Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Need Ideas for Site Design - Reply to topic

Post Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:40 pm   Reply with quote         

I'm working on this site right now called Lingo Snap (www.lingosnap.com).

Basically, what I want to do is make the entire interface based on photo links, so that small kids who don't know how to read yet can use it to learn new words in various languages.

I'm really not very happy with the color and design of the site and I'm trying to find other similar sites that have photos as a means of navigation.

Does anyone know any sites like this that I could use for inspiration. Not looking to plagerize any sites, just was hoping to get some ideas from other sites, but then still make it my own.

MonkeeDrummer

Post Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:55 pm   Reply with quote         

I like your value names "volvo" and "saab". So in the future are you going to have all the languages in the meta tag available?

Post Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:03 pm   Reply with quote         

MonkeeDrummer wrote:
I like your value names "volvo" and "saab". So in the future are you going to have all the languages in the meta tag available?

Ha, yeah, like I said, it's still under construction. I grabbed the code for the dropdown menu from an HTML site. When it's done, I will change those values, so that it opens the correct language formats.

Yes, I will slowly build up the site to have 24 popular languages. In the beginning, I'm just starting with English and Spanish. I will eventually hire people to translate the site for me in other languages.

For now though, I'm trying to work on a nice looking design.

Tesore

Post Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:00 pm   Reply with quote         

Give the borders of every subject its own colour, so 'you know where you are'. Kids love colours.
Just thinking... Wink

MonkeeDrummer

Post Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:10 pm   Reply with quote         

24 languages!? Wow... and Tesore's idea about the color is really good, another thing you could do with the colors is brighten them throughout the page. Right now it has a very professional look which is very nice, but like T said, kids love colors, so you might use brighter colors.
P.S. where did you get your domain name from?

seamusoisin

Post Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:42 pm   Reply with quote         

I think that whatever pics that they use they should be self evident. I doubt that a young child who doesn't yet read will get the signifigance of let's say the office button. Not sure if Other, and Verbs work at all. You might want to remove the words and come up with pictures and or pictograms that are self explanatory without the words. When that works put the words back. Tesore colour comment is most valid.

I like the idea f the site and would be a good learning tool. Good luck!!!

http://burlingtonscwt.wordpress.com/

Be my assbook friend

Post Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:16 pm   Reply with quote         

Ok, thanks for the input. I will definitely take the color scheme into consideration. Wondering if there are any good sites that I could see that have a fun type environment for kids.

Tesore

Post Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:13 pm   Reply with quote         

Start page for kids: http://www.startpagina.nl/kids/

It's Dutch... but the colours and the layout are universal Very Happy

Paul Von Stetina

Post Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:20 pm   Reply with quote         

Is it running? I went from English to Spanish, and I only hear English...
Show a map of the globe, and make the countries highlight in different colors, and links, so its fun for kids Wink

Post Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:17 am   Reply with quote         

Thanks Tesore. This is exactly what I'm looking for. Links to examples are great.

Paul...No, it's not up and running yet. I'm getting the design part down right now. Later I will program it to make the language drop downs work.

blue_lurker

Post Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:34 am   Reply with quote         

Ya gunna do its in aussie lingo mate, cooee cober, shave me dingo and didgeridoo me kangaroo ya bute little bludger. Wink

Post Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:11 am   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:
Ya gunna do its in aussie lingo mate, cooee cober, shave me dingo and didgeridoo me kangaroo ya bute little bludger. Wink

Ha. Maybe. I might to slang, dialects, and variations of the same language later.

TofuTheGreat

Post Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:06 pm   Reply with quote         

Not knocking on the site but it definitely reminds me of the Rosetta Stone interface and methodology.

Now to add input the first thing that came to mind is the "virtual neighborhood" kitschy idea that went around years ago (especially when VRML was big). A descendant of the theme is http://www.unclematty.com/. Don't know if that's the kind of thing you're looking for though. Confused

Post Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:12 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
Not knocking on the site but it definitely reminds me of the Rosetta Stone interface and methodology.

Now to add input the first thing that came to mind is the "virtual neighborhood" kitschy idea that went around years ago (especially when VRML was big). A descendant of the theme is http://www.unclematty.com/. Don't know if that's the kind of thing you're looking for though. Confused

Thanks for the feedback Tofu. Yeah, the site isn't completely finished yet. Regarding Rosetta Stone, the concept of using image as learning aids or as flash cards is not exclusive to their program. I've seen lots of language learning programs use images before, so I think I should be alright copyright wise.

Thanks for the link to unclematty.com, that's another great link as inspiration for the design. Trying to keep the site 100% visual and that type of homepage would work great.

Granulated

Post Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:24 pm   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:

and, "wah wah wah...we lost the Ashes..." Laughing Smile

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Need Ideas for Site Design - Reply to topic