Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Claf: my work in 2008. - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Tesore

Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:47 am   Reply with quote         

Wohhh awesome!!!
Very Happy

ReyRey

Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:41 am   Reply with quote         

Claf wrote:
ReyRey wrote:
Claf, are you the concept guy? Is it you that comes up with these ideas or are you dealing with the same graphic artist and or photographer, because they all have a similar feel to them. I love the dark humor feel that they all have.

Hi ReyRey! Very Happy
No, I'm not the concept guy. All the images I showed this time on this thread is from the same photographer, Alain Desjean, but with different art directors from different agencies. The creative side of the work is always mostly or totally from those art directors. But sometimes it happens that some details aren't totally fixed and some decisions are taken still at the photo shooting, and also still at the end when I work on it... so sometimes I can partially be part of the creative process.

For the personal project, the photographer found the concept and I brought some visual ideas like making the main character weirder, changing skies & atmosphere. But I would like in a near future to find my own concepts & using his talent for other personal projects.

Close-ups slide show of the main character... click thumbnail...

ReyRey wrote:
I wish I was hooked up with an agency that got cool work like that. Most of the stuff I do is straight out illustration of something. Never a complete story and when it is a full blown image, it is never exciting or intriguing. Usually I'm doing food shots or product illustration.

Hey! Don't believe that every jobs I work on are all very creative and that every final work are amazing. I'm doing also a lot of simple clean-up and easy adjustments for fashion or TV program posters by example. But I always work on very aesthetic pictures. And yes, I feel very lucky to work with some of the best local photographers who work on great projects.

ReyRey wrote:
I'm the guy that makes the food look incredible and then when you go to the restaurant, the food looks nothing like the ad. Usually you have to open the bread to see if there is anything in it, yet the images that I work on has food bulging out of the bread.Laughing Laughing
http://josepino.com/real_meal/?subwy_chsstk
I actually did the original sub

Yeah! When I was doing traditional illustrations, I also worked on projects that they asked me to make the product gorgeous when anybody a little bit conscious knew that this product is everything but not gorgeous. Laughing

ReyRey wrote:
Do you work for an agency?

I mostly work with 3 photographers. Sometimes but enough rarely, I work directly from advertising agencies. And I just started this year to work with an agent who represents 3 photographers.

Thanks RR! Smile

It sounds like you and I work exactly the same except you have cooler projects. I work inside the ad agencies and I have been there so long they just give me shots of food and say what do you think we should do? That is the nice part. Work here in the U.S. has dried up lately. I've been begging for work. Nobody is spending money anymore. I'm giving estimates, the same estimates I've been giving for years, but now they are balking at the price. Even the freelance stuff that I do has slowed down a lot. My company (a huge company) claimed bankruptcy.
I've said goodbye to many people that had worked for the company for many years. It's sad and scary out there.

blue_lurker

Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:42 am   Reply with quote         

All I bloody get is flyers, business cards and photo repair work, but then Im crap at this PS stuff Smile

annajon

Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:10 pm   Reply with quote         

Crazy cool stuff, with great details, I love what you did to the little car under the side board.... and the little naked foot under the lovely dress.

Mir

Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:21 pm   Reply with quote         

Wonderful work, wonderful details, this is what all photoshop users aspire for. Well done mate, always a pleasure to view your work. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
L@rue

Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:30 pm   Reply with quote         

Great works Brother Claf ''I love it''

cherylm329

Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:07 pm   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:
Claf wrote:
ReyRey wrote:
Claf, are you the concept guy? Is it you that comes up with these ideas or are you dealing with the same graphic artist and or photographer, because they all have a similar feel to them. I love the dark humor feel that they all have.

Hi ReyRey! Very Happy
No, I'm not the concept guy. All the images I showed this time on this thread is from the same photographer, Alain Desjean, but with different art directors from different agencies. The creative side of the work is always mostly or totally from those art directors. But sometimes it happens that some details aren't totally fixed and some decisions are taken still at the photo shooting, and also still at the end when I work on it... so sometimes I can partially be part of the creative process.

For the personal project, the photographer found the concept and I brought some visual ideas like making the main character weirder, changing skies & atmosphere. But I would like in a near future to find my own concepts & using his talent for other personal projects.

ReyRey wrote:
I wish I was hooked up with an agency that got cool work like that. Most of the stuff I do is straight out illustration of something. Never a complete story and when it is a full blown image, it is never exciting or intriguing. Usually I'm doing food shots or product illustration.

Hey! Don't believe that every jobs I work on are all very creative and that every final work are amazing. I'm doing also a lot of simple clean-up and easy adjustments for fashion or TV program posters by example. But I always work on very aesthetic pictures. And yes, I feel very lucky to work with some of the best local photographers who work on great projects.

ReyRey wrote:
I'm the guy that makes the food look incredible and then when you go to the restaurant, the food looks nothing like the ad. Usually you have to open the bread to see if there is anything in it, yet the images that I work on has food bulging out of the bread.Laughing Laughing

Yeah! When I was doing traditional illustrations, I also worked on projects that they asked me to make the product gorgeous when anybody a little bit conscious knew that this product is everything but not gorgeous. Laughing

ReyRey wrote:

I mostly work with 3 photographers. Sometimes but enough rarely, I work directly from advertising agencies. And I just started this year to work with an agent who represents 3 photographers.

