Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Authenticity - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

anfa

Post Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:15 pm   Reply with quote         

That's too bendy! Wink

anfa

Post Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:22 pm   Reply with quote         

dumbat- It can be acquired and also lost just like everything else!!! Cool

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:55 pm   Reply with quote         

anfa wrote:
I know claf has and I know Rey has and I think I have, but who else thinks they still have there artistic integrity?

What a great topic!
To me, what we create here is not about artistic abilities but more about creative talent and as already stated about knowing how to use the tools of the programs we use.

So I'm guessing your point about "artistic integrity" has to do with realism (i.e., correct shadows, perspective, dof, focal points, and yes, even facial expressions.)

Rey said,
99% of the time if it looks like a mistake, it's a mistake. and that is very true.

This is a cool topic for this community to explore.

dewdew

Post Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:04 pm   Reply with quote         

Artistic Integrity????.......shit.......i pawned mine.....my crack funds were dwindling. Smile

anfa

Post Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:05 pm   Reply with quote         

How much do I try to make it look real 'vs' FUN ?

dumbat

Post Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:12 pm   Reply with quote         

i guess artistic integrity is something i strive for, moreso than ever. in the past yes i'd try to make my attempted photorealistic chops look real. but with increasing experience, i find i'm spending more and more time staring at the 'finished' chop trying to spot flaws, things that you wouldn't see in reality, or things that are in the chop that you shouldn't see in reality

and quite often i find myself looking at things (eg the dirty wall in the tube station) and wondering how i could reproduce it in photoshop Laughing

Tawiskaro

Post Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:35 pm   Reply with quote         

I really like this one by Anabrin. It has authenticity, doesn't it? Realistic and fun. It produces in the viewer what the old school science fiction writers sought to produce in their readers: suspension of disbelief. Like ReyRey said above about Jackie Chan. We know there will never be a lizard Bill Evans accompanying a crooning lizard Tony Bennett, but if you make it real enough, the viewer buys it. The idea does a lot to sell it, but the sale is completed by the authenticity. Make it look real enough, and even the most preposterous, physically impossible concept becomes believable. But to make it "real," you need the eye, the tools, and the skill.

Does this sound right? Also, can someone define a bit more clearly what is meant by "artistic integrity"?

Post Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:20 am   Reply with quote         

Confused

WhimSea

Post Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:09 am   Reply with quote         

Integrity usually refers to a person's moral character, but artistic integrity is more about your work ethics and the values and standards you have regarding how you work and the work itself.

So I'd say a mixture of morality, virtue and having a set of values towards your work. Putting your own thoughts, ideas and hard work into a piece. Not selling out, not copying someone else's work, and not putting your name on work that is below your standards, say just for money. or a laptop! Wink

Tarmac

Post Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:15 am   Reply with quote         

Eve wrote:
To me, what we create here is not about artistic abilities but more about creative talent and as already stated about knowing how to use the tools of the programs we use.

I agree with you Eve on your quote above and with what WhimSea just said regarding integrity in relation to artistic integrity.

I've always thought of artistic integrity as standing by what one sees and creating it rather creating something others want to see from the artist. But I could be wrong. Wink

Wiz

Post Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:37 am   Reply with quote         

"If the image says to you;_ "Doh! Why didn't I think of that, that is so,so simple!... It usually isn't.

It's a lot of very hard work to deceive a very sharp and canny jury, namely us!!!!! Wink

So if you are lazy it will show, if you are cheating it will found out, if you put in the the hard yards it will gain respect and votes.

Just be yourself and do the best that you can, and improve your next chop... That's all there is to doing the Master Chop that wins!!!!!!!

Learn from the Winners by working out how the f@ck did they do that blend, colour, dissolve whatever that caught your eye and everybody else's.

The Devil is in the Detail, so the saying goes... and his playground is the PSC Chop! So STFUAKC

Laughing Laughing Laughing :lol:Wiz

Post Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:29 am   Reply with quote         

anfa wrote:
I know claf has and I know Rey has and I think I have, but who else thinks they still have there artistic integrity?

I still gots mine.

Wink

Post Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:06 am   Reply with quote         

anfa wrote:
\
Looking for that DAMN integrity..

TheShaman

Post Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:10 am   Reply with quote         

Halloo!

what are we talkin bout buddy boys?
Climbin' trees? That's what Tiggers do best! Only Tiggers don't climb trees, they *bounce* 'em!
Artificiqus integruous?
My family is full of it! whoo-hoo-hoo-hoooo!

T-T-F-N. Ta-ta for now.

Post Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:30 am   Reply with quote         

çà,)àç),àç),àç,)àç,)à,çàç,)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Authenticity - Reply to topic