Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Falling numbers of entries - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post Thu May 21, 2009 2:37 pm   Reply with quote         

PSC DAILY NEWS wrote:
What do you think is the reason for the decline in contest entries?

To which Arcaico commented

Quote:
I think itīs all connected to the decline and fall of the roman empire. When Romulus Augustus was deposed, there was a fall in the world alcohol consumption, that could have led in the decrease of the creative resources, resulting in a complete lack of PS skills. With the lack of skills and creativity, lots of people give up posting. Some think that by simply posting everyday and having tons of friendly votes, their skills and creativity will increase (like XXXXXX name withheld). Others think theyīre already great choppers due to the ammount of friendly votes they get (like XXXXXXX name withheld). But theyīre wrong, and the prove is the number of entries in the latest contests. Back in the old days you had a competition of 75+ entries a day, where there were at least 17 entries worth making top3. Nowadays, you have a TOTAl of 17 entries in a contest. Some may blame the international financial crisis, but I say itīs all about the decline and fall of the roman empire. Itīs ALL connected. Once in a while, a few members of our secret society (I cannot tell further details on the secret society because it is secret), post in daily contests. We still practice ancient techniques to stimulate creativity, some from the good old Bacchusī time, some a little more evoluted. Thatīs what keeps the contest alive, otherwise PSC would be dead. Part of it is fault of the dutchies and aussies. I wonīt go into details, but you know itīs true. Itīs a conspiracy!! A CONSPIRACY!! Some want to blame the canadians. Thatīs not true. They have nothing to do with it. I know that cause I saw the files, and I can assure you itīs not the canadians fault. Belgians are just a strategic distraction. But itīs all really italianīs fault. The fall of Constantinople is also connected, but thatīs probably subject to another talk.

After replying, Arcaico was seen kicking a puppy and taking candy from a child.
User Scion Shade Was asked the same question to which his reply was
Quote:
H2H and sources

This reporter pressed for more information,,
Mr Shade replied
Quote:
I find them boring. I find them similar, similar, similar, and even more similar.
People=head shots. Structures=taken at odd angles.
Objects = dirty, uninspired, unattractive, un-inspiring objects.
Animals smaller than a bread box= you get the whole animal. Take your pick- dead or blurry.
You have the same few people shooting pics, and voting for images.
They lack clean, organic objects. Color Palettes. They lack clean pattern w/out insurmountable varying highlights.
You know what's wrong with a man standing out in the middle of a field? Nothing. it's a great source. Where is it?
June 3..good source...three others fairly decent to mediocre, and the rest are going to inspire very little, and even then are not going to make very attractive images.
I could go on all day. I am utterly dissatisfied with the sources we get for contests. Utterly.
There's every opportunity to turn people on with sources. National flags, current hit movie characters, scenes from football championships, millions of textile samples, tech gear, designer products, there's endless opportunity for variation, but
The simplest answer is. Go look at the images for h2h, and compare to advantage calendar for the next month. Pretty obvious difference dontcha think?

Well it doesn't matter what this reporter thinks. I just report the facts. Tune in later for more of your news that matters. Cool

Post Thu May 21, 2009 7:54 pm   Reply with quote         

User, Granulated replied to the question.

Quote:
Shit sources. Obviously. Smile

Notice as soon as we get a good fun (easy to chop?) source (the giraffe head) we get a slew of very good entries and a good overall turnout.

My question to Granulated and others is..
Quote:
Do you REALLY want easy? and What makes a good source? Is it a bad source to everyone? I understand blurry or grainy would be bad but if it's clear and not grainy isn't it good? Are we just getting lazy as, not as choppers but as thinkers?

I await a reply. Cool

arcaico

Post Thu May 21, 2009 8:03 pm   Reply with quote         

pffft... you know NOTHING!!! It's just because of the decline of the roman empire.

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

blue_lurker

Post Thu May 21, 2009 8:09 pm   Reply with quote         

Back to 7 days advantage and none of this vote for a source, what ya get is what ya use...a poor workman should never blame the tools he has if the source is crappy make it un crappy, low res or poor colour use your skills to improve it or create some thing better. That's what this place is about, in saying that subject matter plays a big part in ideas but to easy and then we have more entries but there all the same.

