Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Welcome Center - A noble cause. - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

zed

Post Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:42 pm   Reply with quote         

bluefist!!! Where are you???
I think we need to see your signature again Wink

bluefist
Site Moderator

Post Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:52 pm   Reply with quote         

zed wrote:
bluefist!!! Where are you???
I think we need to see your signature again Wink

Cynn

Post Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:17 pm   Reply with quote         

That's all well and good, but where's your wisdom for people who think others are getting too many votes?

thbeghin

Post Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:37 pm   Reply with quote         

I like that "ladies room" thread in the thread!!! Laughing

Que fièrement vous vous tussiez...
zed

Post Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:15 pm   Reply with quote         

Cynn wrote:
That's all well and good, but where's your wisdom for people who think others are getting too many votes?

Good point. Personally, I think the same suggestion should be applied...
get up and go outside and smell the fresh air.

nancers
Former Site Moderator

Post Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:40 pm   Reply with quote         

EJH wrote:
*AHEM* Could you guys hurry it up in there? Some of us need to pee.

*locks door from inside*

USE THE MEN'S ROOM!!!!!

Post Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:46 pm   Reply with quote         

vunt van pumununt wrote:
...But, I am a beleiver of the wielder of the axe of 2nd chances...

2 possibilities here and I'll address both:

You, vunt van pumunutty are willing to give me another chance.
Well aren't I the lucky one. I will count my blessing.

You, vunt van pumunutty believe in giving second chances to the member that might have posted an image poorly done.
I agree. A member here can try and try and try again. And encouraging them again and again and again is as noble as the truth. However, encouraging them with a vote and a comment that includes "amazing", "incredible", "wow", "terrific" is not encouraging them to work harder and get better. It is only encouraging them to post the same lackluster image.

Holly9000 wrote:
you know what the funniest thing is?..i was this guy when i first got here..lol...

oh, so now you've seen the light and been saved by the PSC gods? I don't think so. You have fallen into the same trap as the rest. Uneducated voters that don't understand the difference between a stock image and a good display of photo"shoppery" is the trap.

Gort wrote:
Welcome, Sword of Alias.
Tis true you are an old member, for small things give you away. Comments such as "what people are voting for these days" show that you remember older days. And what a pity, my lord, that your wit is sharp only when your face is cloaked.

Me thinks you must attack others to compensate for wielding a small dagger.

Very Happy well spoken. I cannot deny my status as an "Alias". I have in fact, noble knight, not tried to hide this. Tis shameful you cannot see my wit uncloaked for it is the same only more damaging.

Thou hast not seen mine dagger. May you continue with thine great and glorious fortune.

YerPalAl wrote:
I might vote for an average post from a rookie that I would not vote for if it had been posted by a more experienced chopper. There is an element of incentive as well as the harsh light of graphic purity that should be considered when weighing the relative merits of any contest entry.

A crock of horse meat! Voting for a rookie only encourages laziness and a lack of concern for details. If you feel this is the only way to encourage, then at least vote with a comment that explains it is encouragement and list some details that the contestant might try on their next entry.

YerPalAl wrote:
People vote for different reasons and graphics appeal to different people for different reasons also, so if you expecct to impose your sense of values in judging here then you should change your name to Sword of Fools. A far more useful purpose could be acheived by looking at what showcase and I have embarked on, by adding comments on posts that are meant to be positive suggestions for ways to improve the chop rather than negative slights on the talent of the chopper or the intelligence and taste of the voters.

It would be useful to me to look at what you and showcase are doing? How is that going to help me? It is only a matter of time before a user like Cynn, Ronni or anyone number of other over-sensitive member has their feelings hurt and what good you might be doing is then only seen as negative.

Badcop wrote:
My only problem with Sword of Truth is why, with infinite possibilities, one would choose to fashion their persona after a 32 year old virgin renaissance faire junkie.

All of your statements ring true except this one. I'm not 32, nor am I a virgin, nor can I spell "renasance". Then again, you can't spell "fair" either. Though, I believe that a bulk of the voting problems are a lack of education for the new member. Stock Image vs Photoshopped image thing again. These members that came in hordes after the new site format are having trouble seeing the difference between good image searching skills and good image editing skills.

I also believe that badcop's vpp would be higher were he to run around praising everyone for their contributions. His chop show consistent effort AND thought.

