Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Mac & Photoshop Questions - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

NOGOODSK8RPUNK

Location: hum let me think, oh i know, if you look real hard i sometimes appear in your forum's text box

Post Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:09 am   Reply with quote         

hey guys and gals,

its matt. i have some questions if you have the time... about a mac and the highest version of photoshop i can install on to it.

1. the mac is a: Imac power pc g4 (2004?) model powermac6,3
1.25ghz with 768 mb ddr sdram

2. what is the highest version of photoshop that will run on this computer?

3. does anyone have the higest version of photoshop able to run on the mac that they are willing to sell to my mother/me?

4. if so please tell me how much you are willing to sell it for.. or can you please direct me to links etc that i can make this all happen.

the reason i am asking is its my mom's mac she wants to go into business making holiday E-card style things and has asked upon me to take on the task/teach her photoshop and animation etc.

any info that can be provided would be wonderful Confused

thanks for your time in advance Wink

-matt-

PSC is like a gang... i got beat in... if i leave... they'll beat me off!!!
YerPalAl

Post Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:01 am   Reply with quote         

Matt, what version of the OS are you running?

sage

Post Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:53 am   Reply with quote         

Yeah...mypal's right. The version of PS you could install depends on the OS your running. Look under the APPLE icon on the menu bar and choose "About This Mac." It'll tell you the version you're running.

NOGOODSK8RPUNK

Location: hum let me think, oh i know, if you look real hard i sometimes appear in your forum's text box

Post Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:17 pm   Reply with quote         

sorry about that it is tiger version 10.4.11 i hope that helps Embarassed
-m-

YerPalAl

Post Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:50 pm   Reply with quote         

I believe you need to upgrade to the Leopard to run CS4, but CS3 or 2 will run on that just fine. I would also suggest bumping up the RAM, especially since its cheap these days. I'd punch it up to at least 1 gig, 2 would be better.

Going up to Leopard would be a great thing if for no other reason than Time MAchine, that is worth the trip.

Smile

NOGOODSK8RPUNK

Post Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:58 pm   Reply with quote         

YerPalAl wrote:
I believe you need to upgrade to the Leopard to run CS4, but CS3 or 2 will run on that just fine. I would also suggest bumping up the RAM, especially since its cheap these days. I'd punch it up to at least 1 gig, 2 would be better.

Going up to Leopard would be a great thing if for no other reason than Time MAchine, that is worth the trip.

Smile
hey thanks brotha for the info Very Happy

i have regular cs on my mac at home but was looking for something better/more advanced.

so my next question is does anyone have cs2 or cs3 that they are willing to sell to my mother/me for a good cheap price? if so i'd defiantly be interested in that. please let me know by posting here in this thread or by pm ing me if you do have a version for sale. thanks Wink
-matt-

cafn8d

Post Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:05 pm   Reply with quote         

Before you pay good money for software you might not be able to get to work... As of at least CS2 (and possibly earlier), Adobe's security really tries to prevent a registration code from being used more than once. Even perfectly legitimate purposes, like upgrading to a new computer, may mean having to contact Adobe, send in your original proof of purchase for the software, and have them send you a NEW registration code. The software contacts Adobe automatically and is not usable (beyond the trial period) without registering it. Adobe also contacts your copy of the software on a regular basis to install "updates." Adobe may be able to help you re-register an older product, as long as the software is being UNinstalled from the original owner's machine... At any rate, you'll need to be sure you know how to get your used copy of the software to work before you shell out any money for it. (Yes, someone somewhere probably figured out some kind of work-around, but I don't know who or what that would be...) Buyer beware and good luck!

NOGOODSK8RPUNK

Post Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:48 pm   Reply with quote         

cafn8d wrote:
Before you pay good money for software you might not be able to get to work... As of at least CS2 (and possibly earlier), Adobe's security really tries to prevent a registration code from being used more than once. Even perfectly legitimate purposes, like upgrading to a new computer, may mean having to contact Adobe, send in your original proof of purchase for the software, and have them send you a NEW registration code. The software contacts Adobe automatically and is not usable (beyond the trial period) without registering it. Adobe also contacts your copy of the software on a regular basis to install "updates." Adobe may be able to help you re-register an older product, as long as the software is being UNinstalled from the original owner's machine... At any rate, you'll need to be sure you know how to get your used copy of the software to work before you shell out any money for it. (Yes, someone somewhere probably figured out some kind of work-around, but I don't know who or what that would be...) Buyer beware and good luck!
thanks caf for the advice... was looking online and found some copys for around 169-300 dollar range from 6 different stores but most were used copies. so this info is good to know. anyone else have thoughts ideas etc?

ps sorry to be a pain in the ass but i told my mom i'd try my best to figure this all out for her Wink
-m-

splodge

Post Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:08 pm   Reply with quote         

buy a top of the range PC, piss all over mac crap

Hallcross Toots
TJ

Post Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:08 pm   Reply with quote         

splodge wrote:

Take it.... you have a PS Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

YerPalAl

Post Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:12 pm   Reply with quote         

And its always the Mac owners that are branded with "attitude" accusations. lol Laughing

MindGraph

Post Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:31 am   Reply with quote         

splodge wrote:

dis guy.....eezzzzz soooo funny!

only problem....the piss will have viruses in it.

NOGOODSK8RPUNK

Post Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:40 am   Reply with quote         

Laughing A.D.D.

thanks for the help everyone Wink
-m-

Post Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:12 am   Reply with quote         

I had an old iMac and it ran photoshop 7 nicely... man I miss that mac

cafn8d

Post Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:40 am   Reply with quote         

NOGOODSK8RPUNK wrote:
cafn8d wrote:
... Buyer beware and good luck!
thanks caf for the advice... was looking online and found some copys for around 169-300 dollar range from 6 different stores but most were used copies. so this info is good to know. anyone else have thoughts ideas etc?
-m-

If the used copy comes with the original box with the UPC code (Proof of Purchase), then I think you can (eventually) make it work. If the registration code that comes with it does not work, you have the PoP if Adobe asks for it.

Other thoughts: If these "stores" are legitimate, they should have cleared any issues up with Adobe in the first place. Ask about or check return policies, guaranties, etc. And there's no reason why you couldn't contact Adobe ahead of time and ask about used software from what you think is a legitimate store. If the "store" is some guy living in his mother's basement, then all bets are off. Are there any customer ratings of the "store"? Google the name of the store separately and see what comes up.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Mac & Photoshop Questions - Reply to topic