Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Is there a different site for beginners? - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

buckie74

Post Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:44 pm   Reply with quote         

Is there a different site for beginners? I need something less stressful. Origionally, this was a great opportunity while waiting to move into a home on my husband's family property on Bayou Liberty, LA. It now doesn't look like that is going to happen anytime soon because the developer is trying to suck down as much Road Home money as he can and anything else he can get his hands on. I do have a nice house of my own in Covington, LA that I inherited after my mother and brother died. If you know anything about teachers, you know I had moving all planned and ready to go over the summer. Lawyers are becoming involved, and though my husband's brother is a lawyer, there certainly won't be any summer move. And now, of course, lawyers insist that we are completely mum on the subject, which is driving me insane. I'd like to stick with this site. I like the way it is run and have met wonderful people here. My attention span is getting worse, though, as the summer slips away. So, is there another site someone can recommend? I'm not good at keeping up with too many sites at the same time. I think I could handle 2 though. Patti

Post Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:11 pm   Reply with quote         

You are at the right place Smile

Look through your portfolio do you see the progression of your skills?
Do you see the entries that you asked for help on?
Do you remember all the help that you received?
I would not even call you a beginner.

You just have a little stress induced choppers block.
Try and use what ever negative energy that is pulling you down in your next chop.
Use Photoshop and this site as you would a guitar let all the bad stuff flow out.

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:11 pm   Reply with quote         

One of ReyRey's early posts...
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/81511/display.html
Laughing Wink

You might try www.Graphics.com. They have a monthly competition and no voting system. They also have a large tutorial section.

I hope you don't give up on us though. This is the BEST photoshop site I've ever seen.

Hang in there, Patti. You have a loving husband and a career.

btw, HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!!! to all the dads, too.

Post Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:14 pm   Reply with quote         

Also that peanut head chop was great.
If you look at the score there was a Tie for second which would make you third.
Very Happy

That is how I look at mine that are dangling close to the top.

Tarmac

Post Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:22 pm   Reply with quote         

Buckie, I think the stress of trying to be creative and have fun, while at the same time having things around you going wrong can be too much.

I suggest you back off, take a break from the comps, maybe put something new in every two weeks or so just to stay sharp, but basically focus on your real issues. This place will always be here, and no one will ever think the lesser of you for taking a break.

As for other sites to play at, I'll leave that for others to advise you, as I only hang out here.

Sorry for all your stress and unexpected troubles. It WILL PASS. Very Happy

Tesore

Post Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:22 pm   Reply with quote         

Sorry Buckie... we cant let you go!'

There is no exit here:

Listen to Jerry & Tarmac Wink

ScionShade

Post Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:27 pm   Reply with quote         

Stay here.
Honest.
You're fooling yourself if you think there's a place better suited to you, and frankly you're fooling yourself if you think there's a place that you are better suited for.
Stick it out here. Change one thing about yourself though....
continue to do like you are doing today, and talk....
that will bring the other things you are looking for forward
into your PSC experience.

Tommeken

Post Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:32 pm   Reply with quote         

i agree with jerryhami...
this is the best way of learning photoshop...it's not that you have to chop anything for the daily comp.
you can choose if you want to enter...
it would be sad if you'll leave this place Wink
just take it step by step and like tarmac said this place will be here forever...

and so will you Twisted Evil MWOEHAHAHAHA ----> evil laugh

Wink

Martrex

Post Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:41 pm   Reply with quote         

Also keep in mind sometimes working on PS helps you forget about the other S____ going on at least temporary. Also grab and work on the image that is a month away it is less stressful that way.
Hang in there! Shocked Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

sonic3

Post Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:49 pm   Reply with quote         

I agree with all of the above.
Their is nothing wrong with your work here, and its only a matter of time and i'm sure you'll have your first win.

I've somehow managed to win twice and i think thats due to alot of luck, plus the fact the likes of ReyRey didn't enter the comp might of helped a little Laughing

I will admit that its easy sometimes to get disheartened with yourself and think that your not improving, it doesn't help when you realise that alot of the memebers here are graphic artists of some kind or another.
But when you realise that you manage to get more votes than some of these guys, you get a buzz out of it.
Even if you dont finish anywhere near the top its just nice to know that at times you can hold your own against them.

Many of us here are never going to be as good as the likes of ReyRey and Marco (?) but it dont stop us trying/improving and enjoying what we do here.

The time to leave is when you really dont enjoy creating your art, and from what i've seen from your works you enjoy it alot. Smile

Thats it i'm beginning to ramble on now (its my age) Laughing

Oh and can i wish a happy fathers day to all those absent fathers who cant be with us, they will be in our hearts and minds for ever
Hug

buckie74

Post Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:54 pm   Reply with quote         

You guys are making me cry! Crying or Very sad Your support overwhelms me. Thank Smile you.

Post Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:59 pm   Reply with quote         

buckie74 wrote:
You guys are making me cry! Crying or Very sad Your support overwhelms me. Thank Smile you.

Hug

jerryhami

Post Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:15 pm   Reply with quote         

Here is some tutorials that I know helped a lot of people
photoshop top secret

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=photoshop+top+secret+full&aq=4&oq=photoshop+top+secret

You should be able to find most of them online.

If you have never used a pen instead of a mouse that is a good way to improve and speed things up.
It takes awhile to get use to but once you do it's pretty cool.

Mir

Post Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:20 pm   Reply with quote         

Don't give up, and don't feel pressured, just enjoy what you do. Try out some simple tutorials. We have some really good one at

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=90714743047&topic=9148&ref=mf#/pages/Space-Monkeys/90714743047

in the discusions section. You will learn something new every time you chop. That is why I chop, it really is a life long experience. When I started here four years ago I was a complete newbie too. I do sometimes look at other sites to see what they offer but I never found any where better than here.
Hang in there you have a talent you only need to caltivate it. Happy Chopping.
glennhanna

Post Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:28 pm   Reply with quote         

Try isketch.net
no, it's not a competing website, but more like Pictionary. You sketch a secret word or phrase and have people try to guess, and try to score the most points in short-played games. It's quite fun and people will tell you "Hey, good sketch!", or "Nice Giraffe!" if you sketched a horse, LOL. If you score the most points in the game, your name is shown in 3D spinning around with fireworks blasting in the background. It's like a mini art contest every 8 minutes. So if you lose, who cares, play again. No need to register either.

P.S. PSC is the best site for all skill levels with the best of people. There's room for debate whether or not there should be a beginner contest section, but there is a lot opportunities in the forums to submit artwork, share, or add to a "Add one thing to this chop" thread.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Is there a different site for beginners? - Reply to topic