Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Do you know a way to arch a line of text.... - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

priskaj

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:20 am   Reply with quote         

...once it's rasterized ????

I need to fiddle with the font so I have to rasterize the text.
But then I need to place it on a circle (well, part of a circle, like half)
And I just can't do it.

If I start by making the curve while it's still text, it goes all wrong once I have worked with the letters.... Rolling Eyes So is there an other way ?

If you've managed to answer question #1, you may go to question #2

Question 2 Say I have my text on a circle, how can I move it while keeping it on the circle... Rotate does not do it (well, not the way I use it), so is there a way ?

If you have understood question #2 CONGRATULATIONS Laughing had problems asking it... What I'm trying to say is I want my text to rotate around the circle so that I can place it as I wish... I agree, it does make more sense like that... Smile

TY

TofuTheGreat

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:16 pm   Reply with quote         

Once it's rasterized you'd have to use warp, liquify or spherize I would think? Confused

splodge

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:17 pm   Reply with quote         

crap. i have a tutorial on this subject, text on a path, but my site was down when i checked,
http://www.bluetorials.com/free%20stuff/ps_tuts.html

Hallcross Toots
dewdew

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:24 pm   Reply with quote         

Rules should be changed to 1 chop before posting in a forum....True: it's a learning site,... but it's CHOP site too.

Quote:
once it's rasterized ????
...........YOUR F**CKED!!...unless you have the skill to make it a brush and follw a path. Raising Brow

Question 2. How do i make text go "round and round" inside a given circle.
Answer... :movetools: ...and it works on RASTERIZED text. thumleft

priskaj

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:27 pm   Reply with quote         

Text on a path Smile There is a belligerent sound to it, no ?
Sad But the site is still down, even though I tried taking away the %20 which does not look like it should be in the link.....

TofuTG, warp, liquify or spherize act on the individual letters, but not on the line of text as a whole....

Sooo I just have to reach this tutorial....

And what about QUESTION #2 ????? Wink

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:57 pm   Reply with quote         

priskaj wrote:
Do you know a way to arch a line of text.......once it's rasterized ????

I need to fiddle with the font so I have to rasterize the text.
But then I need to place it on a circle (well, part of a circle, like half)
And I just can't do it.

If I start by making the curve while it's still text, it goes all wrong once I have worked with the letters.... Rolling Eyes So is there an other way ?
Place the text on the path first, rasterize and fiddle after that. What kind of fiddling are we talking about?

Create a path first, click the text tool button and place the cursor over the path. The cursor will change shape slightly, click and type. As far as I know, in PS you can't convert an existing text to 'text-on-path'.

priskaj wrote:
If you've managed to answer question #1, you may go to question #2

Question 2 Say I have my text on a circle, how can I move it while keeping it on the circle... Rotate does not do it (well, not the way I use it), so is there a way ?

If you have understood question #2 CONGRATULATIONS Laughing had problems asking it... What I'm trying to say is I want my text to rotate around the circle so that I can place it as I wish... I agree, it does make more sense like that... Smile
The text placed on the path has 2 'grips' for control - start (small 'x') and end (small circle). A centered text also has a small diamond grip in the middle. To control the text position on the path use the Path Selection Tool (black pointer arrow) and hover above the text near the grip points. The cursor will change to look like a 'text edit' tool with a black arrow (2 arrows if hovering near diamond grip of a centered text) - drag the grip points to move the text along the path.

Text alignment (Left, Right, Centered) is in the Paragraph palette. Font (character) adjustments also work (font size, style, kerning, distance from the base line, etc.)

All said, it might be better to create the text in a vector program (Illustrator, CorelDraw) and place it in Photoshop.

priskaj

Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:56 am   Reply with quote         

Hi !
Very Happy Things are looking brighter though I don't have it all Very Happy
Splodge, THANKS ! I used the root URL and found the tutorial about text on a path... and I see that it's not even too complicated for me !!! Very Happy
I'll play with it and see if I can keep it all on the path once it's rasterized... because I have to fiddle with it Wink

Vokaris the fiddling I'm talking about, in this particular case is bunching letters together on part of my text and elongating an other part...

