Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - What do you look for in a source - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

ReyRey

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:55 pm   Reply with quote         

What do you look for in a source.
I put the images for the chopperdome source up and let you all pick which one to use. They were all nice pictures, but as for sources, I never would have picked the source that won. (it's just my opinion and by no means was it a bad pick)
I'm just wondering, What makes a good source pic for you.
Are you thinking of how many things you can do with it or do you just think it's a pretty picture, or did you pick it because you like birds or sculpture? Just wondering.

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:06 pm   Reply with quote         

I personally pick sources (Advantage, ChopperDome, for Advantage submission, etc.) based on the number of ideas I get for the chop in the first few seconds.

That's not to say I personally could pull off those ideas. Just if I see lots of possibles I vote for it for a source.

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:31 pm   Reply with quote         

I vote for the simplest source, in terms of what's actually IN the source (i.e. busy source pic = no vote)

fempie

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:35 pm   Reply with quote         

I look at the first ... cant find an idea
then look at the second... cant find an idea
look a the 3rd... no idea
stare at the 4th... gues what?
last one... still no idea

and then i just pick the one where its most likely i will get an idea for when the contest is on.

although i am hardly posting since i am again in this "i have no inspiration" time. I hate when that happens!
Crying or Very sad Sad

sonic3

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:18 pm   Reply with quote         

I look for the one which i think i could be most creative with.

Martrex

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:06 pm   Reply with quote         

I like something interesting and with the most detail and texture is nice as well. Very Happy

ReyRey

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:19 pm   Reply with quote         

I'm with DP. I like simple too. I love nice textures, especially rust and old wood, tree bark, etc. I love animals.These things get my creative juices going. I have A.D.D. so busy images turn me off.

TJ

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:44 pm   Reply with quote         

I like a source that is tough, something you look at and say "What the hell do I do with that!"....
Something that makes me think about it for a day or two or even a week before even starting.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Shocked Very Happy

TJ

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:47 pm   Reply with quote         

But not to tough!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

dewdew

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:30 pm   Reply with quote         

It's not so much the subject in the source that i worry about. My biggest problem is with the shot angle/height and the subject angle in the picture.

Having a group of artist submit photo's for source's means you get a lot of strange angles and people hanging from trees upside down with a half twist while taking the photo. Trying to match the angle even close... rambo THAT MAKES THE GOOGLE SEARCH GODS MAD. Laughing

For sources I like open shots...with distance in them....hell, just'a skyline every now and then would be nice. Close ups are for peoples faces...but not for Tulips...unless it's two lips Shocked Embarassed (the kissing kind) Razz ... Twisted Evil Thats totally different.

(not that i would use my PS powers for Evil) Laughing

Synthvet

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:48 am   Reply with quote         

fempie wrote:
I look at the first ... cant find an idea
then look at the second... cant find an idea
look a the 3rd... no idea
stare at the 4th... gues what?
last one... still no idea

and then i just pick the one where its most likely i will get an idea for when the contest is on.

although i am hardly posting since i am again in this "i have no inspiration" time. I hate when that happens!
Crying or Very sad Sad

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:37 am   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:
I'm with DP. I like simple too. I love nice textures, especially rust and old wood, tree bark, etc. I love animals.These things get my creative juices going. I have A.D.D. so busy images turn me off.

Funny how a lot of busy images seem to be getting through...can we get ONE image of say...a cup? Or a wrench? Or a pencil? Or some nuts and bolts? Or SOMETHING?

Seems to me that simple images tend to give way to more creative uses of the source.

YerPalAl

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:07 am   Reply with quote         

I, too, like simple images. And one thing that annoys me about some source pics are the fact they are low quality photographs to begin with. flat contrast, soft focused images you first need to correct before you can even start chopping. Also, images with bits missing like flying objects with wing/fin tips or cut, furry animals missing parts of the chin. Come on, we can fix these things, but there are a lot of non-advantage folks for whom time is a factor and that is a screw job for them.

Tesore

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:17 am   Reply with quote         

It's the other way round... the source looks at me and says: Make THIS! Evil or Very Mad
I've nothing to tell Confused Crying or Very sad

Wink

Cartoon Contractor

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:22 am   Reply with quote         

YerPalAl wrote:
I, too, like simple images. And one thing that annoys me about some source pics are the fact they are low quality photographs to begin with. flat contrast, soft focused images you first need to correct before you can even start chopping. Also, images with bits missing like flying objects with wing/fin tips or cut, furry animals missing parts of the chin. Come on, we can fix these things, but there are a lot of non-advantage folks for whom time is a factor and that is a screw job for them.

I'm with you Al! Give me a WHOLE object! Argh

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - What do you look for in a source - Reply to topic