Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Idiomatic Expressions - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Tommeken

Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:54 am   Reply with quote         

buckie74 wrote:
Okay, so we in the USA say, "It's raining cats and dogs." I believe the French say something like, "It's raining ropes." The French have the better idea, I think. The kids I teach love learning these expressions. Could you please give me idiomatic expressions from places other than the USA? A visual example would be great, too. Thanks!

don't know what they say in france but i bet it's not "it's raining ropes"...i think they say it in french Razz Twisted Evil

buglover

Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:59 am   Reply with quote         

Granulated wrote:
It's ironic you say "from places other than the USA"
"from places other than the USA" is allways ironic if it is said by an American Laughing

Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:11 am   Reply with quote         

Dry as a nuns c ...no cant say that one
Suck it and See...not for little kids huh
Quick as a priest in an alter boy..guess not huh
Man I only know dirty ones...not safe for kiddies sorry

Wiz

Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:43 am   Reply with quote         

"Flat out, like a lizard drinking!" = Speeding reference.

"Chuck a U-ie!"= Reverse direction.

"Take a Captain Cook!" = Have a look.

"She'll be apples!"= OK.

"Come a Gutsa!" = Accident.

"Crack a Fat!" = Erection.

"Eating with the flies!" = Eating alone.

"Grab a Slab!" = Purchase a Carton of 24 beers.

"Would you look at that White pointer!" = Observe Topless female.

"It's YOUR shout!" = It's your turn to buy the bloody beer mate. (Never query this one;-)

Wiz

supak0ma

Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:55 am   Reply with quote         

annajon wrote:
Your Cats and Dogs, are our Pipestalks - And when I did an archeological dig at my old house in Rotterdam, it seemed that was totally true! Because I found an enourmous amount of clay pipes in various states of brakege. The cheap clay pipes were the first sign of our modern consumer sociaty - use and throw away

It is raining Pipestalks is when we say it is raining cats and dogs[/img]

I had discovered an old sewerpit that was used to disgard household rubbish in the 18th century and 19th century - belonging to a house that was there before ours was build.

i see, smoking pipes eh? i love dutchland Very Happy

cafn8d

Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:42 am   Reply with quote         

A few from my mother, some are old fashioned, some are more Southern, some I have no idea about!

mad as a wet hen / madder than a wet hen - really angry. I guess hens don't like to get wet.

uglier than a mud fence dotted with tadpoles - really ugly. This one always cracked me up.

My tongue got in the way of my eyeteeth and I couldn't see what I was saying. - to misspeak, either be mistaken on fact or stumble over a pronounciation, or say something backwards from what you meant.

You're entitled to you're own stupid opinion. - often put in first person so as to be less insulting... meaning is obvious, but the word "stupid" slips in one's own opinion at the same time.

A mouth as big as yours and you missed! - if food falls off someone's fork or is otherwise dropped on the way to that person's mouth.

moving like a herd of turtles - making rather slow progress toward a destination or goal

as slow as molasses uphill in January - moving very slowly or stopped

six of one, half-dozen of the other - doesn't matter which one when presented with a choice

to have the salt shaker - to have a turn to speak without interruption, used beyond the dinner table

up with the chickens / sleep with the chickens - to get up or go to bed early

to do the heavy looking on - to be on the scene of people working, especially manual labor, but to not be helping much, some might call it "supervising."

splodge

Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:03 am   Reply with quote         

bent as a 9 bob note: ilegal
ride it like you stole it: ride fast
hollow legs: big drinker Smile
It's raining cats and dogs??? i think i made this up when i was a kid, when it's raining so hard it's spraying back up into the air, i called that "Bouncy rain" and still do

yep, i just googled "bouncy rain" and no one else uses it, can i copyright it Smile

Hallcross Toots
splodge

Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:55 pm   Reply with quote         

also
head banger, 40 years ago did mean a nutter, total lunatic, someone likely to sit in a room banging there head against a wall. now it means leather clad heavy metal music fan, ahhhh! now i see the thinking behind it Laughing

Hallcross Toots
buckie74

Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:15 pm   Reply with quote         

OMG! These are great. The kids will love most of them and the faculty will enjoy the rest. Not surprised to be reminded that "cats and dogs" saying is English. Lately, around here anyway, there is developing an understanding that English English and American English have less in common, obviously, as time goes on. Having taught for so long, it gets difficult to liven things up with new material. Love the pipestalks. Never heard of them. Blue never disapoints. My husband will love those. New material for his crowd.... Thanks for the reality check, Tommeken. You have my hubbie's admiration and his sense of humor. Please keep them coming. This is fun! Patti

Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:31 pm   Reply with quote         

for crying in the sink ...my mom would say that. I still don't know what it means but she never cursed so maybe she really wanted to say "shite!"

Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:41 pm   Reply with quote         

Tommeken wrote:
buckie74 wrote:
Okay, so we in the USA say, "It's raining cats and dogs." I believe the French say something like, "It's raining ropes." The French have the better idea, I think. The kids I teach love learning these expressions. Could you please give me idiomatic expressions from places other than the USA? A visual example would be great, too. Thanks!

don't know what they say in france but i bet it's not "it's raining ropes"...i think they say it in french Razz Twisted Evil

Sh!t fire and save the matches is something my Grandfather would say when he was mad.

Marx-Man

Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:43 pm   Reply with quote         

Chalk Walk.

"Do a Chalk Walk" means become a homicide victim. Mainly because the chalk always looks like it's halfway through a walk cycle.

Speak Easy

Liquor, because it loosens the lips and inhibitions.

Mir

Post Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:29 am   Reply with quote         

we have a saying" the reed does not crakle in vain, meaning when there's a rumour going round about some one, there's usually some truth in it.

The cat that gives birth too quickly has blind kittens, meaning that if you do something too fast, you will probably not do it right.

Her tounge cuts like a knife, means she can say some very hurtful things.

The sea has a soft belly and a hard head, meaning the sea can be very dangerous.

"Sun and Rain, only God knows when," means, nobody knows the future except God.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Idiomatic Expressions - Reply to topic