Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Tutorials - HOW TO: Back Up Your Personal PS Pref file - Reply to topic

Was this micro-ReinTUT™ of value to you?

Yup

62%

62%

[ 5 ]

Nope

12%

12%

[ 1 ]

Interesting to know, but I never personalize my PREFS

25%

25%

[ 2 ]

Total Votes: 8

ReinMan

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:33 pm   Reply with quote         

This is actually from another thread - I was responding to something TofuTheGrape was discussing. I thought it might deserve it's own thread. Sorry if I'm wrong about that! Razz Very Happy

PROBLEM:

Your Photoshop Beloved is acting WACKY. Things aren't behaving as you know they should. Buttons don't work and filters don't filter. Chances are your Preference files are FUBAR and need replacing.

BONUS PROBLEM: once you reset Photoshop to the factory CLEAN setting, ALL your personal tweaks and settings in the Preference Panel are also toast. You have to go and a) remember what the hell you had set which way b) actually go set them.

ONE SOLUTION IS:

0) Shut down PS and then start it up again while holding down Alt+Ctrl+shift while photoshop is starting up

Once you've reset your Photoshop Preferences (another way is to just go find the Pref file and physically DELETE it - same effect) here is what you should do:

1) Your new "clean" version of Photoshop will now not have any of the "custom" preferences you may have previously set (eg: brush tips, memory allocation, ruler settings, etc.). So BEFORE YOU DO ANY ACTUAL CHOPPING, go ahead and take time to set everything the way you like it. You can quickly get to the PS preferences panel by typing CMMND+K (cntrl+K for PC).

2) Once your preferences are all just the way you like it (you DID turn on the crosshair option for your brushes, didn't you? Raising Brow) you then SHUT DOWN Photoshop WITHOUT DOING ANY CHOPPING.

3a) (here is the main tricky bit) Go find your PS Preference File!

Hint: MAC

Hint: PC (this is for CS3 - other versions will be nearby this location, but you may have to hunt it down)

3b) The file is called Adobe Photoshop CS3 Prefs.psp The file you are looking at is a) pretty much a factory reset file b) has your PERSONAL prefs encoded. Right click (cntrl click) this file and resave it to the SAME FOLDER but RENAME IT Adobe Photoshop CS3 Prefs.psp-COPY.

4) that's basically it - you've got a back up of your tweaked prefs in a very clean state. What you do if your Photoshop starts acting WACKY (and it will if you are really using it like it wants to be used! Shocked) is this: a) Go back to where your PS pref file is kept, DELETE the Adobe Photoshop CS3 Prefs.psp file. b) make ANOTHER copy of the Adobe Photoshop CS3 Prefs.psp-COPY file, and rename ITS copy Adobe Photoshop CS3 Prefs.psp .

5) go start up PS - this way it will be pretty much a factory restore, but you don't have to piss around setting all your persoanl preferences again (and if you are like me, you got it tricked out something FANCY! :8 )

reindeer

TutorMe
Site Moderator

Location: Sitting in this room playing Russian roulette, finger on the trigger to my dear Juliet.

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:43 pm   Reply with quote         

Thanks Rein. This should be stickied or put in link central or something.

MindGraph

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:51 pm   Reply with quote         

yes this has been a life saver in the past for me when things crap out in good ol PS. Thanks for the descriptive tut. I'm sure you had better things to do (I really hope he had better things to do but just couldn't do them at the time and so he had some spare time and did this to fill it in until he was able to do the other things that had more meaning in his life)
Shocked

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Tutorials - HOW TO: Back Up Your Personal PS Pref file - Reply to topic