Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Voting - who wants to go back? - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Anonymous posting?

yes

59%

59%

[ 68 ]

no

40%

40%

[ 46 ]

Total Votes: 114

Square

Post Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:12 pm   Reply with quote         

damnit! I always miss the fun around here!

OK....this is a tad late, but I'm picking back up on the soapbox theme from a few pages back.....

*kicks cigarette butts and liquor bottles aside

dusts off soapbox*

As Dewking pointed out, by quoting the site owner, this site is not competition driven. If it was, there would be actual prizes (other than applause and acclaim from fellow members) and there would very likely be a charge for entering (a pay-to-play theme, if you will) to help fund prizes. The rare exception of the 'Total Training' contest was a refreshingly welcome change, but thank god it's not like that all the time.

As for name recognition, I think that gets some people a little bit of an edge, I think most people would admit to that. But take my portfolio for instance. I'm a fairly well known person (or at least my boobs are fairly well known). I don't post much anymore, but for the most part I'd say my entries fall where they should, votewise for the contest. My entry for today, I happen to think is a great idea, but it's not doing so hot in votes. I think if it was done by (sorry to be picking on you, dude) Anfa, it would be getting a helluva lot more votes. But because it's Anfa? No, not really. Because his execution would be so much better than mine. I can hold my own, but there's a reason I was seeded 6th in the last tournament--because I don't deserve to be seeded 1st. I'm fine with that, regardless of how many votes I get. The single best thing I've gotten from this site is a venue for improving my own skills as a photoshopper. I appreciate the fact that the people I respect as choppers won't vote for a crap image, should the rare occasion come about that I do post crap--and I do.

I think Cynn's suggestion of one account per IP address is a terrific one, although would cause a snag for the rare instances where more than one person actually posts from the same computer (i.e. Doodler and MoZub). But as with most sites of this sort, aliases are a big problem, and whether submissions are anonymous or not won't change the fact that people will sometimes create aliases to boost their own (as well as a friend's) VPP. And it won't change the fact that friends will usually vote for friends (ask an old-timer about the 'MSN voting conspiracy of days of yore sometime when you're looking for a story). At least with things being out in the open before a contest is over, aliases and friend-voting is much eaiser for people to pick up on, so I think this provides more protection against both things.

I've been around for both methods. I joined just as things were going from known posters to anonymous submissions. I appreciate the ability to judge an entry against the established body of work of the individual author moreso than the ability to judge an entry against the other entries......because that's not the whole story, simply comparing contest entries strictly against all the other ones for that contest.

As I said before, it's time to let this subject DIE, and not revive it.

BUT....as with all other aspects of this site, I begrudgingly acknowledge the ability to rehash such overly-beaten-to-a-pulp subjects is an integral part of this site, whether I like it or not. So on that note, I'm going to SHUT THE F*CK UP AND CHOP!!!!!!

......................Psst--can someone hand me a tissue? I seem to have developed a nosebleed from being up on that soapbox for so long. Damn, but that thing is HIGH!

cafn8d 09/12 @ 09:41 pm

I've been there! Wow, I've been someplace Square's been! That is SO AWESO... what... the SHIV is over? oh... Well, I've still been there... Smile

https://shannonlea1218.wordpress.com/
marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:31 am   Reply with quote         

man o man, i really missed some fun in here, in my opinion we should all

f**k the chop up and shut... no wait that aint right awwwww ass cream Confused

marcoballistic

Post Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:34 am   Reply with quote         

some quality deflections of random and mostly unprovoked abuse cynn, nice going hun Laughing i know who i want in my corner if the s**t decides to make its way towards the fan

HandToolUK

Post Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:00 am   Reply with quote         

marcoballistic wrote:
some quality deflections of random and mostly unprovoked abuse cynn, nice going hun Laughing i know who i want in my corner if the s**t decides to make its way towards the fan

Hear, hear! Cynn comes out of that with dignity intact and status enhanced IMO.

