Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Comment Etiquette - This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

blue_lurker

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:52 am   Reply with quote         

Being a member of this place for a few years now, and a lurker for longer I have noticed many different trends and methods with comments. What I’m going to try and do here is start some form of vote comment etiquette. Now I know a few people will take offence about some of the ideas I have and I’m sure the thread will be hijacked and become another thread about PIE, but until then lets at least try and get some ground rules discussed. I will try and add some forum links to ideas that have been disused before for those that want to know the history. So what Im going to do is type the comment and we can discuss if its what we want.

This ones a winner for sure or winner and the like.
Is it just me or do others find that this comment makes you cringe when its on your entry,

All source except the background, head, trees, ect.
http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=97394&highlight=#97394
http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=4578&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

The update messages.
Ok want to comment on this.
Updates are fine but how many updates do we allow, in recent contests there have been up to 10 updates. I know it’s a learning thing but when I vote on one thing I expect it to at least remain true to the original image. So should there be a limit on updtaes, or no updates after the first day. Just ideas to throw around.
http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=139036&highlight=#139036

Artistic entries.
This is difficult but when some one achieves an artistic abstract style image so many people tell them what is wrong with it, um its that’s persons interpretation I’m sure you would not tell picaso what is wrong with his cubism paintings now would you..
http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=6740&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

The forum post
It is an unwritten rule, but one that gets broken many times. Posting your entry or some one else’s in the forum whilst the contest is still active. Should we make this a solid rule with in the boundaries of PSC.

Ok that’s enough from me and if I make this any longer half you buggers wont read it. Just remember this is an idea’s thread add your own pull mine to bits its what we do here.

Lurker out

ReyRey

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:53 am   Reply with quote         

No pie here. Honest. Very Happy
As for the abstract comment. They teach abstract in college and they tell you what is wrong or right. There are some soft rules to abstract. A trained artist knows if something is done well or not. There is a design aspect to it. It should flow and keep the viewers attention. There are certain things one can do wrong that make the viewers eye wander and not really see what the artist wanted them to see. If certain parts of the image are done wrong, (bad masks, bad color decisions, etc.) it ruins the effect of what could have been a nice image. If you create an image that is supposed to make people feel calm and there is a distracting mistake in it, it loses it's effect and defeats what the artist was trying to do. Abstract is not usually random. The artist usually knows what he is trying to achieve. That is why some are really good at it, (Micose) and others are just not as interesting. Sometimes an artist has a vision in mind but has trouble expressing it on canvas (or whatever) They have trouble making it interesting or intriguing, that is where the trained eye can help.Ya know what I mean? Wink
As for the rest......I'm guilty. Laughing

blue_lurker

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:06 am   Reply with quote         

Shit 2Rey we are all guilty of bad etiquette in here mate. I love your explanation of abstract, I have had no formal training other than what I have been shown here, hence the fact that things like abstract escape my limited skills. that's why I have trouble commenting on abstract images I don't try to comprehend what the artist had in mind that makes commenting on what I beleive wrong difficult.

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:18 am   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:
As for the abstract comment. They teach abstract in college and they tell you what is wrong or right. There are some soft rules to abstract. A trained artist knows if something is done well or not. There is a design aspect to it. It should flow and keep the viewers attention. There are certain things one can do wrong that make the viewers eye wander and not really see what the artist wanted them to see. If certain parts of the image are done wrong, (bad masks, bad color decisions, etc.) it ruins the effect of what could have been a nice image. If you create an image that is supposed to make people feel calm and there is a distracting mistake in it, it loses it's effect and defeats what the artist was trying to do. Abstract is not usually random. The artist usually knows what he is trying to achieve. That is why some are really good at it, (Micose) and others are just not as interesting. Sometimes an artist has a vision in mind but has trouble expressing it on canvas (or whatever) They have trouble making it interesting or intriguing, that is where the trained eye can help.Ya know what I mean? Wink
rey rey where did you get your information about abstract painters????? abstract should have no meaning for the vieuwer only a feeling can do , you talk more about figurative abstract works , where a composition is involved, i noticed in many visit to calleries that people always surching something in it, its crazy, the see cows or people or flowers and they think thats great, well abstract painting is starting with a white canvas and you dont know where its getting, for instance karrel appel isnt abstract at all or picaso, micose here at psc is working with abstract skills but is more figurative and expressionisme ( great stuff btw ), i could talk about this subject for days, but i dont, take the cobra group all figurative with abstract skills, so thats it for now

ReyRey

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:19 am   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:
Shit 2Rey we are all guilty of bad etiquette in here mate. I love your explanation of abstract, I have had no formal training other than what I have been shown here, hence the fact that things like abstract escape my limited skills. that's why I have trouble commenting on abstract images I don't try to comprehend what the artist had in mind that makes commenting on what I beleive wrong difficult.

