Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - I have to ask... - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

TutorMe
Site Moderator

Location: Sitting in this room playing Russian roulette, finger on the trigger to my dear Juliet.

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:55 pm   Reply with quote         

I really hate to start shit. Really. But lately something has been bothering me and I just have to ask. Since when does slapping a filter on your chop qualify as art? Beautiful? Wonderful?

I'm not talking about using filters to help achieve an effect... I'm talking about doing a chop, and then adding a filter to it and calling it art. When I first came here, doing this, you would get maybe a few votes. Now I'm seeing entries like this with a lot more votes than they would have gotten in the past.

Some of you may not even know who I am, and that's because I usually try to keep a low profile, and have not posted many chops myself. This isn't about my chops. I mostly like to come here and look at the images. When I find the time, and end up with a result I like, I'll submit a chop.

I mean seriously... When I look at the thumbnail, it looks great. Then viewing full size is disappointing. It seems like the filter is used to hide flaws.

-Trey

mike.b.

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:47 am   Reply with quote         

sorry

TutorMe
Site Moderator

Location: Sitting in this room playing Russian roulette, finger on the trigger to my dear Juliet.

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:52 am   Reply with quote         

mike.b.29 wrote:

ive been asking that same question all day ..take a look this has 0 filters ..2 layers and a but load of brush and smudge

filter free..

http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/142352/many-different-faces.html

It's really nice work. I saw that earlier, and thought how you actually had to put work into it. With some though, I'm just not seeing work. And most of the work they did is covered by the filter.

mike.b.

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:57 am   Reply with quote         

AMEN!!! i didnt want to be the one to have to start this thread

TutorMe
Site Moderator

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:58 am   Reply with quote         

mike.b.29 wrote:

Me either. Sad

NOGOODSK8RPUNK

Location: hum let me think, oh i know, if you look real hard i sometimes appear in your forum's text box

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:17 am   Reply with quote         

TutorMe wrote:
mike.b.29 wrote:

Me either. Sad
but you did Laughing look dude... psc goes through its stages of chops... i've found that many great old truely talented members have been taking a break from chopping... thus the ones just starting out rely on filters and submit their chops as so. and as conclusion this is why they are getting votes more than regulary... honest truth but in all reality people need to start out some where... and what better place then this site Wink

PSC is like a gang... i got beat in... if i leave... they'll beat me off!!!
bigbuck

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:58 am   Reply with quote         

I used a little Gaussian Blur......that's a filter isn't it?

marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:19 am   Reply with quote         

I use the blur and noise filters, and that is about it. I am as a rule of thumb, not keen at all about the use of filters. They are a cop out, a shortcut to what can be achieved and better if a little time and effort is put in.

Matt has a point for newbies, and to this regard I assess the filter use on a basis of how experienced the chopper is.

Mike's entry is truly a wonderful piece of personal expression, and yet filter entries are proving more successful currently.

I have seen it before and we will no doubt see it again.

The main reason for this, as I keep saying, is at normal viewing size, entries can look great, and filters may not be visible as they blend better at the medium size PSC displays images at. So the issue lies with members not clicking big to see the true detail and work in images, or indeed exposing the amount of filter use.

Now for many, filters can be used along with good quality work and people will see that, that I have little issue with. But my problem personally is when an entry is submitted and it has just 2 or 3 filters slapped on it, bish, bash, bosh 1 minute chop job done.

What do you learn from that... how to click buttons and slide bars around.

I say if you like a filter, but can see it is in essence a bit fake looking. Try and recreate it yourself, or do something original and find your own work patterns that make great looks and effects. At the end of it you will feel like you have achieved something, and learnt something. And not just used a bunch of pre-sets to get a half assed result.

mike.b.

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:24 am   Reply with quote         

marcoballistic wrote:
I use the blur and noise filters, and that is about it. I am as a rule of thumb, not keen at all about the use of filters. They are a cop out, a shortcut to what can be achieved and better if a little time and effort is put in.

Matt has a point for newbies, and to this regard I assess the filter use on a basis of how experienced the chopper is.

Mike's entry (which he should not have posted in a forum when it is a live comp by the way) is truly a wonderful piece of personal expression, and yet filter entries are proving more successful currently.

I have seen it before and we will no doubt see it again.

The main reason for this, as I keep saying, is at normal viewing size, entries can look great, and filters may not be visible as they blend better at the medium size PSC displays images at. So the issue lies with members not clicking big to see the true detail and work in images, or indeed exposing the amount of filter use.

