Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - H2H No Shows.... - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

blue_lurker

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:52 am   Reply with quote         

Granulated wrote:
blue_lurker wrote:
Well I guess the first round could be like the reunion contest, but make it anonymous, then the top 128, 64, how ever many choppers face off for round 2 and the contest runs as normal.

That way you are at least almost eliminate the no shows...maybe

That's pretty much exactly the same as an idea wot I 'ad !

Well speak up next time, Im old and goin deef ya young whipper snapper

ReinMan

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:52 am   Reply with quote         

Claf wrote:
... and also thanks for the ones (blue lurker, TutorMe ...) who brought some positive comments.
Very Happy

Claf: I lOVE your haircut and I think your accent is OUTRAGEOUSLY sexy.

reindeer

TofuTheGreat

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:00 am   Reply with quote         

I posted this in the developer's board yesterday. Probably has some merit here considering the things I've read.

Quote:
Well as usual the bitching about the H2H is in full throttle again. Some things have already been suggested as possible improvements to the process. I've got a couple thoughts of my own so I'll mix them together as best I can.

Tourney Scheduling
This one gripe seems to be the first gripe every year. We really need to have this be a scheduled event with a defined start date. Why not just say it'll be the first Monday in April every year (or similar definable date)? Period. Done. End of public discussion.

I personally believe there would be more (and better) participation if people could actually plan for the event.

Advertising H2H on PSC
HUMONGOUS changes needed here. The tourney should be prominently mentioned all over the site leading up to, and during, the tournament. Too many site regulars couldn't even find out details so how's a casual visitor supposed to know where to look? It's just too obscured.

Tourney Sign-Ups
This is huge. I suggest that sign-ups start a max of two weeks out from the scheduled start date of the tourney and it's a multi-part entry process.
- First send out the email reminding of the tourney (say a month in advance). Then send out an email that sign-ups will start on mm/dd/yyyy (reminding that the tourney starts on mm/dd/yyyy). When people sign-up they do so knowing that they are reserving a slot but are not a confirmed participant. Sign-ups will be allowed up to one week before the tourney start date (see below for why).

- Two weeks before the tourney entrants must manually confirm their intent to participate by visiting the site and going to the confirmation page. This CANNOT be done earlier so that they confirm only to change their mind later. Those that do not confirm their participation are dumped from the registration. This should also should NOT be a "click this link to confirm" email either. Make them work for it. They must go to the site confirmation page and enter their password as a confirmation that they intend to participate and not pull a no-show. At confirmation reinforce the specific start date and time for the round as well as the deadline for submitting their first round entry.

- One week before the tourney the sign-ups and confirmation periods end. Preliminary brackets are made/posted and email reminders are sent out to all the confirmed participants and alternates. This gives people time for any "Oh crap this came up and now I have to bow out so assign an alternate please...". I say preliminary brackets as contestants must understand that the brackets will be altered when dealing with the no-shows. Alternates will be assigned by closest PSCore to the contestant that no-showed.

This next part stings to say it but.... accept the participants based on their PSCore first and not by order of signing up. Anyone with a lower PSCore (like me) would automatically be an alternate even if they signed up and confirmed first. Reserve the confirmed slots for participants who are the cream of the PSC crop. I know that sounds harsh BUT I think it would result in better tourney chops. I also think that people would take the daily contests more seriously if it held bearing on their ability to be in the H2H. Granted it could piss some people off but you can make an omelet yada yada....

Operation
Post the round source on Friday at 8:00 a.m and remind alternates that they must chop also if they want to be slotted in on a no-show. Give contestants until 8:00 a.m. on Monday to submit their entry. Voting starts Tuesday 8 a.m. This gives organizers 24 hours to insert alternates for the no-shows and award byes as needed (basically reworking the brackets if required). Voting runs to Thursday 8 a.m. when winners are announced. Repeat for duration of the tourney.