You don't have to try and know what the artist is thinking, but if something looks wrong, it probably is and if the painting does not hold your interest, it is not good. If you look at it and feel nothing, it is not good.

ReyRey

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:21 am   Reply with quote         

candron wrote:
ReyRey wrote:
rey rey where did you get your information about abstract painters????? abstract should have no meaning for the vieuwer only a feeling can do , you talk more about figurative abstract works , where a composition is involved, i noticed in many visit to calleries that people always surching something in it, its crazy, the see cows or people or flowers and they think thats great, well abstract painting is starting with a white canvas and you dont know where its getting, for instance karrel appel isnt abstract at all or picaso, micose here at psc is working with abstract skills but is more figurative and expressionisme ( great stuff btw ), i could talk about this subject for days, but i dont, take the cobra group all figurative with abstract skills, so thats it for now

I think you misunderstood me. Read my last comment to BL. I think that simplifies what I was trying to say. There is skill involved or else everyone would be good at it. Not many are.
Sure everyone can make an abstract and say it is what they saw in their head but if nobody else gets a feeling from it. You did not do a good job. This goes for all art. Not just abstract.

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:22 am   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:
blue_lurker wrote:

You don't have to try and know what the artist is thinking, but if something looks wrong, it probably is and if the painting does not hold your interest, it is not good. If you look at it and feel nothing, it is not good.
feelings are flexible , what i like you maybe dont , it has nothing to do with the painting is good or bad. btw that goes for every style than not only abstract

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:29 am   Reply with quote         

SO THIS IS ABSTACT YES? and is it ok?

ReyRey

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:30 am   Reply with quote         

There is a reason why certain abstracts are successful and some are not. Do you agree? There are always that group of people that have to say they like someone that nobody else likes because it makes them feel special like they know something nobody else does, or they are deeper and more genius than others. That is fine too. But when it comes time to sell, the buyers will have the final word. Some peoples genius is not recognized until way after they are dead but these are few and far between.

ReyRey

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:31 am   Reply with quote         

candron wrote:

Yes, I think it is excellent. Except for the lens flash. Laughing Laughing

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:32 am   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:
There is a reason why certain abstracts are successful and some are not. Do you agree? There are always that group of people that have to say they like someone that nobody else likes because it makes them feel special like they know something nobody else does, or they are deeper and more genius than others. That is fine too. But when it comes time to sell, the buyers will have the final word. Some peoples genius is not recognized until way after they are dead but these are few and far between.
i agree

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:32 am   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:
candron wrote:

Yes, I think it is excellent.
thx thats one of my hundreds i did

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:35 am   Reply with quote         

it was a lamp above it when it was taken in a rush, Laughing

ReyRey

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:35 am   Reply with quote         

candron wrote:
ReyRey wrote:
candron wrote:

Yes, I think it is excellent.
thx thats one of my hundreds i did

You have a skill and an eye that not many have. The ability to know when something is done and done right, (weather you realize it or not). The ability to know that the viewer will get a feeling or find something pleasing. There are many ways that that image could have gone wrong. I'm sure there is a reason why you picked that one. I'm sure there are many that you have done that you did not want to put up there. You picked the one you thought was most successful.

blue_lurker

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:36 am   Reply with quote         

Ok being honest here, about that painting. I dont understand what is artistic about it...to me it is just splatters on a canvas there is no control or object or even a justification of use of color. Im not having a go here Ron Im just trying to understand how you guys can say to some one that there interpretation/expression is wrong when it is artistic. I don't understand how some say that the reflections are wrong or shadows are wrong when the image is there interpretation.

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Comment Etiquette - This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.