Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Arbitrary rotation of just a layer? - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:41 pm   Reply with quote         

You know the trick where you can use the ruler to line up along a horizontal or vertical line in a photo and then go to Image > Rotate Canvas > Arbitrary and it will rotate the canvas according to the the angle from the ruler?

Well is there a way to do that on just a single layer or a group of layers (but not the whole image)? Or do I have to manually put in the angle during a free transform?

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:53 pm   Reply with quote         

Because you're asking PS to rotate the entire canvas, I know of no way to apply this to only one layer. Sad

Ask Sean....

TheShaman

Post Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:02 pm   Reply with quote         

Laughing well that was helpful.

what about copying the layer, pasting in a new document, do your Arbitrary rotation, then pasting the layer back in the old document? I know its not perfect, but at least its a solution.

EDIT: OK went into PS and actually tried that...
thats a pain in the arse.

so the way I would do it is like you said.
do your Arbitrary rotation with your ruler... take the value and copy it. hit cancel.
then go Edit>Free transform and enter the value in the angle box at the top.

viola!

2 extra steps but works nicely. So yes, as far as I can tell, you have to manually do it.

but what the hell do I know I'm just a hack.

Post Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:13 pm   Reply with quote         

Just 1 layer: Edit / Transform, etc.

More layers: In the layer menu... click lock before every layer you want to rotate, than: Edit / Transform, etc. - unlock your layers by clicking again.

I hope this is what you mean... (damn English) Confused

Wink

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:07 pm   Reply with quote         

TheShaman wrote:
so the way I would do it is like you said.
do your Arbitrary rotation with your ruler... take the value and copy it. hit cancel.
then go Edit>Free transform and enter the value in the angle box at the top.

viola!

2 extra steps but works nicely. So yes, as far as I can tell, you have to manually do it.

but what the hell do I know I'm just a hack.

Yep that's what I've had to do. PITA when you're dealing with layer after layer. Maybe it's time for an action? Hmmm

BTW, if you're a hack I'm hopeless. Laughing

TheShaman

Post Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:12 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
if you're a hack I'm hopeless. Laughing

It is really nice to meet you! Wink

Post Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:58 pm   Reply with quote         

Why not just do it the regular way. copy the whole layer you want to clipboard-undo it- and paste?

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:09 pm   Reply with quote         

ScionShade wrote:
Why not just do it the regular way. copy the whole layer you want to clipboard-undo it- and paste?
Huh? You lost me there (hard to believe I know).

Granulated

Post Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:24 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
You know the trick where you can use the ruler to line up along a horizontal or vertical line in a photo and then go to Image > Rotate Canvas > Arbitrary and it will rotate the canvas according to the the angle from the ruler?

Well is there a way to do that on just a single layer or a group of layers (but not the whole image)? Or do I have to manually put in the angle during a free transform?

Im unaware of this ruler thingybob..gonna try it !

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:32 pm   Reply with quote         

ScionShade wrote:

Instead of copying to a new doc or the 2 steps Sean suggested, rotate the layer via the ruler/rotate canvas/arbitrary method, ctl.c. . .ctl. z . . .ctl. p.

Like that?

Granulated

Post Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:32 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:

ok tried it...cool feature.

After setting the rule as required you go to EDIT...TRANSFORM..ROTATE...and it will have entered the ruler angle into the angle box and you only need to press enter (or click the tick)

Post Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:41 pm   Reply with quote         

Eve wrote:
ScionShade wrote:

Instead of copying to a new doc or the 2 steps Sean suggested, rotate the layer via the ruler/rotate canvas/arbitrary method, ctl.c. . .ctl. z . . .ctl. p.

Like that?
i always turn my screen Laughing Laughing

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:53 pm   Reply with quote         

Granulated wrote:
TofuTheGreat wrote:

After setting the rule as required you go to EDIT...TRANSFORM..ROTATE...and it will have entered the ruler angle into the angle box and you only need to press enter (or click the tick)
Doh! I almost never go to the edit/transform menu. I alwasy CTRL-T to free transform and rotate by hand.

Thanks Andy!

dewdew

Post Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:01 pm   Reply with quote         

Create a new layer....turn your little eyeballs on the layers you want....hold down Alt or option....and goto merge visible. It creates a layer of everthing visible for you to do your ruler thingee to, and leaves the originals intact. Just incase you screw it up. Cool

Granulated

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:27 am   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
Granulated wrote:
TofuTheGreat wrote:

Doh! I almost never go to the edit/transform menu. I alwasy CTRL-T to free transform and rotate by hand.

Thanks Andy!

no worries Smile

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Arbitrary rotation of just a layer? - Reply to topic