Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - What'd I Do Wrong? - Reply to topic

Post Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:47 pm   Reply with quote         

Hello everyone! My most recent submission in the contests (it was for the Brick House contest) did not get nearly as many votes as I had hoped. What did I do wrong? Since I haven't made 5 posts yet, I can't post the picture here, but it should be the most recent entry in my portfolio. Any advice would be much appreciated!

splodge

Post Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:57 pm   Reply with quote         

you posted late and used very little of the original? you've not been around long enough to get the buddy votes? you did not use any tit and arse in your post?
looks like a good chop to me

Hallcross Toots
NOGOODSK8RPUNK

Location: hum let me think, oh i know, if you look real hard i sometimes appear in your forum's text box

Post Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:55 pm   Reply with quote         

drknotter wrote:
Hello everyone! My most recent submission in the contests (it was for the Brick House contest) did not get nearly as many votes as I had hoped. What did I do wrong? Since I haven't made 5 posts yet, I can't post the picture here, but it should be the most recent entry in my portfolio. Any advice would be much appreciated!
here is his link sinse he can't post them yet: http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/145317/display.html

i think you did a good job and left you a comment about it on the entry Wink

PSC is like a gang... i got beat in... if i leave... they'll beat me off!!!

Post Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:44 pm   Reply with quote         

drknotter wrote:
i put my comment there, dont worry you make good works, keep up the good work and enjoy it

mellowdesign

Post Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:47 pm   Reply with quote         

drknotter wrote:

I like your post - but I guess you posted late and I missed it first time. If you become an Advantage member you can post earlier which can make a difference...tho I agree it is a shame for late, good, chops like yours...chin up! Very Happy

pakimo

Post Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:09 pm   Reply with quote         

Recipe to get many votes:

- Post early (Advantage recommended).
- Leave many positive feedbackvotes. (Very important).
- Don't make things too complicated. Simple clean stuff does better.
- Make robots, bugs and airplanes. (They almost instantly fly to the top). And lighning, flames, rain and other natural phenomenas. And metal.
- Don't get too "arty".
- There are sertain type of chop-styles that people like (or have been learned to like) better than other. (Look in the galleries).
- Don't make another chopper upset. They will hate you forever. Laughing
- Be very very friendly.
- Winning takes time....build your reputation.
- And kiss some asses.
- I do reccomend you enjoy yourself and have fun before expecting too many votes.
- And last: Is the votes most important to you? Or is it to become better.

Enjoy yourself and welcome. Wink

Post Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:52 pm   Reply with quote         

Thanks for the comments guys. In general, I'm not worried about how many votes I get, but the cases where I think I should have gotten a bit more votes than I received makes me think that something was glaringly wrong with my entry. Anyways, thanks for putting my worries to rest! I guess I'll just try to post as early as I can next time.

seelcraft

Post Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:33 pm   Reply with quote         

Also, if you become Advantaged, you can post bigger pics. I couldn't tell if you made the logs by recolorizing the bricks and adding a horizontal motion blur or actually created logs. (Either way, I voted for it.) But a bigger pic would probably pull in more votes.

Seelcraft

Post Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:39 pm   Reply with quote         

Quote:
seelcraft
Post Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:33 pm

Also, if you become Advantaged, you can post bigger pics. I couldn't tell if you made the logs by recolorizing the bricks and adding a horizontal motion blur or actually created logs. (Either way, I voted for it.) But a bigger pic would probably pull in more votes.

Seelcraft

Hm, yeah, I didn't even think about that. If you're still curious, I actually took some logs off of another picture of a log house and put them on top of the brick. I couldn't post at the maximum size this time since jpeg compression wasn't working well on the forest scene.

bigbuck

Post Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:51 pm   Reply with quote         

I don't think you did much wrong at all....aprt from posting pretty late. As mentioned, posting larger would have helped.

dewdew

Post Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:21 pm   Reply with quote         

It's all wrong....wrong ...WRONG. The goverment, the gas, the bailout, the votes, the entries, the lateness, the not looking at late ones, the comments, The whole forum, the memebers, the advantaged, all the noobies.....EVERYTHING.....it's ALL WRONG.

Actually i just wanted to check out my new AVI... Twisted Evil

YOUR entry looks fine by the way. Very Happy

MindGraph

Post Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:26 am   Reply with quote         

I had a similar situation a while back when I first joined this site with this entry.
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/82284/display.html
Also submitted this entry in the same contest and it did alot better basically because it got in a day earlier than the above one and I showed more source in it.
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/82222/votes.html
Bottom line on it was that I covered up too much of the source and I put too much time into it and got it in very late. Yours looks great but as splodge mentioned showing more source is always good plus getting it in early makes alot of difference. I simply didn't vote for it because I haven't had much time to spend around here lately but you did a great job. Wink

JORDAN792

Post Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:01 pm   Reply with quote         

I think the same thing... Advantage definitely helps although if you look at my most recent entry I also believe it was undervoted and I have advantage, but I'm also the only one that "really" knows how much went into it. I've realized that the "buddy votes" as someone mentioned earlier play a big part on this site too so you just have to be patient and know that some of you best work WILL go unnoticed. But like I commented on your entry, It was very good but late, and by late I mean not pre posted. If it's not pre posted it will usually linger in the second and third pages. But all in all your work is great and will be better in time.

JORDAN792

Post Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:39 pm   Reply with quote         

dewdew wrote:
It's all wrong....wrong ...WRONG. The goverment, the gas, the bailout, the votes, the entries, the lateness, the not looking at late ones, the comments, The whole forum, the memebers, the advantaged, all the noobies.....EVERYTHING.....it's ALL WRONG.

Actually i just wanted to check out my new AVI... Twisted Evil

YOUR entry looks fine by the way. Very Happy
Laughing Laughing Laughing by the way Laughing Laughing

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - What'd I Do Wrong? - Reply to topic