Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Does our home page.... - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

bigbuck

Post Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:54 pm   Reply with quote         

Hey, I didn't mean to start a big argument. The threads didn't personally upset me in the slightest. As I said, I am certainly no prude. It's just that I didn't think the top three threads on the home page on that day were an appropriate advertisement for our site. We want to encourage new members, not turn them away. And I would like for my daughter or mother to be able to visit without having to see that stuff. Remember, we have advantage chat where we can post all the garbage we like without the general public ever seeing it. It's really no biggie to me, it would just be nice to see a bit more art/PS stuff on the front page in preference to crap (literally).

Canuck <º)))><

Post Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:07 am   Reply with quote         

splodge wrote:
not deleted, moved to stop the same crap happening all over again

Where to?

Post Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:11 am   Reply with quote         

Advantage forums is, quite frankly, a really ignorant, not too well thought out proposition.
Proc. Dude, you could be making so much more money from this site, with so many more active users, with a far more positive attitude, and *recognition* with no more work than you're doing now if you would just stop trying to be Jeremy.

It's this mod crew that kept PSC from being w1k's equal.
yeah, they're a great bunch. Nice. You think any of them would
be making a few grand a year when they should be making ten, twenty times as much just to save your feelings? Jeremy was great. Stop being him.

PS. The guys at w1k are filthy rich from this stuff.
Yeah, they got their negatives, but their positives?....
it's a joke we don't have their positives.

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:42 am   Reply with quote         

what?
Scion...I may agree with you but I only understand 1/2 of what you type 1/4 of the time...soooo....dumb it down for so cal, ok? Wink

Post Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:56 am   Reply with quote         

splodge wrote:
any chance of building an off topic forum (as mentioned by rashdog in the forums earlier) so i don't have to lock, delete or hide forum topics we can just move the ones that get or start passionately or stupidly off topic and not show on the home page???
simple "Off Topic" link on the home page so they can carry on without affecting the home page?

request i put in lastnight to help fix the problem, tutorMe is looking into it but as ever it's waiting for proc to show up.

scion i'm still against advantage chat, do you realy think i'm sugesting advantage forum??? Mad

Canuck <º)))>< your kind of troublesome threads go into the mods forum or spam file so another mod can re-install them if they dont agree with my discision

Hallcross Toots

Post Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:26 am   Reply with quote         

Quote:
any chance of building an off topic forum where we can just move the ones that get or start passionately or stupidly off topic and not show on the home page???
splodge wrote:

request i put in lastnight to help fix the problem, tutorMe is looking into it but as ever it's waiting for proc to show up.

This is not a good idea.

The site needs to give people a reason to return throughout the day, apart from the 5 minutes it takes to vote in a contest.

As silly as I think certain threads are, they do account for a ton of return visits with people checking for updates.

Front page threads are like an impulse-buy rack at the front of the grocery store. You come in to buy milk but the tabloids and Mars Bars catch your eye and suck you in.

Once you move the "off-topic" threads away from the front page, very few people will care to look for them.

Will the remaining threads about batch resizing and the pen tool encourage people to return every 20 minutes? No.

And finally, let's look at who actually started the 2 offending threads...
ReyRey and Claf.
If it takes the odd thread about wanking and bowel movements to keep them happy, then so be it.

cafn8d

Post Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:38 am   Reply with quote         

Those are good points, Badcop. Here's another suggestion (which I'm sure will have its own negatives I haven't thought of yet): Divide the space for most recent thread links into two sections. ON-TOPIC threads in one, and listed higher on the screen, OFF-TOPIC (and labeled as such) in the other, below it.

Even if the homepage is not completely reorganized, there isn't need for quite so much space between each section, is there? To my eye, there's plenty of room to divide that one section in two and allow each to hold 4-6 threads.

Canuck <º)))><

Post Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:47 pm   Reply with quote         

splodge wrote:
Canuck <º)))>< your kind of troublesome threads go into the mods forum or spam file so another mod can re-install them if they dont agree with my discision

What exactly was 'troublesome' about the one you 'moved?' It was merely a joke with no discussion intended. Sure, it may have been a dumb joke, but troublesome, hardly.

If the thread was merely troublesome because I am the one who started it, then I take issue with your decision. It would then appear that you lock the serious threads I post, and 'move' the ones that I intend as humour. I think your bias goes further than the content.

Post Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:08 pm   Reply with quote         

if we ever get an off topic thread i will release all the crap you lot started, be prepared to embarrassed

Hallcross Toots
Canuck <º)))><

Post Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:28 pm   Reply with quote         

splodge wrote:
if we ever get an off topic thread i will release all the crap you lot started, be prepared to embarrassed

Um, okaaaaaaaaaay.

Post Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:35 pm   Reply with quote         

splodge wrote:

Not sure just WHAT the threat is there Splodge... You've been taking communication lessons from Scion, it seems! Wink

Man... I actually get both sides here. It is a challenging problem. I don't contribute much here anymore in an "official adding chops in contests" kinda way. I do hope that I add SOME energy to this community. And, if I do, I suspect it is mostly through my "special way" that I do it. Many many "creatives" I've worked with over the years tend to have a, shall we say, "interesting" sense of humor. And they have also tended to be rather passionate and somewhat openminded at the same time as being opinionated. With all that, I can see how tough it is to keep a site like this rolling in a way that keeps even a small amount of the members happy.

Like many here... I don't want to sell my personal style short just to keep some whimps happy (and i know that whimp is a subjective term) but at the same time I do my best to not cause harm to anyone (most people I give a good rip to here I have a good relationship with, and I know their capacity to handle my teasing... those I don't know well I mostly leave alone until I figure them out).

BUT - that home page is kinda our "welcome mat" (or, in Sk8terPunk's world: Welcome Matt" Wink ) and I guess it would be nice if it didn't have chunks of fecal matter and long coagulated streaks of greenish ectoplastic goop smeared all over it on a regular basis.

BUT - I think the concept that RashDoggy and others have contemplated, the "PSC red Zone", is a good starting point to ponder.

Perhaps a nice clean foyer and some comfy chairs for folks coming in off the troublesome streets of the world. And then, some different rooms (clearly labeled) where they could go and explore if they felt like it?

Personally, I don't let kids into my workshop un-attended and I keep all my candy hidden in a locked cupboard out of reach of most 10 year olds. But I'll let them have access to the PLayDough Factory and my Mutant Ninja Turtle comics.

*RANT RANT RANT - I know, but I've got these thoughts in my head, dammit!*

So, having some areas that are clearly labeled (eg: Idiot Humour, Open Debate Club, All Images Go Gallery, etc.) is an idea I could get behind. And I think those links could be one level in, or off homepage center, so the new and uptite casual visitors were not put off right away. As Rashdog so smartly put forward: it might take some time to get to know the charactors around here.... best to give people a chance to come to US rather than US be jammed down their (the newbies) throats.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Does our home page.... - Reply to topic