Thanks RR! Smile

It sounds like you and I work exactly the same except you have cooler projects. I work inside the ad agencies and I have been there so long they just give me shots of food and say what do you think we should do? That is the nice part. Work here in the U.S. has dried up lately. I've been begging for work. Nobody is spending money anymore. I'm giving estimates, the same estimates I've been giving for years, but now they are balking at the price. Even the freelance stuff that I do has slowed down a lot. My company (a huge company) claimed bankruptcy.
I've said goodbye to many people that had worked for the company for many years. It's sad and scary out there.

You should check out craigslist Smile That is where I have been getting a lot of my work from. I just posted my website link on there and sometimes I respond to postings that are looking for designers. Anything is better than nothing, in my opinion. Smile

ReyRey

Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:41 pm   Reply with quote         

cherylm329 wrote:
ReyRey wrote:
Claf wrote:
ReyRey wrote:

Hi ReyRey! Very Happy

ReyRey wrote:

ReyRey wrote:

ReyRey wrote:

Thanks RR! Smile

You should check out craigslist Smile That is where I have been getting a lot of my work from. I just posted my website link on there and sometimes I respond to postings that are looking for designers. Anything is better than nothing, in my opinion. Smile

Thanks Cheryl,
I have a full-time job right now doing this. I get paid by the hour weather there is work or not. I'm just wondering how long that will last. Confused Confused

Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:11 pm   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:
cherylm329 wrote:
ReyRey wrote:

Thanks Cheryl,
I have a full-time job right now doing this. I get paid by the hour weather there is work or not. I'm just wondering how long that will last. Confused Confused

RR, I don't know if it's different in the US but it's maybe also getting harder & harder for illustrators.
Originally I stopped drawing illustrations because there's was mostly no needs about commercial realistic illustration anymore. Since 2003 I wasn't able to earn my living with it. In fact, I'm still having 1 or 2 illustration contracts per year... from my very very old clients who still doesn't understand that I'm a photo-manipulation-artist for the last few years.
Laughing
Maybe you can pay more attention to use your great talent for photo manipulation & retouching. Maybe it can keep you more busy...?
Smile

ReyRey

Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:27 pm   Reply with quote         

Claf wrote:
ReyRey wrote:
cherylm329 wrote:
ReyRey wrote:

Thanks Cheryl,

RR, I don't know if it's different in the US but it's maybe also getting harder & harder for illustrators.
Originally I stopped drawing illustrations because there's was mostly no needs about commercial realistic illustration anymore. Since 2003 I wasn't able to earn my living with it. In fact, I'm still having 1 or 2 illustration contracts per year... from my very very old clients who still doesn't understand that I'm a photo-manipulation-artist for the last few years.
Laughing
Maybe you can pay more attention to use your great talent for photo manipulation & retouching. Maybe it can keep you more busy...?
Smile

That is exactly what I am doing. My full time job is mostly photo manip and retouching. All my freelance is illustration. It's just slow all around. Thanks though.

ReinMan

Post Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:12 am   Reply with quote         

Yikes! As you know, I worship at your temple, Mr. Clafrance! Bow

Listening to you and ReyRey fills me with hope/anxiety/hideous jealousy/a funny itchy feeling near my crotch.

2009 is the year I go after the ad agencies in Vancouver area. There apparently are very very few "photo artists" out here. And since I am also a photographer I may just become a secret weapon when budgets dry up. I'll just need to learn some Photoshop first, then I'll be all set. Wink

As always, my francoBro, you inspire me. Thanks for that! reindeer

P.S. the MooseTofuWhatever Creature is AWESOME!!!! Cool

Post Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:09 pm   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:
That is exactly what I am doing. My full time job is mostly photo manip and retouching. All my freelance is illustration. It's just slow all around. Thanks though.

Surprised Oups! Sorry! I thought you said you were mostly doing illustrations. Embarassed

I don't know if your full time job can affect in a certain way your freelance production.
I don't know what can be the best for you.

In my case if I wasn't full time freelance, I was surely not able to have the contracts I had.
I need to be entirely available for the photographers I work with. I just ask them to not disturb me in the week-ends... but it doesn't work all the time.

Several times, I was contacted and asked if I wanted to work full time in different companies or agencies.
But I preferred staying freelance whatever if I doubted if I'm taking the right decision. I thought I can be more selective about the contracts I want to work on, but on the other side I was a little bit afraid of working less.
Today I know I took the right decision.

But nothing is safe, I don't know what's gonna happen... we heard enough about the economical crisis... we'll never know to which point it can have an impact. We just have to hope for the best.
Smile

Post Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:18 pm   Reply with quote         

Thanks ReinMoose! ... and thanks everybody!! Very Happy

FootFungas

Post Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:51 am   Reply with quote         

Wow. Great work.
Looking at the differences between the two images in PS is an excellent study in photomanipulation. Just the little added details that really help make the details. Just amazing.
Keep it up!

Post Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:21 pm   Reply with quote         

Cool work Claude!
Wouldn't expect any less!
Really like the pic with the guy holding 2 hoses.
With with the sunbeams in the background makes it look grand!
But all others are also topnotch! Good to know that working close with photograpers is paying off! Gonna look in to that Wink
CHRSS!
T

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Claf: my work in 2008. - Reply to topic