Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Drive trouble - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Mir

Post Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:19 am   Reply with quote         

HI wanted to ask the experts for some advise. I have an external mini drive, something similar tohttp://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/sabrent-3.5-usb-2.0-to-sata-sata-ii-external-aluminum-hard-drive-enclosure--silver

I have hundreds of photos stored on. The last time I used it I added a large number of new images and now I am having trouble opening it on my computer. I am sure I did not overload it because I checked before I added the new images.

Can anyone tell if it is possible to retrieve these images in any way. I don't mind bringing in an expert to do it for me if I knew it could be done. Can anyone give me any suggestions please? Sad scratch
TofuTheGreat

Post Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:12 am   Reply with quote         

Having the drive full wouldn't keep it from showing up. Are you running Windows or OSX?

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:22 am   Reply with quote         

What kind of trouble are you having exactly? What OS? Is it making any strange noises or clicks (this would be bad)?

Do you have a network with mapped drives? If 'yes' it may be just a matter of assigning a different letter to the USB drive using Disk Management

Some suggestions to get you started:
1. Try connecting to a different USB port
2. Try it on a different computer
3. Open the enclosure and check for loose cables
4. Remove the HD and try it in a different USB enslosure
5. Shut down your PC and connect the HD to your motherboard to retrieve the photos

seamusoisin

Post Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:00 am   Reply with quote         

If it made the funny noises well your drive is toast. There are companies that retrieve/repair and won't charge you unless they retrieve the data. Google and you'll find in your area.

http://burlingtonscwt.wordpress.com/

Be my assbook friend
supak0ma

Post Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:03 pm   Reply with quote         

have you tried waiting for a long time?

Mir

Post Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:28 pm   Reply with quote         

vokaris wrote:
What kind of trouble are you having exactly? What OS? Is it making any strange noises or clicks (this would be bad)?

Do you have a network with mapped drives? If 'yes' it may be just a matter of assigning a different letter to the USB drive using Disk Management

Some suggestions to get you started:
1. Try connecting to a different USB port
2. Try it on a different computer
3. Open the enclosure and check for loose cables
4. Remove the HD and try it in a different USB enslosure
5. Shut down your PC and connect the HD to your motherboard to retrieve the photos

Tried the first 3 no luck, the other two I will need to get someone to do for me. I'm not that good with the technical side of the computer. As long as I know something can be done and I will not be wasting my money to bring in the technician.
Thanks vokaris for your help
Mir

Post Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:30 pm   Reply with quote         

seamusoisin wrote:
If it made the funny noises well your drive is toast. There are companies that retrieve/repair and won't charge you unless they retrieve the data. Google and you'll find in your area.

The noise it makes is as if its trying to get started but never does. Thanks for the help. I will try and get help.
Mir

Post Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:31 pm   Reply with quote         

supak0ma wrote:
have you tried waiting for a long time?

That, believe me I've done.
Mir

Post Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:31 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
Having the drive full wouldn't keep it from showing up. Are you running Windows or OSX?

I'm running windows XP
vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:43 pm   Reply with quote         

Sounds like a hard drive problem. Try freezing it, it never worked for me, but you never know

http://geeksaresexy.blogspot.com/2006/01/freeze-your-hard-drive-to-recover-data.html

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:56 pm   Reply with quote         

but then again, maybe you shouldn't freeze it

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/245/1

TofuTheGreat

Post Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:27 pm   Reply with quote         

vokaris wrote:
Sounds like a hard drive problem. Try freezing it, it never worked for me, but you never know

http://geeksaresexy.blogspot.com/2006/01/freeze-your-hard-drive-to-recover-data.html

The freezing trick worked for my dad a few years ago. He was able to get it to work enough times to get most of his data off (around 90%) before the drive failed for the last time. The difference is his wasn't in an enclosure. I'd take the drive out of the enclosure and try a different eSATA connector. My WD Passport drive failed because the SATA-to-USB converter card died. I used a USB drive adapter and got everything off it. Drive actually works fine still.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=3770

Luxwiz

Post Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:22 pm   Reply with quote         

It may be an electrical problem with the casing.Have you taken the hard disc out of the casing and conected it directly to a free slot on your pc.I had this type of problem with an ext. hard disc (also filled with literally thousands of photos) and the problem, ended up being the casing not the drive itself.I simply replaced the casing and had access again...whew what a relief that was.
Good luck mir.

ScionShade

Post Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:29 pm   Reply with quote         

Did you uninstall and reinstall the drivers?
Did you try opening it with windows explorer?
Did you take the drive out of it's case and check to see if its SATA or IDE, and then
check to see if you have a corresponding slot free inside your tower? *Nice call Lux*
DID YOU TURN OFF INDEXING??? which I should have stated first and am willing to bet a few dollars will do the trick.
Also shut off everything that's not needed to run, clean up your start up, run crapcleaner, and make room in your buffer...
for the few dollars it will cost, go get some extra ram while yer at it.
If it's still a bad drive after that take a shot at copying it onto your HD with Norton Ghost. That one worked for me
on what is otherwise a dead drive- the drive is done, but all the
files were saved.
I dont like 'burning' so I keep five drives, and everything important to me is on at least two of them. Some stuff is on three. Jamming old drives into your tower is a worthwhile effort.

Mir

Post Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:30 pm   Reply with quote         

I have 4 drives as well but was keeping the photos on the external drive so as not to cram the other drives because I have a lot of work related to my books on them. I don't like burning either. It's impossible to burn everything on disc all the time. Thanks for your suggestions Scion I will try and filter through all the information every one has given me and try and find a solution. I will let you know what happens.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Drive trouble - Reply to topic