Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Actions & PDFs - Reply to topic

TofuTheGreat

Post Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:33 pm   Reply with quote         

Hey.

I need to automate the processing of a bunch of PDF files to run them out to PSDs with a logo layer.

Using CS3 I recorded an action where I opened the PDF (leaving default options), imported the logo layer, save as PSD, close file.

But when I try to use automate -> batch it's not working. The automation keeps saving as the same file name each time. Any clue what I'm doing wrong? Confused

Christopher

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:28 pm   Reply with quote         

The action records the name of the file you "saved as". To process multiple files turn ON the "Override action Save As command" setting in the Batch window.

TofuTheGreat

Post Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:36 pm   Reply with quote         

Then it prompts me for a name and location for every file. I've got to process a couple hundred files so that's a bit of a PITA. Confused

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:47 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
Then it prompts me for a name and location for every file. I've got to process a couple hundred files so that's a bit of a PITA. Confused
You need to have a 'Save as..." command at the end of the action you are processing with.

In your case - delete the 'Close' command and add a 'Save as'

TofuTheGreat

Post Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:17 pm   Reply with quote         

You know.... I can see the benefit of actions.... BUT THEY'RE EFFING ANNOYING TO SETUP! Mad

I can now get the action to process each file in the folder. BUT now it saves each one as the same file name (overwriting the original file).

I should just do each fucking image manually. Mad

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:26 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
You know.... I can see the benefit of actions.... BUT THEY'RE EFFING ANNOYING TO SETUP! Mad

I can now get the action to process each file in the folder. BUT now it saves each one as the same file name (overwriting the original file).

How is it overwriting the PDFs if you are saving as PSDs?

To save the processed files in a separate folder - in the Batch window - Destination - Folder - Choose (i.e. C:\Files\Processed)

To save the processed files with a different name use the dialog boxes at the bottom.

TofuTheGreat

Post Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:09 pm   Reply with quote         

vokaris wrote:
TofuTheGreat wrote:

How is it overwriting the PDFs if you are saving as PSDs?

To save the processed files in a separate folder - in the Batch window - Destination - Folder - Choose (i.e. C:\Files\Processed)

It's overwriting the resulting PSD each time. So the first image in the list is "Adventurer_1st_Floor.pdf" and that creates "Adventurer_1st_Floor.psd". Then each PDF after that also creates "Adventurer_1st_Floor.psd".

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:49 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
It's overwriting the resulting PSD each time. So the first image in the list is "Adventurer_1st_Floor.pdf" and that creates "Adventurer_1st_Floor.psd". Then each PDF after that also creates "Adventurer_1st_Floor.psd".
I tried to replicate the same scenario and I see your problem. It's weird.
How about a workaround:

1. open the 1st file, record a new action (place logo 2), place logo, stop the action (i.e. no open/save commands recorded in the action)

2. use the Image Processor under File-Scripts
- select source folder
- select destination folder
- file type: PSD
- Preferences - run action - place logo 2

TofuTheGreat

Post Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:13 pm   Reply with quote         

vokaris wrote:
TofuTheGreat wrote:
I tried to replicate the same scenario and I see your problem. It's weird.
How about a workaround:

1. open the 1st file, record a new action (place logo 2), place logo, stop the action (i.e. no open/save commands recorded in the action)

2. use the Image Processor under File-Scripts
- select source folder
- select destination folder
- file type: PSD
- Preferences - run action - place logo 2

Voks you are my new HERO! Very Happy

While not perfect it still worked enough to save me a TON of time. Now I just open each PSD, size to 1600x1200, resize & relocate the logo and save as a gif at 700x525. I'm sure I could automate the canvas resizing and the save for web.

THANK YOU VOKS!

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:51 pm   Reply with quote         

I think the trouble with PDFs is that, even if it says "Open", in reality it is an "Import", and in the fist dialog you actually set the name of the new file (by default it takes the name of the PDF you open). The problem with starting an action with File - Open - PDF, etc. is that the name of the first PDF is recorded in the action (i.e. all files processed with this action end up with the same image name), concequently the Save As part of the action overwrites the previous file.

There ways I found to work around this:

a) the Image Processor script

b) using the Batch dialog - forfeit the original names and use the serial numbering option for the new files (001, 002, etc)

c) don't start the action with a File - Open, but rather with File - Open as Smart Object; Rasterize Layer (or Flatten image); place logo; save as psd; close - this way you retain the original file name with the added "[Filename] as smart object-1.psd"

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:50 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
While not perfect it still worked enough to save me a TON of time. Now I just open each PSD, size to 1600x1200, resize & relocate the logo and save as a gif at 700x525. I'm sure I could automate the canvas resizing and the save for web.
you can have the resizing and save-for-web (GIF) recorded in the action.

Why do you need to relocate the logo? If it is always in the same location, you can make a 1600x1200 transparent document and size/position the logo on a separate layer, save as "logo_sized.psd"

Open the first PDF and can record this action:

1. file - automate - image fit (1600x1200)
2. canvas size - 1600x1200
3. flatten image
4. place "logo_sized.psd" (enter)
5. file - save for web (size 700x525, customize your settings)

stop recording

steps 1 and 2 above are a to make sure that all plans will end up the exact same size (1600x1200 landscape), regardless of the original orientation.

Now, when you run the folder through the Image Processor with the new action you end up with both 700x525 GIFs in the target folder and 1600x1200 PSDs in a subfolder

TofuTheGreat

Post Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:15 pm   Reply with quote         

These are PDFs of floor plans for log homes. So the logo needs to move depending on the floorplan otherwise it could overlap important elements of the design.

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Actions & PDFs - Reply to topic