Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - H2H - people that missed out. - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What if anything should be done.

Send email to members returning after long breaks to make sure they will turn up.

14%

14%

[ 5 ]

Have ones that miss out do an entry in the hope of getting installed in a given window, if people do not show in round 1.

85%

85%

[ 30 ]

Total Votes: 35

marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:44 pm   Reply with quote         

I was thinking of a few things and Rocky(job) has a great point.

Some people do a hell of a lot of work in round 1 and 2, only for there competitor to no show.

Idea 1:

So I agree, send the ones that have returned from years ago an email they must reply to by a certain date to say they will definitely enter. Otherwise people are missing out for no reason.

Poor Armo(ggedon) is missing out for the 2nd year in a row by millimeters. And we all know there will be no shows.

Idea 2:

The other idea is to tel the 10 or 15 whatever next in line to do a chop, and hold the voting of round 1 for an hour from the upload deadline, so any no shows in that hour can be replaced by the next in line.

Something like this should be done, as it is always a cluster f**k in round 1, about 10 or so no shows if not more and the people who are left on the sidelines flipping the bird at the whole thing as they missed it through a few guys who decide not to turn up to the big show.

Thoughts please, and as there is probably not much time, make them constructive.

Tesore

Post Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:03 pm   Reply with quote         

Bow

+1

bneises

Post Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:23 pm   Reply with quote         

I like the do a chop anyways idea. It makes sense and like you said you know there will be no shows... Shocked

billtvshow
Site Moderator

Post Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:27 pm   Reply with quote         

marcoballistic wrote:
The other idea is to tell the 10 or 15 whatever next in line to do a chop, and hold the voting of round 1 for an hour from the upload deadline, so any no shows in that hour can be replaced by the next in line.

I've kind of always thought we should do this. The potential problem is that a 16 seed no shows and some amazing 2 or 3 seed person gets put in against a 1 seed in round 1 unexpectedly and that's unbalances things, however, we could take the next 15 to sign up, ignore the order they signed up and replace anyone that is a no show with the person who's pscore would put them in closest seed spot to the person who no showed. It may cause a tiny bit of a delay the morning that voting starts to plug in the holes, but I think this is fair way to make sure the brackets stay balanced and the optimal amount of people get to participate.
glennhanna

Post Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:30 pm   Reply with quote         

I like option 2. It's the most practical. I think 10-15 "on-call" entries could be submitted, then at 8:00 am, a program would insert the next "x" amount of "on-calls" into the no-show spots, in order of PSC score... to the closest appropriate slot.

But, there isn't a program to do that, so it'd probably done by hand... so, let the voting start for all the filled H2H contests, and put a hold on voting for the no-show contests, enough time to figure out replacements, then open those scab contests up an hour or two..... or, er, probably wind up to be 24 hours later Laughing

billtvshow
Site Moderator

Post Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:34 pm   Reply with quote         

I mean, assuming I don't go into a coma, I could fill those holes in within a few minutes assuming the tool is properly setup to do it then.
armogeden

Post Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:47 pm   Reply with quote         

Marco I really do appreciate you sticking up for me and others like me like this, lord knows you didnt have to. As for the H2H itself if there was anyway of subbing in those that missed out, however narrowly, into the main prosession of things via no shows and the like, I am all for it. Infact, I cant believe no ones thought/implemented this before Idea

As marco pointed out this is the 2nd year in a row I've narrowly missed out on, and lets face it, I miss you guys Smile

I and I'm sure many others would be greatful for any second chances given, however big or small

cafn8d

Post Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:55 pm   Reply with quote         

I like BTVS's version of the idea, too. I'd love it if there were no vacant spots left by no shows! However, I do think the "stand-by" seeds should be asked to confirm that they would be willing to pour their hearts into a chop that may potentially NOT be used since that's a different deal than what they thought they were signing up for.

cherylm329

Post Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:59 pm   Reply with quote         

Hey, I have a question, will we be notified of when the H2H starts? Just in case I am not around for a couple of weeks, I don't want to miss it. Smile I can't remember if we were reminded or not last year.

glennhanna

Post Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:59 pm   Reply with quote         

Yeah, since there wasn't a specific start date... some people should have the option to drop out without penalty

Tad

Post Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:24 pm   Reply with quote         

I do hope something can be figured out on those cut.

I received my email, registered....and didn't make the list Huh..

I was excited that I finally was going to be able to do a H2H after reading about it months ago from the last one. I have been doing tuts, asking for help on PS, posted in my home forums about it to get "good luck" wishes, even bought a membership here so I could start delving deeper into this site as a whole.

Sadly dissapointed Huh..

I hope in some way atleast some of us that were cut can still have a chance.

If not, GL to those who did make it in, I wish you the best.

armogeden

Post Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:42 pm   Reply with quote         

Tad wrote:

If not, GL to those who did make it in, I wish you the best.

Agreed Smile

nyxxie

Post Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:50 pm   Reply with quote         

Gosh, I am so rusty, I haven't chopped in a very long time. Maybe I should do one before the contest starts to brush up a little.
Razz

Post Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:15 am   Reply with quote         

I would hope that a 1 seed would chop 100% no matter who they think their competiton is, and if they don't and lose, that's their tough luck
billtvshow wrote:
The potential problem is that a 16 seed no shows and some amazing 2 or 3 seed person gets put in against a 1 seed in round 1 unexpectedly and that's unbalances things

nancers 04/05 @ 10:40 pm
I like beefhead. He's such a noob. Guide him someone, please?

nancers 04/06 @ 08:41 pm
Because you don't count beef. JMH decided that when you were a noob.

PooDeFuego 06/23 @ 03:32 pm
BEEF YOU SON OF A BITCH!!!!!
Eve
Site Moderator

Post Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:01 am   Reply with quote         

Laughing Laughing while I respect your opinion, you haven't chopped since 2006!
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - H2H - people that missed out. - Reply to topic