Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Photoshop open image problem - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

blue_lurker

Post Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:05 am   Reply with quote         

Hey guys

Not sure what's the go here but I use to open an image in:

File - Open Recent - (then select the recent image I wanted)

It was great for when I was working on 2 or 3 different images and need to go back save to check a result.

After the last auto adobe upgrade thing this function has stopped working. I opened photoshop on my laptop, this has not received the latest upgrade, and went thru the preferences comparing them to my desk top and all is exactly the same.

Every thing else works the same on both machines except the "open Recent".

So any ideas on how to fix this little problem would be appreciated.

Thanks
Blurker

arcaico

Post Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:30 am   Reply with quote         

the last update comes with a faulty plugin to enhance the creative aspect of the images (hemp plugin). Unfortunately, it causes SML (short memory loss) in PS, avoiding it to remember the recent files you opened. some are calling this update "the stoned PS update". Hope I have helped you.

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

blue_lurker

Post Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:37 am   Reply with quote         

Thanks arco any ideas on how to repair this problem?

arcaico

Post Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:38 am   Reply with quote         

try sending yer PS to rehab. Sometimes it works. Not guaranteed though.

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

blue_lurker

Post Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:42 am   Reply with quote         

Ya smart ass bugger Laughing

So you got nothing huh, typical bloody Brazilian bugger luck for you ya still got mardi gra to keep you as my friend Wink

arcaico

Post Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:44 am   Reply with quote         

technically, mardi gras is in New Orleans, US... Wink but we do have carnaval in here, yes...

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

blue_lurker

Post Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:45 am   Reply with quote         

arcaico wrote:
technically, mardi gras is in New Orleans, US... Wink but we do have carnaval in here, yes...

Its got half naked chicks init with big boobies, who cares what ya bloody calls it. Laughing

Now how do I fix this bloody PS problem Confused

arcaico

Post Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:06 am   Reply with quote         

found a solution for a similar problem in InDesign... maybe if you try one of the solutions in PS it might work...

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=331693

Solutions

Do one of the following solutions:

Solution 1: Install the latest InDesign CS2 update.

The update and installation instructions are available on the Adobe website at www.adobe.com/downloads .

Solution 2: Delete the InDesign SavedData file.

To delete the InDesign SavedData file: Select the InDesign SavedData file in Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Adobe\InDesign\Version 4.0, and then delete the file. InDesign recreates the file when you restart the application.

Solution 3: Enable the "Allow Recent Documents on Start menu" item in the TweakUI control panel.

Change the value of the NoRecentDocsMenu registry key with Tweak UI to Allow Recent Documents On Start Menu and in InDesign.

To enable Allow Recent Documents On Start Menu in TweakUI(Windows XP):

1. Choose Start > Programs > PowerToys for Windows XP > TweakUI.

2. Select Explorer.

3. Check Allow Recent Documents On Start Menu.

4. Click Apply, and then click OK.

To enable Show Documents On Start Menu in TweakUI (Windows 2000):

1. Choose Start > Settings > Control Panels, and then double-click the TweakUI control panel.

2. Click the IE tab.

3. Check Show Documents On Start Menu.

4. Click Apply, and then click OK.

Solution 4: Enable "Allow Recent Documents on Start Menu" by manually editing the registry.

Disclaimer: The registry contains system-related information that is critical to your computer and applications. Before modifying the registry, be sure to make a backup copy of it. Adobe does not provide support for problems that arise from improperly modifying the registry. Adobe strongly recommends that you have experience editing system files before you modify the registry. For information on the Windows Registry Editor, see your Windows user guide or contact Microsoft Technical Support.

1. Choose Start > Run and type regedit in the Open field. Click OK.

2. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Policies/Explorer.

3. Double-click NoRecentDocsMenu.

4. Change the specified Value data to 00 00 00 00.

5. Click OK, then close the Registry Editor.

Note: If the value for The REG_BINARY NoRecentDocsHistory key is 0x01, then the option is not active.

Background information

TweakUI sets can the value for The REG_BINARY NoRecentDocsHistory in the key to "1". This value will suppress the list of recent documents, however, it does not suppress the presence of the Open Recent item in the menu.

In some cases a user might not have TweakUI installed on their system and did not create this REG_BINARY in the key; however, something may have triggered this problem. There are similar applications, like WinChanger, with similar settings, that can cause the same issue.

The setting for the Open Recent menu is a per-user setting, which is why it is located in HKEY_CURRENT_USER. Therefore, if a user logs into the administrative account they may not encounter the problem.

The information about Open Recent settings are stored in the Saved Data file. In some cases deleting the InDesign SavedDated file solves the issue.

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

Lord David

Location: Melbourne, Australian Continent, Earth, Sector 001, United Federation of Planets, Alpha Quadrant.

Post Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:34 am   Reply with quote         

Not a problem for me, oh that's right, I don't update my PS. Laughing

blue_lurker

Post Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:36 am   Reply with quote         

gee thanks dave your as much help as adobe online....
F*CK ALL

splodge

Post Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:37 am   Reply with quote         

I've got PSCS4 masters collection, had a treble update last week. PS, InDisign, and i think the 3rd one was Bridge , open recent still works for me

Hallcross Toots
blue_lurker

Post Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:39 am   Reply with quote         

Im running CS2 so dont know if that makes a difference, and adobe only wanted me to upgrade to cs4 rather than resolve the problem, so I guess Im stuck with this little problem till some one finds the fix for it.

blue_lurker

Post Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:51 am   Reply with quote         

OK just bumping this up before aI go to bed hopin some PS guru will read it an go...
ya just do this and then this and then that and its all fixed.

Night PSC
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

blue_lurker

Post Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:11 am   Reply with quote         

Damn three hours google search and I still got nothing...come on PSC help ya mate out. Please

ReinMan

Post Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:36 am   Reply with quote         

Just a dumb idea here (my best kind) but have you trashed your current PS preferences and restarted yet?

http://www.creativepro.com/article/photoshop-tips-trashing-the-preferences-file

http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/photoshop/ht/trashprefs.htm

Usually when Photoshop starts doing ANYTHING out of the ordinary it is time to trash the preferences file.

HINT: once you delete them, open photoshop and IMMEDIATLY set it up the way you like (cntrl/cmmnd+K), and then close it down. Go find your PREF file and make a copy of it. It will be a nice VIRGIN Pref file. Then go about using PS as you normally would. If, in the future, things get weird again you can go to the folder your Pref file is in, delete the "normal" pref file and then replace it with the "BACKUP" Pref file. This will save you having to manually reset all the preferences again when you re-open Photoshop.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Photoshop open image problem - Reply to topic