My 2cents worth...well that's only about .003% of the old value

ScionShade

Post Thu May 21, 2009 8:31 pm   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:
Back to 7 days advantage and none of this vote for a source, what ya get is what ya use...a poor workman should never blame the tools he has if the source is crappy make it un crappy, low res or poor colour use your skills to improve it or create some thing better. That's what this place is about, in saying that subject matter plays a big part in ideas but to easy and then we have more entries but there all the same.

These images we should all use our skills to fix up. I notice none of the images you've 'fav'd' started out with images like this.
Game-set-match

Tea Man

Post Thu May 21, 2009 8:51 pm   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:

second

Post Thu May 21, 2009 9:09 pm   Reply with quote         

ScionShade wrote:
blue_lurker wrote:

These images we should all use our skills to fix up. I notice none of the images you've 'fav'd' started out with images like this.
Game-set-match

Um a little lost here shade call me dumb btu what are you on about this time.???

ScionShade

Post Thu May 21, 2009 9:16 pm   Reply with quote         

If you look at the images of others that you have favorited. You will find that the overwhelming majority of them started with sources such as the ones I described. Including patterns, and color palettes.

blue_lurker

Post Thu May 21, 2009 9:27 pm   Reply with quote         

ScionShade wrote:
If you look at the images of others that you have favorited. You will find that the overwhelming majority of them started with sources such as the ones I described. Including patterns, and color palettes.

Ok wont argue with that, but my statement was we should fix these images before we send them in. I dont understand the game set match statement either, but hey. I was under r the understanding that this was about why contest images are low, and I don't think it is the complete fault of the source images. Where my personal preference are concerned yeah sure that maybe but look at the source images I have sent in very few are of that nature yet I have had over 80 images selected or used in contests, subject matter plays a part but good quality images I think plays a bigger part.

So why not fix the image before you send it in or if it is a low res image dont send it in.

With regards to contest once the source is posted it your choice to use it or not...a hard source will have a lot less entries, because it is hard to come up with an idea but to say the source is causing all the low numbers is wrong. We the members are causing the low numbers because we don't enter. I include myself in this as well.

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Thu May 21, 2009 10:10 pm   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:
Back to 7 days advantage....

YAY!!! Very Happy

Post Fri May 22, 2009 1:07 am   Reply with quote         

Easy. During the depths of winter, it is cold, wet, and dark. We all deplete our sun vitamins, become lazy, fat, and depressed. During this emotional low, we camp our bodies onto the pillar of computer monitors. We reach out over the internet in search of light and the meaning of life, a way to stay alive as our bodies try to hibernate. We find PSC, fall in love, and produce children in the form of Photoshop Creationism. We become addicted, out of touch with the real world, and dream of making the internet and computer our permanent home.

Then Spring rolls around, the sun begins to shine, the days get longer and warmer. Dear God!, what the hell have I been doing living in that dark cave for 8 months? I have to get my ass out into the sun, go camping, play sports, BBQ, and take the kids to Disneyland. No time for internet, unless booking flights for summer vacation. I FEEL SO ALIVE!!!!!

So the #1 reason entries are low, people have lives suddenly blooming because of the change in weather and season. See you in October. sunny Cool

Post Fri May 22, 2009 1:10 am   Reply with quote         

Just remember..."Photoshop is hard as Crap"....just keep trying till your brain cells
oooze out of your ears. Once you've lost your mind...the idea usually flow better

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Fri May 22, 2009 1:53 am   Reply with quote         

glennanna's kinda weird or has good bud. Laughing

Post Fri May 22, 2009 2:09 am   Reply with quote         

Eve wrote:

I'm just weird. Keep that bud crap away from me.

ScionShade

Post Fri May 22, 2009 2:10 am   Reply with quote         

glennhanna wrote:
Eve wrote:

I'm just weird. Keep that bud crap away from me.

KUDOS!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Falling numbers of entries - Reply to topic