Now for many, filters can be used along with good quality work and people will see that, that I have little issue with. But my problem personally is when an entry is submitted and it has just 2 or 3 filters slapped on it, bish, bash, bosh 1 minute chop job done.

What do you learn from that... how to click buttons and slide bars around.

I say if you like a filter, but can see it is in essence a bit fake looking. Try and recreate it yourself, or do something original and find your own work patterns that make great looks and effects. At the end of it you will feel like you have achieved something, and learnt something. And not just used a bunch of pre-sets to get a half assed result.

sorry im still a newbie:)
mabey i can just filter it out of here.......off the forum...or hell off the whole site.....im not voting today just so you people know im pissed....have a site mod remove my forum post im too busy to go through and delete it...sorry..isnt there a rules sheet for me too look at that says no forum posting...please someone pm me with this info please..
o i never use filters..unless its blur ...i get noise from another souce...no bar sliding for me unless its hue and sat.

TheShaman

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:34 am   Reply with quote         

I use filters all the time. I just use them less noticeably (most times). AND they're never used as the be all end all. (OH look I slapped a sketch filter on the source and called it a day) I use them for finishers. Gaussian blur, noise, Cloud, displacement maps, photo filters, or if I need a lens flare for a sun in one of my space pictures. I've yet to figure out a way to do that one myself. If you can, do what marco said, find your own way to do it. If not, don't just use it, blend it in with what you're doing. You see... when I do use a filter, I don't just use it, I tweak the hello kitty out of it before you see the final result.

Adobe gives you PS filters for a reason... to use them. Now if you misuse them or use them badly...
thats not Adobe's fault Laughing

I guess the moral is... Don't be lazy.
my 2¢

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:16 am   Reply with quote         

I used the flood filter and I'm not ashamed.

Micose

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:03 am   Reply with quote         

TheShaman wrote:
I use filters all the time. I just use them less noticeably (most times). AND they're never used as the be all end all. (OH look I slapped a sketch filter on the source and called it a day) I use them for finishers. Gaussian blur, noise, Cloud, displacement maps, photo filters, or if I need a lens flare for a sun in one of my space pictures. I've yet to figure out a way to do that one myself. If you can, do what marco said, find your own way to do it. If not, don't just use it, blend it in with what you're doing. You see... when I do use a filter, I don't just use it, I tweak the hello kitty out of it before you see the final result.

Adobe gives you PS filters for a reason... to use them. Now if you misuse them or use them badly...
thats not Adobe's fault Laughing

I guess the moral is... Don't be lazy.
my 2¢

voila.
dewdew

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:59 am   Reply with quote         

I use filters for my coffee....i hope that's ok. Razz

Filters are made to SPEED up Production time for the PRO'S. Here at PSC you don't have to be SPEEDY....So take time to LEARN HOW a Filter works.

Really, i don't have a problem with filters, as long as they are not used to cover up shitty chopping or to make a "ONE CLICK WONDER". A filter is basically an ACTION that has been saved...so it is ONE way the programmers who worked at Adobe achieved the effect.....but like everything in PS....it may not be the best way....and i can asure you, it's not the only way. Take the SHITTY CHROME filter....it sucks...but if you want it to look real....study how to make a CHROME gradient and how to apply it to get the best effect.....learn what colors need to go where to make the Chrome....i promise you....you can make better looking CHROME, than the filter ADOBE sold you. Argh Almost all filters can be reproduced with alot better results, if you understand how they work. (maybe not the lens flare) Neutral but almost all.

My advise to any NOOBIE that uses filters alot is STUDY TUT'S.....ALL TUT's...YES, EVEN THE REAL BORING ONES. I have a 3 subject notebook where i write down my notes and alot of the tut's i look at. I know that is old fashion, and also time consuming but, the paper notebook can't Crash. Mr. Green Another idea is to make a rough draft sketch of what it is you want to do for a chop. You don't have to be a illustrator to sketch. Stick men and KIDDY houses are good enough, mainly it gives you a chance to go thru the chop process in your head, and also gives you a place to make notes on the small things that can be forgotten while actually doing the Chop.

Tesore

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:58 pm   Reply with quote         

Yep!

Laughing

mike.b.

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:40 pm   Reply with quote         

Tesore wrote:
Yep!

Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing now this is more like it tesore Laughing Laughing Laughing

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - I have to ask... - Reply to topic