However, I think this comment from Ta-mir spoke "volumes", as they say:

Ta-mir wrote:
i'm for you , you moran

Quite.

*sits back and opens a packet of crisps of his own*

Smile

Post Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:02 am   Reply with quote         

ha ha ha ha ha Hand Tool got a packet for me man, im fresh out

Cynn

Post Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:31 am   Reply with quote         

Maybe he's referring to Erin Moran, of "Happy Days" fame?

Thanks for the kind words, Marco and HT. Smile

Very well said, Square.

sage

Post Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:42 am   Reply with quote         

I gotta say, kids, yesterday (june 22) was my 39th b-day, and this thread provided more entertainment than Chantal and Karine at Wanda's Laughing

HandToolUK

Post Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:42 am   Reply with quote         

sage wrote:
I gotta say, kids, yesterday (june 22) was my 39th b-day, and this thread provided more entertainment than Chantal and Karine at Wanda's Laughing

LOL

So then, to return to the thread theme:

who wants to go BACK......... to the FUTURE??!!

Great Scott!

Post Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:03 am   Reply with quote         

I much prefer part 2 people its got that 80's future so wrong and sh*tty thang going on yeah

HandToolUK

Post Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:08 am   Reply with quote         

marcoballistic wrote:
I much prefer part 2 people its got that 80's future so wrong ...

Well, let's face it lots of films got the future laughably wrong. Even ones made more recently (in the 80s or 90s) that were projecting forward to 2000+

Post Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:56 am   Reply with quote         

I can't believe it - I was away for TWO days, just TWO DAYS!

And now there are NINE pages on this thread that DID NOT EXIST when I left.

I just am TOO OLD to sit down and read ALL NINE PAGES.

I hope that we've voted on bringing back pork chops, 'cause they taste GREAT with apple sauce!

Post Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:37 pm   Reply with quote         

You know how every once in a while in grade school - if you were lucky enough to witness it - a student would do something completely benign, like whistle in class or tap his desk - but unbeknownst to this student, the teacher was going through some personal problems and having a really bad day. All of a sudden what was once a simple whistle was now the teacher's excuse to release 3 months of pent up rage in a fascinating display of temporary insanity.

Incomprehensible yelling...foaming at the mouth...chairs overturning

God that was a treat.

Teachers are the only profession that can consistently get away with a Daffy Duck routine without getting fired. Since I don't work in a school, I no longer have the privilege of seeing these displays.

This is why Ta-Mir's outburst was like a ray of sunshine.
The man switched from debating the virtues of anonymous voting to threatening a member with rough sex quicker than you can say "wacko Jacko".

The site needs more Ta-Mirs.

Michael Jackson is his avatar and it's not intended to be ironic!

That kinda stuff brings joy to my life.

Ta-Mir, as a reward for your work I have a Michael Jackson riddle:
It's kind of corny and predictable and you may have heard it before but here goes...

What's the difference between Michael Jackson and Neil Armstrong?

Neil Armstrong walked on the moon ...

Michael Jackson...had sex with young boys.

hacky

Post Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:58 pm   Reply with quote         

...allegedly!

nancers 02/01 @ 10:51 pm
hacky is funny :D
ReinMan

Post Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:17 pm   Reply with quote         

Ooohhhh... I SO OBVIOUSLY missed a good thread run here.

Ta-Mir,
you may have my meds now as I don't require them any longer.

Smile

Cynn - I think you logo is SOOOOOOO cute! But then, you are my friend! So my opinion is most likely inaccurate. (you can have some of my meds too if you'd like!)

Why don't we just all sing a few rounds of Kum-By-Ya? That will make the clouds go away and the birds start singing again here at PSC. Very Happy Wink Very Happy Smile Very Happy

sage

Post Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:38 pm   Reply with quote         

doggonnit, rein, I'm never sure of what happens after "someone's crying." Embarassed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Voting - who wants to go back? - Reply to topic