I have this on a circle: The dog, the narrow passage and the long stick.

For "narrow passage" I need to bunch the letters together, they partly cover one another... you get the picture ?
And the problem is keeping them on the arc.

For "long stick" I want the text elongated and that's simpler.

Then I would like my text to glide along the arc so that I can place it as I wish Smile Only it won't be text anymore by then.... Confused

Now about PATHS I know nothin' Rolling Eyes
So I'm after some tutorials like
- My first Tottering Steps On a Path
or
- Easy Paths Mapping For Dummies.
If you know of any such....
TY

Granulated

Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:07 am   Reply with quote         

Hi... I did a screen capture video that might help a bit.

For some weird reason parts of the palettes on the right didnt capture but you should still be able to work out what's going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3lKBGwskqc&fmt=18

priskaj

Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:11 am   Reply with quote         

Super ! Thanks Granulated !
I managed to reproduce what you showed which makes you a super-teacher ! Very Happy
So now I can play with text Smile Smile Smile Very Happy

Now... about my rasterized text... Here's my dream: I select it and have a function "clip to path".... Very Happy Very Happy
No ??? Sad

yello_piggy

Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:18 am   Reply with quote         

I love Aquitaine beaucoup! Very Happy the land of the water!

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:14 pm   Reply with quote         

priskaj wrote:
Super ! Thanks Granulated !
I managed to reproduce what you showed which makes you a super-teacher ! Very Happy
So now I can play with text Smile Smile Smile Very Happy

Now... about my rasterized text... Here's my dream: I select it and have a function "clip to path".... Very Happy Very Happy
No ??? Sad
Don't rasterize your text. If all you are doing is playing with fonts and distance between letters, use the text tool to select parts of the text and the character palette

Leading = distance between lines of text (not applicable for text on path)
Tracking = distance between selected characters
Baseline shift = distance from the base line (or in this case, the path)

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:49 pm   Reply with quote         

priskaj wrote:
... Here's my dream: I select it and have a function "clip to path".... Very Happy Very Happy
No ??? Sad
CorelDraw has this feature - select both the text and the curve and use 'Fit text to curve' (or alternatively drag the text onto a curve and the 'text-to-curve' feature kicks in.)

In Photoshop and Illustrator you need to draw the path first, and type (or paste) the text on top of the path (it makes a different 'Type-on-a-path' object, not to be confused with Point Type or Area Type)

priskaj

Post Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:32 pm   Reply with quote         

Embarassed Oooh my....
Thanks vokaris.... ahem... I had never opened this window.... Embarassed
You're all super ! I learn so much here... now I know how little I know Very Happy
Thanks !
piggy (forgot the color) Aquitaine is indeed a land of water but... don't forget the wines !!!! Very Happy
Cool

priskaj

Post Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:46 pm   Reply with quote         

Confused Confused Why don't I seem to be able to get the tracking active ??? Confused Confused

Rolling Eyes Should try longer before coming crying here.... Rolling Eyes

OK... tracking works with my boring fonts... not with the fancy-funny ones Crying or Very sad it seems...

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:26 pm   Reply with quote         

priskaj wrote:
Confused Confused Why don't I seem to be able to get the tracking active ??? Confused Confused

Rolling Eyes Should try longer before coming crying here.... Rolling Eyes

OK... tracking works with my boring fonts... not with the fancy-funny ones Crying or Very sad it seems...
It should work with any font - what are the fancy-funny ones that give you trouble?

1. keep the Character Palette open (Window - Character)
2. select the text layer - changes in the Character Palette apply to the whole text
3. use the Text tool (T) to highlight letters or words - changes in the Character Palette apply to the selected text only.

And, just for troubleshooting, Mac or Windows, and what version of Photoshop?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Do you know a way to arch a line of text.... - Reply to topic