I can hold my own in a contest and have proven it time and time again (I know, you'll just have to believe me). I am not ashamed of the votes I get. I am ashamed at the lack of truth from voters regarding images and their "amazing color and composition" when reality is that the amazing color and composition is that of another artist other than the one competing.

YerPalAl wrote:
...So do you think that SOTs method of stirring up firefights on people's posts is going to stop that?

Forgive me for thinking that most on this site were adults and that they must realize that not all will praise them for their work. The six comments or so that I have made were directly related to the image a member chose to contribute. I did not start any firefights. It was Cynn who brought Patre's post into this thread. Perhaps it is her, with her "oldbie vs newbie" issues and her over-sensitive nature that is blowing this out of propotions??

Patre has sent me a PM regarding my comment and I am pleased with his response.

I'm sick of quoting so you all are just going to have to try and keep up.

YerPAlAl, it is not my mission to improve myself. It is my mission to educate new users in what the difference between a well "found" image is and what a well chopped image is. You mention "Wars" in one of your comments. Do you really think that me not liking one image or another is starting a war? You can't be serious.

Zed, you will find that some people look at this as a hobby, not simply a way to past the time. Hobbies are something people enjoy doing and typically show passion for their chosen one. If it bothers you that we want to discuss this, perhaps you could go outside and get some of that air.

Well, that was a lot which most will not read but I will continue on my journey as I intended and respond as needed.

Live well.

patim

Post Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:50 pm   Reply with quote         

One thing for shure; If you want to state an opinion than don't hide behind an alias. Your vpp isn't as important as is your dignity.

SOT, Every now and then people gets upset cause they think it's not fair that others get more votes with (in theire opinion) lesser skill. When I look back at my portofolio, I can see the progression I've made and can laugh at the thoughts I had in the past.

You will have to learn that this isn't a commercial site, or as they often say there are no prices. You must see this as a community. I like most of the people here cause they make me feel welcome and I can learn from them. I love it when people state that they find my pic GREAT or FANTASTIC, even if I get less points than expected.That is what makes this site better than others.

Attacking Patre is cheap and not nice. Look at his portofolio and see that he is developing over time. Maybe not as quick as others, but again, that is no problem cause we're here for learning and fun. Above that, Patre is the most friendly guy on the forum here. He always takes time to comment nicely on every post and is willing to learn. So maybe he gets some friendly votes, but what the heck; what goes around comes around and he who is spreading friendliness will get it back. So what's your problem.

If you are not happy with your vpp, PM me with your real name and I will look over your posts, maybe I can get you some tips. But don't go stir things up behind an alias. If that's all you want, you only torture yourself by sticking around here.

patim

Post Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:04 pm   Reply with quote         

PS:

If you want a real discussion ( you seem to be thriving on it), then PM me instead of making all those loose comments in this thread. Cause now it seems more that you need attention and that goes right against you hiding behind your alias.

You speak wisely but your alias is contradicting your words.

zed

Post Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:10 pm   Reply with quote         

SwordOfTruth, please forgive me if you have explained this already.
Are you suggesting that no sources other than the featured pic should be used? If not, where does one draw the line when using outside sources?

MommysBoy

Post Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:25 pm   Reply with quote         

wow patim!!!! That's all I can say. I'm sure Patre gets some votes of charity & people returning the vote by him. I think everyone who votes does. It's only natural. I know when I post a pic I don't have time to look at every entry, I still have dialup. I do make it a point to click on somebody who voted for me and see what they posted. Many times I will vote for it because I like it but I wouldn't have even seen it if they didn't vote for me. I have voted for pics that weren't real good because I've seen the effort in it. I honestly believe there was a time when Patre got more complimentary votes than deserved votes but I do believe the scales are tipped in the other direction. His work has improved very much. Sometimes Patre gets way too deep into meaning (IMO) than some ppl can deal with. I think he deserves his own thread or fan club. Patre sayings or something. I know this tread isn't really aboout Patre (thx Cynn) but it has become about him because of SOT's comments that I haven't even read.

SOT, take it from me, this stuff doesn't do any good. It may make you feel better and if it does, that may be good enough reason to do it. I think attacking the votee is not really fair to that person. If they are buying votes then maybe so but nobody is being forced to vote for anyone.

