Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - All Source - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

blue_lurker

Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:47 am   Reply with quote         

Ok this is just an observation, and I was wondering what others think. I wonder why some people take the time to type in there notes comments like this, "All source except the background and the head", (just picked background and head, could be any thing you like but for this reference it's background and head Razz ).

I dont know if it's me but all source is just that, all source. Not all source ecxept a few things I added. Smile I beleive that all source images are the hardest to acheive and shows a great use of PS and skills.

Well there ya go, what do others think about this small issue.(Now dont go getting all upset Im just passing the time here and was wondering)

TofuTheGreat

Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:33 am   Reply with quote         

I'll ditto the guy with the funny accent. Laughing

Wett

Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:52 am   Reply with quote         

Oh God, now I bet JMH is gonna add an "all source" voting button Laughing

blue_lurker

Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:52 am   Reply with quote         

Mmmm never been dittoed before...do I need to get my latex gloves Twisted Evil

HandToolUK

Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:55 am   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:
I beleive that all source images are the hardest to acheive and shows a great use of PS and skills.

I think this has been touched on here before (but then what hasn't?) - generally I can see the point of saying "all source", but having said that I think we have to be careful about assuming an "all source" entry is necessarily better than one that includes outside elements.

A major part of the art and skill of PS creativity is not just manipulating a single source, but also finding (or creating from scratch) and integrating additional elements effectively, getting aspects such as perspective, scale, lighting and texture to fit seamlessly with the original source (or whatever parts of the source are used).

EDIT - maybe that was bad timing adding a comment including the phrase "touched on" right after a comment about latex gloves... Laughing Razz

blue_lurker

Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:02 am   Reply with quote         

You are right HTK an all source image is no better than any other image but it shows a different type of skill I suppose, and a little more imagination because of the restrictions of no out side help. But then I have done all source images and used another image as a guide/template/aid...whatevery you want to call it, each image should be judge on its own special content and finish. I guess you could add the "gif V still" image debate here as well.

HandToolUK

Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:04 am   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:
I guess you could add the "gif V still" image debate here as well.

Haha! Oh dear - don't get us all started on THAT little argument! That was DEFINITELY one we all had fun bitchin' about on these forums a couple of years back... Rolling Eyes

Got almost as bad as the constant rows about voting and aliases... (Almost. NOTHING could be as tedious as those debates... Razz)

For the record, my view is that some of the best entries I've ever seen are GIFs, and there should be no question they deserve a place at PSC...

blue_lurker

Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:07 am   Reply with quote         

What debates about voting and aliases, is there some thing I have missed living under my rock Laughing

But seriously why put "all source" in your notes then say "except the whatever". It just dont make sense to me.

HandToolUK

Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:17 am   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:
What debates about voting and aliases, is there some thing I have missed living under my rock

Well sadly (ahem) most of those debates were lost when the forum shipped over to its new format (and also after we had a few "attacks" on the new forum in its early days and a load of threads were lost - and if you didn't know about THAT load of shenanigans.. well I'm not going to go back over the gory details here!)

You might find a few bits of the old threads in the Migrated Topics section though... but a lot of them will be mangled as they weren't all recovered completely...

blue_lurker

Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:22 am   Reply with quote         

Um thanks HTK...um...but I was pulling ya leg mate...I was not a member then but I was a lurker. Smile

HandToolUK

Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:27 am   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:
Um thanks HTK...um...but I was pulling ya leg mate...I was not a member then but I was a lurker. Smile

You always are. Razz

Besides, I thought I'd fill in some of the newbies on some of the recent background... and if that doesn't put ya off, then you're welcome to stick around! Laughing

Back to the point though: I agree with "all source... except for..." being a bit odd. Especially when the exceptions turn out to be several pretty major elements in the image!

blue_lurker

Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:34 am   Reply with quote         

Damn it man ya to nice...Im not use to people being nice...over here in OZ we all take the piss and fool around. (Not on our wives...well yeah some do but I dont...well there was that once I thought about it...but that dont count...does it) Confused

mikey

Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:45 am   Reply with quote         

I like to see at least 50% or more source in a picture Cool

zorda

Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:26 pm   Reply with quote         

so then Mikey...I have to fill half my post with thousands of beaks???? :lol: :P

I used a dogs nose and one of it's teeth in a post once. The nose was about 25 percent of the final pic. Does that count? :P

zorda

Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:27 pm   Reply with quote         

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Razz Razz Razz Razz this is for the ones I missed in the other post Very Happy

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - All Source - Reply to topic