont usually work, i dont wanna click a made arrow. if i can backspace without losing the site, im much happier...


just hang in there. and use the web as a resource. look around, you will see some of the most insignificant things make the biggest differences.




_________________
..
MonkeeDrummer

Location: Somewhere between Logic and La-La Land

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:54 am   Reply with quote         


Trust me, I know how much flash sites suck, I had to teach a class on them. Thanks for all the comments guys, I really appreciate it! Very Happy




Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - My website: Ultraviolet Designs! Please Look!!! - Reply to topic

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Navigate PSC
Contests open  completed  winners  prizes  events  rules  rss 
Galleries votes  authentic  skillful  funny  creative  theme  winners 
Interact register  log in/out  forum  chat  user lookup  contact 
Stats monthly leaders  hall of fame  record holders 
PSC advantage  news (rss)  faq  about  links  contact  home 
Help faq  search  new users  tutorials  contact  password 

Adobe, the Adobe logo, Adobe Photoshop, Creative Suite and Illustrator are registered trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated.
Text and images copyright 2000-2006 Photoshop Contest. All rights reserved.
A venture of ExpertRating.com