Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - yep.... - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Heinlein

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:05 pm   Reply with quote         

Claf wrote:
Heinlein wrote:
Claf,

I live right on the shore of Lake Ontario.

Am I close enough to be a Canadian ? Laughing

Are you taking your vacations to the other side? Raising Brow

Actually, my company has an office in Montreal.

I have been to Montreal on business, and I believe Montreal is one of the coolest cities I have visited.

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:14 pm   Reply with quote         

Heinlein wrote:
Claf wrote:
Heinlein wrote:
Claf,

I have been to Montreal on business, and I believe Montreal is one of the coolest cities I have visited.

I see I see... I'll think about it... hmmm not easy...
I have to figure now if I have to bring you a special consideration... scratch

Heinlein

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:17 pm   Reply with quote         

Claf wrote:
Heinlein wrote:
Claf wrote:
Heinlein wrote:
Claf,

Fair enough Smile

Actually, I would rather have a comment. They mean more to me than votes sometimes Wink

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:27 pm   Reply with quote         

Heinlein wrote:
Claf wrote:
Heinlein wrote:
Claf wrote:
Heinlein wrote:
Claf,

Fair enough Smile

Actually, I would rather have a comment. They mean more to me than votes sometimes Wink

Oh but now I think you're asking a lot! Some votes... and now some comments... Mad Sad Neutral Laughing

bigbuck

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:49 pm   Reply with quote         

Geez, I don't know.....

I remember it took me 5 months of daily chopping, 150 odd entries, several 2nds and 3rds, before I finally cracked a win here.

Did I get frustrated? Yep!
Did I get pissed off with the voting thing? Yep!

What I did get though, during that time, was tonnes of advice, feedback, and constructive criticism. It's this stuff that really helped me along. Advice from top choppers that I was able to put into practice.
I don't seem to see as much of that around PSC as I used to, and I think the place is suffering a little as a result of this.

Go back a couple of years and the place seemed to have a more 'educative' culture. Lots of helpful advice and constructive criticism flying around. This was helpful to all, because you picked up stuff from reading comments on others chops as much as on your own work. Hell, there was even helpful PS stuff in the forums on a regular basis instead of crap.

The voting thing is never going to be perfect. Anonymous contests don't necessarily help either. Have a look at Rey's 'palette' entry the other day. I thought it would win by 20 votes! I'm sure Rey would have thought so too. This raises a couple of questions. Are people really looking closely at the large high-res images? And moreso, do people really understand what time, effort and skill must go into these really top chops? Now Rey would probably agree with me here that the smaller version looked pretty crappy. But when I went 'large', and saw the paint residue and scratches on the palette, the illustration work on the brushes and such....I thought wow! Interstingly, I instantly picked it as Rey's (even without the current bug in the anon contests). Back to the 'educative' thing. Do people really know what they are looking at?

But in the upshot, a person's votes are there to do with as they choose. And it's subjective too. What looks like crap to me might really appeal to someone else and vice versa.

What I'd really like to see happening more around the place is for people to start taking a more critical look at chops.....and evaluating them on the basis of the PS work that goes into them. Voting for work rather than eye candy! And I'd like to see the 'big guns' a bit more active in this area. If not chopping, then adding some constructive advice. Giving people the benefit of their experience.

The site really needs it at the moment!

You can have your soapbox back Blurks.

Buck out.

NOGOODSK8RPUNK

Location: hum let me think, oh i know, if you look real hard i sometimes appear in your forum's text box

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:55 pm   Reply with quote         

look if you guys go then i agree don't come back i believe this and couldn't have said it better than Rein dude did earlier.

and w/ what brad just said i fucking raise my beer and toast to you very good heart felt speech brad.

MIKE and C-RON... look i talk to you guys on a regular base... i get along w/ and think your both great guys... so as from me being known better to the 2 of you...

my advice is look guys chill out relax take some time off or try not to get worked up ( i know thats hard as i do it too ) but in all honesty as others before me have said this is only a site and it is flawed.

so take a good long pull off your bong and sit back and enjoy yourselves. SO for fucks sake STFUAC!!!you have many things to gain from this site by staying... you have only PSC to loose if you leave. think about that one its a loose loose situation.