Prizes
Um.... There don't seem to be any this year. Confused

People like to win more than accolades. Honestly the biggest draw for my first H2H was the lure of winning a lifetime advantage. I'm not saying the final four should get the lifetimes. I say that should be the final winner's prize. Final four should get something like a $50 PayPal or an iPod shuffle, etc. Final winner would get the final four prizes, the lifetime advantage and something bigger (i.e. another cash prize, a digital camera, credit at online merchant, etc.). Heck have a $5 entry fee for the H2H to cover prizes if need be ($5x128=$640 so more than enough). Have a free pass for the next H2H as part of the prize pack for the final fours as well. Plus a fee may discourage the no-shows and encourage the serious players to participate.

Sweeten the pot, be diligent about it, and people will want to participate more. Look how many people signed-on with NO prizes being declared or defined for this year's H2H.

Other items
I'm currently working on an algorithm to automate the bracket assignments. This way the melding in of alternates could conceivably happen automatically and hopefully only a manual moderator review would be needed.

nancers
Former Site Moderator

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:11 am   Reply with quote         

You obviously don't put any thought into this, or time. You really don't care about this, do you?

How much do they pay you again? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:12 am   Reply with quote         

Some nice ideas tut but you will loose a lot of people with only the weekend to chop, look at the weekly contest and see how slow this place is mate, release the source for sure but to post on the monday makes it difficult for a lot of us. Just my 2cents here.

I still like a normal contest for the start, I guess the first round could be like the reunion contest, but make it anonymous, then the top 128, 64, how ever many choppers face off for round 2 and the contest runs as normal.

That way you are at least almost eliminate the no shows...maybe

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:19 am   Reply with quote         

Are there any prizes this time?

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:23 am   Reply with quote         

ReinMan wrote:
Claf wrote:
... and also thanks for the ones (blue lurker, TutorMe ...) who brought some positive comments.
Very Happy

Claf: I lOVE your haircut and I think your accent is OUTRAGEOUSLY sexy.

reindeer

Laughing

... but ... what about my haircut? I didn't cut my hair recently. What? Maybe you always liked my haircut?
Haaaa... thanks! Good thing to know! Mr. Green Laughing

YerPalAl

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:26 am   Reply with quote         

BAH!!

CAN'T WE COMPLAIN ABOUT SOMETHING ELSE NOW?

My knee hurts. Confused

janetdog

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:32 am   Reply with quote         

javascript:emoticon('Idea')

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:46 am   Reply with quote         

Quote:
Other items
I'm currently working on an algorithm to automate the bracket assignments. This way the melding in of alternates could conceivably happen automatically and hopefully only a manual moderator review would be needed.

the algorithm is already there and it seeds groups and decides matches already automatically based on pscore, then there is a possibility for someone to change those assignment if they feel it would meake it more balanced..the only thing that needs to be implemented is the reserves being able to submit their imageand the consequential step-in in case of noshows. please contact me so you don't work for nothing as most of the work is already done.

ReinMan

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:58 am   Reply with quote         

supak0ma wrote:
- something something something about algorithms & seeds & stuff -

When you talk like that you're starting to TURN ME ON, dude! Very Happy

supak0ma

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:01 am   Reply with quote         

ReinMan wrote:
supak0ma wrote:
- something something something about algorithms & seeds & stuff -

When you talk like that you're starting to TURN ME ON, dude! Very Happy

IKR! i scare myself sometimes... Laughing

anfa

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:04 am   Reply with quote         

Is it peanut butter and jelly time yet?

ReinMan

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:33 am   Reply with quote         

anfa wrote:
Is it peanut butter and jelly time yet?

You wanna be the peanut butter, or you wanna be the JELLY? Twisted Evil

TutorMe
Site Moderator

Location: Sitting in this room playing Russian roulette, finger on the trigger to my dear Juliet.

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:36 am   Reply with quote         

nancers wrote:
You obviously don't put any thought into this, or time. You really don't care about this, do you?

How much do they pay you again? Laughing Laughing Laughing

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - H2H No Shows.... - Reply to topic