Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Peace Tiles - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

annajon

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:13 am   Reply with quote         

1. requirement is to find a group of friends, that want to find out more or discusse the HIV/Aids problems, maybe people who have HIV infection or Aids can talk about what their life is like, knowing this terrible faith.

The call many years ago went out to artists like yourself Micose, who would set up workshops, to create awareness and to create a platform for HIV infected people to be able to find a safe place to talk about what goes on in their life.

The Peace Tiles that are send in for exhibitions around the world all have to be on 8 by 8 inch multi plex wood, at the moment I am not sure about how thick the tiles are to be. But I do know that it is cheap wood, so that can never be an obstical.

All other information is in the workshop sites. I will try and find the original website, where all information was put on, in simple words in three points.

Maybe you can try and get other artists in France warmed up to this project, so they can find other people in youth clubs etc. who can set up workshops.

I thought of the PSC, because we as a large group can create an online mureal of 8 by 8 inch photoshops, dealing with HIV and our thoughts on the Aids politics.
But ultimatly I am hoping that there will be people willing to send Lars Hasselblatt Torres an email with the message that they have finished a workshop and are now prowd owners of some Peace Tiles. Each group can donate one of the works or create a special work to send to the USA, headquaters and for the others, I would hope there would be a special place in a townhall, or a church, or an other public building, where they would be permanently on display.

I have been trying to set things up for the past two years now, and I will keep trying, untill it works.

So, in two lines:

BASIC INGREDIENTS FOR PEACE TILES found on the links in the first forum entry.

FIND A GROUP OF PEOPLE WHO CARE ABOUT or who are experianced with HIV/AIDS, who want to teach other people something of the life after HIV/AIDS, while in the mean time making the Peace Tiles.

That is what the workshop is all about. And everybody is free to set it up.

Lars H. Torres loves to hear about all the events, he also likes you to make photo's of the event, you can publish your report on your own website if you like, but make sure that the word keeps spreading. There is way to little knowledge and caring in the whole community for what goes on still.

And we have to keep it in the publics eye, because the ultimate goal is to make sure that all people will have access to medication when they need it, and that youth is aware that HIV and AIDS are everywhere in the world, not just in an obscure place in Africa.

Anna

PS, sorry Micose, just a little more then two lines, but the basic lines are in here.

annajon

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:32 pm   Reply with quote         

stay tuned

annajon

Post Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:24 pm   Reply with quote         

bump e te bump

Please keep reading and let others know about it

annajon

Post Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:28 am   Reply with quote         

Here is a link to a pdf file that explains how to set up workshops

http://mixedmedia.us/peacetiles/files/peacetiles_workshop_design.pdf

Anna

annajon

Post Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:07 am   Reply with quote         

By the way, Lars H. Torres thinks it would be a great idea to promote Peace Tiles through PSC. So where are you people who want to join?

annajon

Post Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:58 pm   Reply with quote         

bump

annajon

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:14 am   Reply with quote         

pale Hmmm Rolling Eyes

annajon

Post Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:50 am   Reply with quote         

There is a new World Aids Day soon, and this year the theme is Make Art With Children - So to all you PSC'ers who are parents, uncles/aunties, godparents, teachers, groupleaders..... please note the following letter from Lars Hasselblad Torres

Hi everyone,

World AIDS Day is just around the corner - a day to commemorate our heros and to celebrate a shared hope that we can beat the global AIDS pandemic - that we can Make AIDS History. As you probably know, UNAIDS estimates there nearly 40 million people living with HIV, including 2.3 million children. During 2006 some 4.3 million people became newly infected with the virus. Around half of all people who become infected with HIV do so before they are 25 and are killed by AIDS before they are 35. Around 95% of people with HIV/AIDS live in developing nations.

World AIDS Day is a wonderful opportunity to help shift young people's awareness around the global pandemic toward one other: toward ways they can support and share and learn from each other.

For the last couple of years I have been working with partners in Africa and elsewhere to test and expand the Global Peace Tiles Project's World AIDS Day initiative. The basic aims of the project are to:

Educate young people about the global AIDS pandemic through art
Engage young people in the creation of peer-to-peer messages through mixed media art
Brighten the spotlight on the pandemic by creating large-scale murals composed of images gathered from around the world

The basic idea of a "Peace Tile" is that young people tell their story on an 8-inch square tile used mixed media and collage techniques. These are produced during safe, structured workshops that respond to local needs and the context of the young people themselves (ie take into account the needs around safety, status, age, etc). I've been working to create ways to deepen the possibilities for sharing and exchange of tiles online, but that's taking some time...!

For now, the Peace Tiles project supports the growth of the network by offering training workshops as well as providing small "micro grants" to interested community-based organizations in the global South that would like to purchase necessary supplies to host a workshop. For World AIDS Day 2007 I am encouraging as many groups as I can to host local workshops and exhibitions, and to send a few of their tiles to me for inclusion in a 2008 World AIDS Orphans Day mural that will be exhibited in a location to be arranged in May of next year. I also hope well-resourced schools would be willing to use their World AIDS Day experience as a way to raise funds to support workshops elsewhere.

You can learn more about Peace Tiles at http://www.peacetiles.net

I'd like to ask for your help in a couple of ways:

Would you have a look at our AIDS discussion guide, "A Triumph of the Spirit" and provide some feedback? The aim here is to use the Peace Tiles created by children as an entry-point into discussions that illuminate various dimensions of the pandemic. The guide is available online as a download:
http://www.mixedmedia.us/files/peacetiles_wad2007_guide.pdf
Would you also be able to review the Workshop Design Guide, and provide some feedback on that as well? It is available for download at:
http://mixedmedia.us/files/peacetiles_workshop_design_2007.pdf
Would you be willing to convene your own Peace Tiles workshop, and encourage the young people you work with to reach out - share their "visual voice" on AIDS with other young people? This can be done through Peace Tiles exhibitions and exchanges.
I offer these as examples of the spirit of our work, with the hope that you'll consider helping us to disseminate the materials to a larger international audience. Of course, if you are involved in a different way of commemorating World AIDS Day this year, I'd love to learn about that too, without exception.
Many thanks for your consideration - do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions - on email I'm at peacetiles @ gmail.com (this is Lars Torres' email)
Warmest regards,

lars
---
Lars Hasselblad Torres

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Peace Tiles - Reply to topic