If mike and C-ron go can i have their votes??? i only ask because i am a whore... not a VOTE WHORE Rolling Eyes but just a whore in general

PSC is like a gang... i got beat in... if i leave... they'll beat me off!!!
Tarmac

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:09 pm   Reply with quote         

NOGOODSK8RPUNK wrote:
If mike and C-ron go can i have their votes??? i only ask because i am a whore... not a VOTE WHORE Rolling Eyes but just a whore in general

NOGOODSK8RPUNK

Location: hum let me think, oh i know, if you look real hard i sometimes appear in your forum's text box

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:28 pm   Reply with quote         

please??? i said i was a whore Laughing that in its own right desierves a vote or 2 Shocked

PSC is like a gang... i got beat in... if i leave... they'll beat me off!!!
Tarmac

Post Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:32 am   Reply with quote         

NOGOODSK8RPUNK wrote:
please??? i said i was a whore Laughing that in its own right desierves a vote or 2 Shocked

Tarmac

Post Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:44 am   Reply with quote         

Don't complain. Just work harder <-- see this video !

bigbuck

Post Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:16 am   Reply with quote         

the202
Site Moderator

Post Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:49 am   Reply with quote         

mike.b.29 wrote:
im done with this place ....im tired of people doing the vote around me shit..
you guys have a good one nice to meet you all or not

Evil or Very Mad

See ya'.

dewdew

Post Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:23 am   Reply with quote         

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing .......ooohhh god this is good..... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Voting around you....... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing ........MARCO Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing :shock:ohhh sorry Marco..... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Dude, or dude's.....i been here over a fucking year, NO wins.....no second places.....no thirds...... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing hell i believe the closest i have been to the top is 5th place......so what the fuck are you crying about. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Come on....gimme some SUGAR.....come on........HEY......wait.........i want some SUGAR damn it......... Don't make me chase you down........i mean it........get over here right now and KISS ME. Twisted Evil

Is life so bad on your end that a few VOTES on a fucking website is driving you nuts.....Man, i wish i had the good life like that. Where the most important thing in my life was PSC. Don't get me wrong.....i have the BUG just like the rest....for some reason, that i have yet to figure out.....i have to Chop. It's in my blood i think. That's not going to change, but if i win....or if i get votes is just a small....and i mean a very small part of WHY i chop. I enjoy Playing around, and goofing off. I can talk to people that have the Chopbug.....I learn some things here and there...all in all....winning is no big deal. Hell everyone that i know thinks i am wierd because i come here and chop. See i live in a small shithole of a town......where the word artistic is not even in the dictionary. So this is my chance to exchange a few ideas....listen to others ideas and surround myself with ARTISTIC FOLK. So quite CRYING like a two year old and STFU......i don't even give a shit if you chop or not.....JUST STFU........and GIMME SOME SUGAR. Twisted Evil

What i find the funniest is that some how MARCO still gets pulled into this...... Laughing Laughing Laughing POOR MARCO.....He's sorta damned if he does and damned if he don't. Laughing Laughing Laughing The one thing i can say is that he has never....or at least not in my time here.....posted a I QUIT THREAD. Bow

kinetic_be

Post Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:30 am   Reply with quote         

I'm not surprised to read this from you Mike, especially not because 2 days ago I sent you a PM regarding this kind of things.
All I can say is, don't feel ashamed to come back, because I think leaving and coming back is a stage most of us went trough at one point, if not more.
The thing is, PSC has it's flaws and errors and getting frustrated is a very normal thing here once you got sucked up into the competitive contests, but you should NEVER forget the basic reasons why you joined this place.

Myself, I've quit here twice, both times with harsh words, both times mad for the voting-system, the heavy words thrown at eachother, etc... but both times I forgot the essential part of WHY I was here.
I came here to learn in the first place. Other then that I really can enjoy putting some time in a Chop and there is nothing more satisfying then getting appreciation for something you have made out of something which let's say 40 others used aswell to show their creativity and getting a little bit of a competition out of that.

Chop for yourself mate, not for others. Chop to learn, not to show-off and Chop because you love to Chop and nothing more.
If you don't get the points you think you deserved, or others getting more points then you think they deserve, then just leave it that way.
Don't blame the author (i.e. Marcoballistic like you said) because he's getting many votes, because it's the people who choose to vote for it and if that is their decision, it shouldn't matter what their movitvation is to vote for it, it's up to them.
The best images here don't always win, but the best images don't stay far behind the top either.

To cut it short: Don't run off because of silly things like this, it's not worth it.
Just don't make the same stupid mistake I made a couple of times because the only one you are fooling in the end, is yourself.
It's the internet ffs! Smile

gravyboat

Post Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:37 am   Reply with quote         

Geez I hate contributing to these threads,....so,...fuckit, I won't. Take yer toys, leave, come back, whatever, people that DO like it here are tired of the drama.

The Closer you get to Canada the more things there are that wanna eat your horse.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - yep.... - Reply to topic