Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - What makes a great image - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Mir

Post Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:24 am   Reply with quote         

We pride ourselves that this is a learning site, where people are willing to help each other to learn how to be a better chopper, artist, manipulator. I feel that the few short comments we get with our votes are not really helping the new choppers understand why an image did really well and why another did so badly. If a person gets no votes at all and no comments how is he/she to know what was wrong and how they can improve their skills.

So I was thinking if we could take an image maybe one that has won and put in our critique here, people can get an idea of what make a good image and for those who are bold enough they could put in an image that really did badly and then we can put in our comments suggesting ways of improving.
pakimo

Post Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:47 am   Reply with quote         

Too many votes (25) = Too much work giving constructive critisism to all of them.

Change the number of votes one can give to percentages. Like 25% og the entries that day. If there are 100 entries one can give 25 votes. But if there are just 20 entries one can only leave 5 votes.

Think that will make people leave more words than: ...

pearlie

Post Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:49 am   Reply with quote         

That's a great idea, Mir, especially since this site does not require the 'external' sources to be shown, or a step-by-step of how the chop was done. Question

There are some real pros here, and I for one hope to learn more about this powerful program called photoshop. Even though I'm a 'late-bloomer' with it, now I'm addicted......... show me and the other newbies how ya do it! Tell us what you were thinking...... the concept Idea that inspired you, the lighting, the shadows... all o' that picky Twisted Evil stuff! And thank you all very much. Very Happy

Post Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:17 am   Reply with quote         

This is a GREAT IDEA!!.. nice... Very Happy It will help us especially the newbies like us...

Cartoon Contractor

Post Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:35 am   Reply with quote         

Mir wrote:
We pride ourselves that this is a learning site, where people are willing to help each other to learn how to be a better chopper, artist, manipulator. I feel that the few short comments we get with our votes are not really helping the new choppers understand why an image did really well and why another did so badly. If a person gets no votes at all and no comments how is he/she to know what was wrong and how they can improve their skills.

So I was thinking if we could take an image maybe one that has won and put in our critique here, people can get an idea of what make a good image and for those who are bold enough they could put in an image that really did badly and then we can put in our comments suggesting ways of improving.

If you would like to receive comments on how to improve your entries maybe you could put a "please advise me on how to improve this entry" below your image or something of that nature. I'm sure the "big dogs" would be more than happy to leave constructive comments. Just a thought!

ScionShade

Post Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:55 am   Reply with quote         

pearlie wrote:

HEY! I didn't know We had another local.
I'm in Venice. Where in swFL are you at Pearlie?
Apparently you're the first west coaster to stick it out six months since I've been here.
Except for Cafn8d, but she ran Up North.

Mir

Post Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:09 am   Reply with quote         

pearlie wrote:
That's a great idea, Mir, especially since this site does not require the 'external' sources to be shown, or a step-by-step of how the chop was done. Question

There are some real pros here, and I for one hope to learn more about this powerful program called photoshop. Even though I'm a 'late-bloomer' with it, now I'm addicted......... show me and the other newbies how ya do it! Tell us what you were thinking...... the concept Idea that inspired you, the lighting, the shadows... all o' that picky Twisted Evil stuff! And thank you all very much. Very Happy

This is exactly what I mean.

I don't mean we have to drill the artist on how he did necessarily, unless he wants to do that ( like Claf and ReyRey usually do after a big win) what I mean is we could all be critics.

Like one would say: I especially like the colours that give it such a sombre mood
or I think the light coming from the left give this image a feeling of a warm mediterranean sunset or what ever.

As for constructive critisim one could say, although the overall image is so well executed I would have done this or that to the shadows or the shadows would make more sense if they had been softer. After everyone has had a go imagine the feedback for all who were interested in the whole process.
Mir

Post Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:11 am   Reply with quote         

Cartoon Contractor wrote:
Mir wrote:

If you would like to receive comments on how to improve your entries maybe you could put a "please advise me on how to improve this entry" below your image or something of that nature. I'm sure the "big dogs" would be more than happy to leave constructive comments. Just a thought!

Yeah, what I'm saying is: this is usually not enough and not everyone has the time to write full critisim on all the images.
ScionShade

Post Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:17 am   Reply with quote         

I like the idea. I'd like to see people actually pick what is there favorite personal chop/chops from their own profile, and see them heavily critiqued, and even re-worked if the image lends itself to it.
I'd REALLY love to see some of PSC's most classic manipulations be turned into sources for contests..especially for a re-union contest.

splodge

Post Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:35 pm   Reply with quote         

me! adding a picture of me always makes a great image

Hallcross Toots
TutorMe
Site Moderator

Location: Sitting in this room playing Russian roulette, finger on the trigger to my dear Juliet.

Post Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:17 pm   Reply with quote         

Bacon. Bacon makes an image great.

Mir

Post Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:07 pm   Reply with quote         

Ok then I go first

Please discuss.
splodge

Post Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:14 pm   Reply with quote         

Malta? i dont remember a nite sky that's not full of fireworks while i was over there

Hallcross Toots
jerryhami

Post Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:23 pm   Reply with quote         

Mir wrote:
Ok then I go first

Please discuss.

I will look at it closer in a bit.

http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/144784/early-morning-ride.html

Mir

Post Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:40 pm   Reply with quote         

splodge wrote:
Malta? i dont remember a nite sky that's not full of fireworks while i was over there

Still the same, fireworks every weekend all summer long.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - What makes a great image - Reply to topic