I don't have a problem with friends voting for friends but I do have a problem with friends voting only for friends. This is totally not fair to others. I've brought this up before and it doesn't matter anymore to me cause it won't change

The key here to everyone on this site is "ignore". Kids are taught that all the time. "Just ignore it". Sometimes it's hard to do but if you don't, you are just fueling the fire.

Wow, did I say all that?

Post Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:26 pm   Reply with quote         

Patim, thanks to you for stepping in when you did. I thought things were about to spiral out of control. Also, thanks for the offer of what I'm sure would be some enlightening bouts of PM trading but I will pass. I prefer to discuss what it is I have on my mind here in an open forum.

Think what you will but I am perfectly happy with my VPP and my photoshop skill. I will say this again, What I am most concerned with is the apparent lack of ability but the voting population of this great community to decide whether the image one is about to vote for is a scam or an attempt to use photoshop (or some other image editing software) to combine an idea with the starting image and outside sources.

I am not upset, I am not attacking anyone. I have simply commented on my disagreement with the bulk of the users on this site. For that I am cast as a coward and a fake. My words are the same no matter my name. My votes wouldn't be the same.

Thanks again, but no thank you Patim.

Zed, So you've had your fill of fresh air eh? well, the truth is, I do not know what is an acceptable "level" of outside sources. No one does really. But isn't this site called photoshopcontest for a reason. Aren't we all here for a bit of stimulating competition in some for or another? What I have seen more and more as of late is the member who makes a valiant effort at creating an image that shows effort and creativity is overlooked because another member has found a beautiful image somewhere else and has, but with a few strokes of their mouse, pasted some portion of the original where it fits with some acceptance. Do you not see the issue. Could this be why many members that have competed in the past but choose not to now?

How many users have been lost to this site because they see these pretty stock images and are frustrated that the contests have become something other than a display of photo manipulation talent?? Do you know?

Post Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:39 pm   Reply with quote         

SwordOfTruth wrote:
All of your statements ring true except this one. I'm not 32, nor am I a virgin, nor can I spell "renasance". Then again, you can't spell "fair" either.

I never said you were a virgin. I just think the "m'lady" persona reeks of this guy...

Also, when it comes to renaissance faires, it is spelled "faire"

I agree with you on a lot of points. Disagree on a few. Would like to comment but have to run.

I think your biggest mistake was leaving a slightly negative comment (although you did include some positive comments) on the submission of the nicest guy in PSC land.

In hockey terms - everyone knew that no matter what Wayne Gretzky did to you, you couldn't so much as give him a dirty look. If you did, the entire team would lynch you.

Mommysboy - I love everything you just wrote. One of my favourite posts in a while. I appreciate that kind of honesty.

Post Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:39 pm   Reply with quote         

While I have attemted to start a discussion regarding education of voters, lets start with something easier for now. I will present a quiz to Patim in a PM tomorrow. Wish him luck.

Read and understand please
1. Friends voting for Friends is not a problem with me. it happens.
2. Your assumptions regarding lack of votes or low VPP are poorly made.
3. I am not attacking Patre in anyway. I may not have like the number of votes he was receiving but it was not an attack agains Patre. Me No Attacko.
4. I am not starting a war of any kind contrary to YerPalAl's amazing vocabulary.
5. I am not looking for attention, simply a discussion amongst adults
6. I am an Alias, yet oddly, I still type with the same fingers and the same words from my same brain that is also attached to my other username.
7. Cynn is, in fact, a bit over-sensitive.

OK, read them again, study them and then continue below.

What I would like to discuss, (Which Zed has almost done) is the lack of understanding regarding what a contest entry should/used to be about and when an entry is simply a stock image deserving of a bit of praise for finding such a beautiful stock image somewhere in the great world wide internet.

That's what I would like to discuss. Any takers??

bluefist
Site Moderator

Post Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:50 pm   Reply with quote         

I dunno who Sword of Turth really is.

I really don't care if he/she's an alias.

I think aliases are gay....but to each his own.

I agree with a lot of what he/she says, but more so....I agree with the right for that person to say what he/she wants. Even if I don't like it.

Lots of people here have thin skin. It's too bad.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Welcome Center - A noble cause. - Reply to topic