Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Dodge & Burn - Reply to topic

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:19 pm   Reply with quote         

I came across this tip and thought some would find it useful. There's many techniques to use this PS feature, but I found this very helpful.

For Dodge:
Duplicate the background layer, change the blending mode to Screen, and add a Hide All layer mask.
Use the Brush Tool (I use 0% hardness setting) and gently paint on the layer mask to lighten areas.

For Burn:
Duplicate the background layer, change the blending mode to Multiply, and add a Hide All layer mask.
Brush on the areas you'd like to darken.

In both cases choose a brush size that is proportional to the area you want to burn or dodge. If your brush is too big, you’ll change areas you don’t want to touch. And if your brush is too small, you risk creating lines in your photo.

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:30 pm   Reply with quote         

Nice One Eve..thanks Wink

Im still very new to PS and i think we all need more tips and tricks like this..

thanks again

ReyRey

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:44 pm   Reply with quote         

Another way to do it is to add an "Overlay" layer filled with %50 neutral gray.

Dodge and burn this layer. This way it does not destroy the original layer.

ReyRey

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:54 pm   Reply with quote         

Eve wrote:
I came across this tip and thought some would find it useful. There's many techniques to use this PS feature, but I found this very helpful.

For Dodge:
Duplicate the background layer, change the blending mode to Screen, and add a Hide All layer mask.
Use the Brush Tool (I use 0% hardness setting) and gently paint on the layer mask to lighten areas.

For Burn:
Duplicate the background layer, change the blending mode to Multiply, and add a Hide All layer mask.
Brush on the areas you'd like to darken.

In both cases choose a brush size that is proportional to the area you want to burn or dodge. If your brush is too big, you’ll change areas you don’t want to touch. And if your brush is too small, you risk creating lines in your photo.

Instead of duplicating the background image, (This adds a lot to the size) Just create an adjustment layer. (Curves is ok) Set it to multiply or screen. This adds no size to the image. Create a hide all mask and then do like Eve said by brushing the mask away in the areas you want to effect. Wink

supak0ma

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:56 pm   Reply with quote         

yea i was gonna say, you can do this with any adjustment layer, like brightness/contrast

ReyRey

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:04 pm   Reply with quote         

supak0ma wrote:
yea i was gonna say, you can do this with any adjustment layer, like brightness/contrast

Sure you were. Razz

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:06 pm   Reply with quote         

ahh thanks rey

nevet

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:33 pm   Reply with quote         

hmm, i never thought about using blend modes on adjustment layers before, interesting...

supak0ma

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:36 pm   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:
supak0ma wrote:

Sure you were. Razz

what would you know about it anyway Laughing

Mir

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:56 pm   Reply with quote         

Another way to do it which is non distractive is to add a new layer fill with 50% grey and set layer mode to overlay or soft light, than use the brush with white or black at different opacities to add shadows and highlights. This layer could also be used to add noise to unify an image or to add lighting effects or lens flare, you can adjust the opacity to reduce the effect as needed.
FootFungas

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:54 am   Reply with quote         

The 50% gray technique is one of my favorites. One of the most valuable non-destructive editing techniques out there.

I usually switch between Overlay or Soft Light, depending on the type of shadows/highlights I want. I even use Hard Light occasionally, if I want a very hard look.

And like Mir says, it's not just for dodging/burning, its great for a bunch of different things.

Also, Soft Light is also a sick blending mode. Great for contrast.

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:52 am   Reply with quote         

thanks all for sharing! I'm excited to try it! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

TheShaman

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:58 am   Reply with quote         

FootFungas wrote:
The 50% gray technique is one of my favorites. One of the most valuable non-destructive editing techniques out there.

I usually switch between Overlay or Soft Light, depending on the type of shadows/highlights I want. I even use Hard Light occasionally, if I want a very hard look.

And like Mir says, it's not just for dodging/burning, its great for a bunch of different things.

Also, Soft Light is also a sick blending mode. Great for contrast.

Yep! this is one of the best techniques I learned @ PSC from FootFungas

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Dodge & Burn - Reply to topic