Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Accused of stealing own design work - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:53 am   Reply with quote         

Jon Engle, a freelance logo designer has been accused of stealing his own work.

Won't put much explenation here, as it is all explained in his blog:

http://www.jonengle.com/2009/04/accused/

excerpts:
Quote:
I was first contacted by a stock art site in July of last year. They hit me with a bill for a whopping $18,000! I had an account with the site. Years ago I purchased an illustration of a chef’s hat for a client’s project. So, I thought this was some accounting mistake. Nope. This was a bill for new images. Very familiar images. They were images from several of my logos; 65 of them in fact. That breaks down to about $275 per image. They actually wanted me to pay them $275 for each one of MY images!
Quote:
When I refused to pay the bill they hired a law firm specializing in copyright infringement. The attorney called and offered a settlement of $18,000. How is that any different than the bill? I refuse to pay THEM for work I created. That is the epitomy of ridiculous. The attorney didn’t like my response. He threatened to sue. I say BRING IT ON! I have no doubt I can win in court.

However, the new tactic I discovered this morning is so much harder to fight. They (lawyers) are calling or emailing every one of my clients they can find. They inform the client that I’m being investigated for copyright infringement and that the logo I designed for them may have been stolen from their client. After discovering my ban from Design Outpost I began contacting clients to see exactly who they’ve been in touch with.

Basically someone probably copied his work, now Jon is being prosecuted for about 18000$ by Stockart.com and Artlaws.com for copyright infringement. Problem is it is his own work.

A fund has been set up to help Jon with his legal case estimated at 5000$.

Since there a couple of designers here, I thought you might be interested to follow up on this case.

ps: if you're interested in participating with the funding.
http://www.fundable.com/groupactions/groupaction.2009-04-06.6402295564

Post Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:06 am   Reply with quote         

Due to being hot news his site is pretty hard to reach,
here's google cached version of the blog entry
http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:4xeUCXpV_BcJ:www.jonengle.com/2009/04/accused/+jon+engle&cd=1&hl=nl&ct=clnk&gl=be

buglover

Post Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:51 am   Reply with quote         

What a nightmare! Evil or Very Mad

Post Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:58 am   Reply with quote         

Damn! Shocked Evil or Very Mad I say BIG ass counter suit! Twisted Evil

Post Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:43 am   Reply with quote         

grefix is this happening here in belgium ?????

Post Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:56 am   Reply with quote         

candron wrote:
grefix is this happening here in belgium ?????
nope, Engle is based in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
( http://www.relevantstudio.net/#about )

cafn8d

Post Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:23 am   Reply with quote         

Wow. Shocked
My first thought was that he didn't understand the repercussions of selling the rights to his logos. But since he didn't sell them, it sounds like identity theft of sorts. This will be a hard case to prove... showing both that he created the works before they were sold and that he is NOT the one who sold them, nor affiliated with the seller. In today's world of multiple aliases and digital payments, etc, it may be near impossible to prove that negative. Good luck to him! Really really stinks to be in his boat. Evil or Very Mad

Post Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:32 am   Reply with quote         

nyxxie

Post Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:42 pm   Reply with quote         

That is really scary stuff. Confused

Oscar

Post Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:52 am   Reply with quote         

I still stuff from DA all the time... suck for that poor guy.

buglover

Post Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:10 pm   Reply with quote         

Grefix wrote:
nope, Engle is based in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Ahhhhhhh that explains why the server is that slow - it's on SIESTA! Arrrrrrrrriba! king

Post Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:44 pm   Reply with quote         

Tarmac

Post Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:18 am   Reply with quote         

This might have been more entertaining had it all played out on April 1st.

QUOTE: "Reddit (and digg and slashdot) have all been had! [and who's surprised]"

Nothing an old fashioned internet lynching won't fix. Run and hide Jon.

dewdew

Post Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:49 am   Reply with quote         

I hope he proves his ownership and rips them a new ass.
Saying you owe $18,000 is one thing, but to call and email clients and tell them he stole the work. Shocked
What happen to Slander Laws ?? Do they not have to prove this in court before they can start destroying your reputation and career. Even if he does win in court...the damage is done.
Sounds like some kind of SCAM to me. They post an Artist work...call the Artist and tell him he owes them. To avoid damage to his reputation as a Artist, he pays the fee and hopes he never hears anymore about it. So your damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

Shocked ...i might owe google. Of course once they realize i don't have Clients...that should fizzle out quick. Smile

Post Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:58 am   Reply with quote         

The other side of the story,as DP says, the plot thickens

http://www.thelogofactory.com/logo_blog/index.php/stock-logos-copyright-twitter/

excerpt
Quote:
A lot more. I also believe there’s enough evidence to indicate that neither StockArt.com, Artlaws.com or the various people that work for them, hire them, or use their services are the bastards that they’re being made out to be. And while the entire world has heard Jon’s side, only a few have taken the time to research the other side (or even taken a look at some of the work in dispute).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Accused of stealing own design work - Reply to topic